Dog Lovers Show Sydney

samoyedman

I'm unsure about the fit on Malcolm but I don't know if it's a size issue or just my poor attempt at adjusting it. The harness itself though is good quality though, it's really well-padded and I love that you can customize the labels. This is the baby 2, the larger sizes than this have a handle and I think also a spot where you can attach a flashlight.

A Papillon and a Phalene! I was so excited. :laugh:

I saw the Lagotto people doing that too, lol! The Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier people were quick to highlight their breed's low shedding coat, too. :D

Were they as quick to highlight the daily grooming requirements, too?

My sister in law won a super fancy bed in a raffle.

Jealous. I paid a show price and no delivery but still exxy.

Sheridan I didn't spend any time with the SCWT because the two dogs there were drawing a crowd because of their play/wrestling. I don't know what the breeders were saying.

The curly-coated retriever people were honest and ready to discuss potential negatives. As were the Tibetan Terrier and Samoyeds. The Leonburgers and Irish Wolfhounds just be.

Multiple greyhound rescue groups is confusing.

A Papillon and a Phalene! I was so excited. :laugh:

I saw the Lagotto people doing that too, lol! The Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier people were quick to highlight their breed's low shedding coat, too. :D

Were they as quick to highlight the daily grooming requirements, too?

I can't remember what was said to be honest. There was a 'meet the breed' type presentation where a number of questions were asked of breeders about temperament, grooming, suitable owners, exercise, etc. A wheaten breeder made a joke about how she could wear all sorts of dark colours without issue, so that's the main thing that I remembered about their interview.

We were insanely flat out the whole time, even with heaps of our team members on the stand each day helping us out.

It was great to see all the DOLers who popped by to say hello.

Every year the show reminds me how much people love dogs and it's so great to see even though it's also a huge reminder how many of the GP have no idea how to appropriately interact with dogs

I was super proud of Blaze too, she did a few great demos and had no problem working under distraction. It's a tough environment for any dog especially a young one.

Looks like the Sydney dog lovers is getting a much better haul than the melbourne did :laugh: i am glad, all we got was treats, treats and more treats. would have liked more cheap toys/decorative leads and stuff (woofy wash bag?).

I'm hoping we get to see Malcolm in his new harness!

Edited by Thistle the dog

I laughed when I first saw the woofy wash bag as it seemed like the sort of thing you could get from the supermarket for much less than it presumably costs, but it seems sturdier than the average lingerie bag and comes in three different sizes.

Another cool thing was a pack of flushable poo bags which I haven't seen before. A lot of the 'biodegradable' bags are really just plastic that breaks down into smaller bits of plastic over time. The bags last for two hours once used but start dissolving within a few seconds of being put in the toilet. flushablepoopbags.com.au

Some of the kibble and treats I wouldn't ordinarily give Malcolm (hello non-prescription Hills & RC) but others I've been wanting to try him on so the sample packs are great. Mal also gets sick of kibble about 1kg into a 3kg pack and lets out these huge dramatic sighs so it's good to have some variety for that reason too. With a roughly 4kg dog we'll be set for a while. :laugh:

The only things I bought were the Nosework harness, the SD&CH errands bag :D and the blue/yellow bags of fish treats on the left. All of those bags minus the little nibbles on the far left were $10! A cracker of a deal. The nibbles were $5 for the bag and I won't have to break them down as much as other training treats.

I will def. post a picture of Mal in his harness once I work out how to fit him in it correctly and whether it is in fact the correct size... maybe you guys can help, lol.

And Thistle, if you go next year try to be there towards the end of the last day. Exhibitors practically throw things at you! :laugh:

Edited by Papillon Kisses

I am showing off the amazing world of veterinary re-hab at the VetMed stand with my furry assistants. I would love to meet some DOLers!

Darn! Didn't know you would be there, sorry to have missed you! Who did you bring with you? Demi wasn't with you was she - she is still on my desktop wallpaper with my panto :laugh:

Tamaruke is the kennel prefix of an Australian Labradoodle breeder from what I know, not a breed of dog

There was one big stand dressed up like the other breed stands. From many years on DOL I know lots of breed names even if I sometimes get them mixed up but I'd never heard of the 'Tamaruke'. They looked just like a lab x poodle type. I didn't get a chance to go have a chat but wish I had now I've googled the name!

I looked that up online. Labrador x Poodle. I think Tamaruke may be the kennel name.

I stopped to talk to them for a bit, they've been testing and breeding for over 10yrs and sound quite responsible, they didn't like the oodle nickname that has become common so really using the kennel name to refer to them. The dogs at the stand were trained therapy dogs and one of them was in training to be placed with a family with a child with autism once training was complete.

OMG

We were swamped with people. My dogs are saints.

It was good to see so many familiar faces, some even thought I have no idea who they are :-)

Yes you were, tried to swing by to say hi again but you were 2 deep in people waiting to talk to you - lovely meeting you!

We were insanely flat out the whole time, even with heaps of our team members on the stand each day helping us out.

It was great to see all the DOLers who popped by to say hello.

Every year the show reminds me how much people love dogs and it's so great to see even though it's also a huge reminder how many of the GP have no idea how to appropriately interact with dogs

I was super proud of Blaze too, she did a few great demos and had no problem working under distraction. It's a tough environment for any dog especially a young one.

]

Good to see you huski, wish I could have come back on Sunday to meet Blaze!

I was there on the Saturday and had a great day. I even recommended it to a few people who also went and loved it :) Tried to stop Huski but you were surrounded :D

If I'd known there were DOLers on stands I would have stopped properly to say hello. I definitely stopped at the Dobes but it was pretty busy so I just got a quick pat in. I did spend quite a bit of time with the Wolfies, Rotties and the Bullmastiffs :D

Fleming has lots of lovely samples of kibble to try (I mix small amounts in with his 'normal' food for a treat), and some treats as well. Funnily enough the cat likes the treats better than he does ! Although that might be more that she thinks she's missing out rather than actually liking them :rofl:

Tamaruke is the kennel prefix of an Australian Labradoodle breeder from what I know, not a breed of dog

Its the name of the 'breed', they stay away from the Labradoodle branding, have been doing it a long time with breed recognition as a goal. Their dogs are used a lot in therapy work. I learned about them more at a course I was doing where the instructor owned one - always interesting to learn more even if it does conflict with our pedigree minds :)