My Greyhound's 13Th Birthday!

mystify

My greyhound Tasha will turn 13 tomorrow ... I cannot believe she has made it this far as she was diagnosed with Mast Cell Tumors (MCT) in January 2015 and did not look like she would see out her 12th birthday. Vet suggested many invasive treatment options but at her age I did not want to subject her to that, so I joined a Canine MCT group on FB and after speaking to my vet, I started her on Golden Paste (turmeric recipe) and anti histamine tablets (MCT causes intense itching all over body from the free ranging histamines being released by the tumours itself) and changed her feeding to an organic healthier kibble with her normal fresh beef mince. Since then she has dramatically gained back all the weight she lost, stopped vomiting up her dinner, stopping having indigestion upsets and tumours started to abate and became dormant so far.

I bred Tasha but when I had to move houses, I had to sell her at 15 months old to a trainer and told him if he no longer wanted her or if she ended up no good, to give me first option to have her back as a pet. Luckily, after she failed at her 3 starts on a track (no wins, no places) the trainer contacted me and told me I could have her back.

She was nearly 3 years old when she came back to me.

From that point on, she became my second best friend, her mum Roxy was my best friend :-) but then Roxy contacted osteosacoma (spelling) in her shoulder and started to go downhill at 11 years old, she passed away in my arms at the vet (being put down due to suffering too much) 2 weeks before her 12th birthday :-(

Tasha became my comfort after Roxy's passing.. otherwise I could never have coped with my loss.

I was a trainer, but I still kept my greyhounds after they finished racing, no matter how fast or slow. I just loved them so much they were part of my family. I talked to them daily like they were my human friends.

Anyway, I digress :-) I just wanted to let everyone know what a bright personality Tasha is and to join in celebrating her 13th birthday tomorrow with me :-)

post-44457-0-42037600-1471001847_thumb.jpg

Oh and Tasha's great grandkids Diamond and Nette (8 months old) are excited to be invited to her birthday party tomorrow! lol (I only bred one litter from Tasha, so I could keep her mother's memory going with future generations, Tasha's litter all went interstate to win races, one daughter then had a litter with a breeder and I contacted the breeder to ask him if I could have one of the pups later on when they finished racing as I wanted to adopt a grand daughter of Tasha as a pet. 2 years ago, Tasha's grandkids all retired from racing and one of them was sent to me :-) called Wednesday, and late last year I bred one litter with her, Diamond and Nette are the two of the result.

Sorry for the ramble, I'll just put this in this list more clearly: Roxy mum of= Tasha mum of = Navarre mum of = Wednesday mum of = Diamond and Nette :-)

post-44457-0-18050700-1471002665_thumb.jpg