Training In Inner West Sydney

Katdogs

Does anyone go to either St George or Sydney ABTCs? How big are they, how well organised, any recommendation either way?

Sammy needs some basic training or at least a place with some stable dogs where I can study - with someone else checking - what's going on with his current reactivity after he was hassled by some little dogs recently.

Our Vet's puppy school trainer Diane has also been recommended (by the vet of course) as a behaviourist - anyone dealt with a Diane out of Petersham?

Okie. I'm back, on the laptop - so poor spelling and grammar is entirely my own fault - not a result of my inability to type/text on a phone.

Slightly off topic - Glen was my Aunts vet for over 15 years and Scotties too for the time we lived in Earlwood & Marrickville.

Scottie and I saw Dianne pretty much from the time we got him through til when we left the inner west. There were tears on our last day with her too. She's a genuinely good dog trainer, she builds rapport with her clients - doggy and human and her partner (both at home and work) Pete is also lovely. Scottie really LOVED Pete too - as he is a doggy masseuse and would often have a pre-class cuddle session which resulted in "just the right spots" being patted.

http://www.procanine.com.au/obedience.html

She also has some lovely poodles and it's a real joy to watch her between classes with her own guys.

By way of back story - I got Scottie in Mid-to-late November after not having a new dog for just over 15 years and the first thing I realised was I needed someone to teach me how to teach a dog again. My first words to Dianne were "we got him from the pound last week and I don't think he knows english" - We laughed about that a number of times after that. He was sitting by the end of that class and we never looked back. After the xmas break we wens tot class as often as possibe and he thrived with Dianne - loved working for her and with her and I found her level of knowledge and style suited us. She also had, at the time, the contract with City of Sydney for free puppy school for CoS residents - so I'm not the only one who saw good things in her. + there were a number of long terms clients who'd been seeing her for years (the advanced class for example) who didn't "need" training but still liked to come and work with their dogs. We never used her one on one as our behaviour issues really started just as we were leaving Marrickville but in a group setting she was wonderful and I wouldn't hesitate to use or recommend her. The only down side is she does charge a bit for the casual / week to week classes - which I didn't really mind.

Beginners classes can be large - usually around Jan - but quickly settle - you get invited up the ranks and advanced was a small group only ever 2-8 dogs max with 2 instructors. Each class runs in it's on time slot (advanced, followed by beginners then intermediate) Once you've gone up a level you're welcome to pop into a lower level if you can't make it to your class on time.

Class format depends on numbers but 1/2 is usually "obedience" sit, stay, come, heel - to level + group sits & recalls & so on. The other half if "agility" or "urban agility" - jumps, tunnels, weaves or using the play equipment. As well as some "leave it" work and recalls.

We also tried St George. Probably 6-12 months into having Scottie. I found they kept different hours to Dianne and I wanted to have more options as i was going back to uni and thought their Sunday morning class might give me more flexibility. I had a pretty negative experience there from the start. Instantly I didn't like their location - they're right on the princess hwy and their grounds are not entirely fenced. They also showed ...some move...where I moved my hand to Scotties flank which scared him - he spun around and yelped - even though I hardly touched him and I was screamed at by the instructor - like over bearing yelled at and told "DO NOT HURT YOUR DOG YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG" which was horrible they'd also snap things like "you're too slow - there's no point treating him now" and constantly told me off for holding my leash incorrectly.

There were others who had a terrible time too - a girl with poor English who they spoke to in a really condescending tone (LOUDLY. AND. SLOWLY. JUST. LIKE. THIS. - if you can imagine what I mean) and a guy who they weren't giving a lot of attention to - he struggled the whole way through the session and couldn't get his dog to do anything - then they'd single him out - or demonstrate "what he was doing wrong" with a different dog and even I felt bad - had that been me I'd have not gone back and he clearly needed a lot of help with his dog. Multiple classes ran at the same time - Beginners, intermediate, advanced and maybe complete Newbies all on the ground at the same time. With a whole group/school sit stay at the end. And now I think about it - maybe some kind of communal treat bowl - maybe a one by one come take a treat or a communal "leave it". I dunno. It was just yucky from start to finish. I never went back and while the classed were membership ($50 or $20 I think) then $2 a week I preferred to pay a lot more to see Dianne.

the too long don't read version: I really hope I don't offend anyone - but they were old fashioned and yucky. I hated it there. I shouldn't have finished the class.

Hope that helps. :)

Edited to add:

This was us graduating at Diannes - I think from intermediate to Advanced :) We also have our other procanine star on our leash to this day. I really can't speak highly enough of their service.

post-51207-0-61866300-1470897552_thumb.jpg

I can eat it??

post-51207-0-06304800-1470897997_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scottsmum

Thanks so much Scottsmum!

What you said about St George sounds just like a lot of my experience at Hurstville all-breeds. I started with Stevie a few times over the years but various negatives - food only rewards for a food obsessed dog, having to be 'in' to get attention in the higher levels, letting completely inexperienced people train (they didn't see the dogfights coming!) - after a while we'd get bored or frustrated and gave up. If you got the boss trainer it was all good, otherwise messy.

Sounds like I need a chat with Diane :)

Thanks so much Scottsmum!

What you said about St George sounds just like a lot of my experience at Hurstville all-breeds. I started with Stevie a few times over the years but various negatives - food only rewards for a food obsessed dog, having to be 'in' to get attention in the higher levels, letting completely inexperienced people train (they didn't see the dogfights coming!) - after a while we'd get bored or frustrated and gave up. If you got the boss trainer it was all good, otherwise messy.

Sounds like I need a chat with Diane :)

I think it might be a thing with the older style dog clubs - I found similar when we moved back out to Parramatta - I found a local which was totally ok. Progressive in some areas, friendly but a bit clicky and disorganised and in some aspects - not entirely interested in my and my senior pet dog.

The flip side is Dianne runs a business - its her living so she can't afford for people to feel they've been belittled, discouraged or neglected.... and it shows.

Thanks Dan. Hawthorne could be a bit busy (went there a few years ago for a look) but Concord could work once I know what I'm dealing with in terms of Sam's reactivity - and mine.

I know Hurstville changed a lot just over a year let alone several - ups and downs - so probably St George and Concord do too. I might drop in on a few of them with or without Sam to get a feel for the atmosphere. Also the driving and parking because inner west is crazy even early on a Sunday!

Edited by Katdogs

The Concord one is the one off Underwood Rd? If so, that's where my Woosie did her training before we moved to Riverwood... they were pretty good way back then...

I went to St George a few times with Pickles, and they were really good about her mobility issues... and we learned that she CAN sit on command... lol! They were also amenable to training her on a harness, as she can't wear a collar due to the hypersensitive spots on her neck. The trainer I had spent a little bit of one-on-one time with each beginner dog too.

Hawthorne were great for a few of my foster pups, even though it's really busy down there, but they managed to keep focus, and were amenable to the NOT giving food rewards if you didn't want to. They also used to allow you to join for free with rescue fosters. If you want to work with his attention during distractions, Hawthorne is probably the best place for that... and Sam will get to meet lots of dogs of different sizes all in the same place... and I mean LOTS!

T.