Taste Of The Wild

skip

It rates Black Hawk extremely hih however it was no good for my dogs, I had muscle issues which inclded torn muscles from average hooning around, lack of muscle tone and fitness, crap coats and having to feed h7ge amoubts to keep weight on.

It is a guide, how your dog does on it is whats important

TOW is viewed as a super premium food in the US. I haven't been feeding it for long. The dogs eat it. Nothing bad has happened. Is it worth the high price? Dunno. My only whinge about it is the packaging. Teeny tiny writing on the ingredients panel and slightly confusing on the front. I may have picked up the cat one for the dogs...

I haven't noticed any improvements since using it against my last dry food which was VIP grain free! I have only used a bag but I did have problems with a couple of other foods after 1 bag (BH, Canidae, Nutro for instance).

A friend is using it too and her dog has a sensitive tummy and is fussy.

I don't feed much kibble but usually keep some around for emergencies and out of the many, many brands I've tried, ToTW is the only one I've had any luck with. Palatability seems to be an issue, from a few friends who tried it but there are several varieties- my dogs wouldn't touch the fish-based one but will eat the venison one without too much sulking.

I find the packaging less than ideal but for different reasons to Jules. With the huge bags, they can't be resealed to keep the contents fresh so you have a choice of buy in bulk (less expensive) and have stale kibble by the time you reach the bottom of the bag, or.. pay much more for the smallest bag but have fresh food. Or tip it all out into something that can be sealed- fixable enough on the consumer's end but really, how hard would it be to put a ziplock strip on the bag like some other brands have?

I had to change my dogs food before I found one that agreed with them.... They couldn't eat Earthborn holistic but they can eat BH.

I guess it's trial and error really.. Maybe email companies and see if they can send you a sample before buying a big bag.

A friend in the US feeds it to his rather large kennel because it is cheap and a decent food. He pays maybe half of what it is here and doesn't consider it super premium by any means, but pretty good. I have fed it a couple of times here but prefer Meals for Mutts

Edited by Diva

A friend in the US feeds it to his rather large kennel because it is cheap and a decent food. He pays maybe half of what it is here and doesn't consider it super premium by any means, but pretty good. I have fed it a couple of times here but prefer Meals for Mutts

That is interesting. I was on a US grooming forum yonks ago and they certainly considered it to be super premium.

That is interesting. I was on a US grooming forum yonks ago and they certainly considered it to be super premium.

TOTW was one of the first to get on the grain free bandwagon. It used to get rave reviews from people who imagined that grain free was somehow advantageous. There are a lot more grain free varieties on the market now, and TOTW has taken a few hits . . . recall for salmnonella a few years back, lots of questioning the amount of the exotic species in their more interesting versions, generally knocking Diamond (the manufacturer). I'm pretty skeptical of grain free and all the exotic claims that pet food manufacturers make these days. In the US, TOTW (big bag) is $5 or$10 more expensive than basic ProPlan or Eukanuba . . . I can't say whether it's worth it, but I guess if you believe that grain free is better, it's a reasonable choice.

• 1 month later...

I'm a big fan of TOTW and have been feeding it for years now as a supplement to a predominantly raw diet. My 3yo Shock is epileptic and TOTW is one of the only premium foods that is safe for dogs with seizures. All the other dogs have done really well on it too.

I'm a big fan of TOTW and have been feeding it for years now as a supplement to a predominantly raw diet. My 3yo Shock is epileptic and TOTW is one of the only premium foods that is safe for dogs with seizures. All the other dogs have done really well on it too.

Please tell me more?

Tried it for a while then gave it up. My 3 dogs got tummy upsets, runny poos and all that smelly jazz that goes with the upset tummy.

I gave it to my sis to try on her 2 dogs. The same outcome.

I will not buy another bag of ToW

But as with all food.... it depends on the dog

Edited by Kajtek