Chilled Semen How To Ai

thinking to do just a normal AI with chilled semen from interstate

would you suggest to only do surgical or TCI or a normal every day AI would be ok ?

im thinking there is no need to do a surgical AI when u do a normal AI with fresh semen ? bit extreme? my usual vet has said they will only do surgical with fresh chilled ?

TCI and surgical are both intrauterine deposition so comparable re where the semen is going. TCI is more technically difficult so limited places will perform, but otherwise less invasive, doesnt have the same risk of creating antibody recognition of semen for subsequent breedings etc etc... all thinks you probably know.

I would have thought a normal AI would probably be OK given fresh chilled is still going to swim a lot better than frozen...

Will be interested to hear if we have breeders on the forum who have done much with fresh chilled and either vaginal or intrauterine AI.

edit typo

Edited by bridgie_cat

I'd do a TCI with chilled semen. All my reading says only limited life after warming up. Not as short as frozen but still not very long. Research the life span and then you can make an informed decision.

Edited by Rebanne

Depends on how badly you want the litter.

TCI much more dependable than just using a catheter and even chilled, the semen has to have lost a bit of its virility over time

and by being handled.