How To Pill When It Gets Difficult And They Know All Your Tricks?

Isabel964

Jindi my little Westie has a tumour. She is doing well having been given 3 months to live in January.

So far she has been quite easy to pill. I'd just put the pills in a ball of mince, or in cheese or something like that.

But in the last 24-48 hours she is not having any of that.

Her appetite has diminished too.

I've tried putting the pill down her throat but she won't swallow it and spits it up. No matter how hard I try.

The only way is if I follow the pill with a chaser, something else to swallow - which is not easy.

She has two capsules and a little codeine tablet which is very tiny. It's the capsules that tend to be the issue.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

She's come through difficult times before and I'm hoping she comes through this one too. But she needs the medication.

Edited by Isabel964

Oh. We had a thread similar to this recently. Im on my phone so a bit hard to search but will come back later. Cant remember who started it but it was called "now im an expert" or something like that :)

Its so hard when they wont pill. My last girl was like that. We actually has one of her medicines compounded into a liquid

Edited by Scottsmum

This is what works for me:

Coat the pill in something tasty and slippery - I find yoghurt works.

Open the dog's upper jaw with your hand over the muzzle. Insert the pill with your other thumb and forefinger and put it down the throat.

Close the mouth, hold the head up and stroke the throat. Once they swallow, give a treat.

You can get "pillers' from the vet that hold the pill so you can get it down the throat.

Hiding pills in balls of mince is worth a try too. Give a few without a pill to keep the dog interested.

If you get really really stuck, see if a compounding chemist will make up what you need in a paste that can be syringed down the throat.

Oh. We had a thread similar to this recently. Im on my phone so a bit hard to search but will come back later. Cant remember who started it but it was called "now im an expert" or something like that :)

It's not jumping out at me I've searched a few thing- I'm sure it was Dame Danny's Darling or Westie Mum or someone along those lines that who posted it. The thread went a bit sideways but it was helpful :)

Edit: FOUND IT!

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/266198-i-am-an-expert-on-giving-meds/page__p__6798868__hl__nutrigel__fromsearch__1#entry6798868

Hope it helps :)

Edited by Scottsmum

I am in a similar position and celebrate twice a day when the pills have gone down the hatch.

So far the one advantage I have is that my oldie was my obedience dog. When he has refused his breakfast or dinner, I have taken him into the training area, ask him to do something like a hand touch or stand while I walk around him, tell him he is brilliant and offer him a treat (with a pill in it) and he has taken it every time. I am thankful for the history of training reinforcement he has.

I am in a similar position and celebrate twice a day when the pills have gone down the hatch.

So far the one advantage I have is that my oldie was my obedience dog. When he has refused his breakfast or dinner, I have taken him into the training area, ask him to do something like a hand touch or stand while I walk around him, tell him he is brilliant and offer him a treat (with a pill in it) and he has taken it every time. I am thankful for the history of training reinforcement he has.

Sneaky. Love it. :thumbsup:

Scottsmum thank you! I was sure there was a thread but I couldn't find it.

Ptolomy, that's brilliant. That would work with my other dog.

Haredown whippets, I've tried that, she throws it up, she resists swallowing, maybe I have to get the pill way down further but it's damn hard work. Yesterday it took two of us 30 minutes of trying and failing, including blowing on her nose and stroking her throat.

Compounding into s liquid is good idea.

It's so hard when they are unwell, when their appetite diminished and they won't take the pills that are keeping them alive.

I'm even using the 'critical care' last resort food I got from the vet to help but it's not working too well.

Today is another day and I'm hoping she turns a corner.

Thank you so much for your help.????

Edited by Isabel964

Thanks, yes I see the nutrigel in the big thread.

Love the idea of nutrigel or (safe) peanut butter with the medication it smeared on the roof of the mouth - that's brilliant.

Question

Can I cut capsules open and put the medication in the nutrigel? Is there any down side to this? I have a really sharp that will be able to do it.

Thanks, yes I see the nutrigel in the big thread.

Love the idea of nutrigel or (safe) peanut butter with the medication it smeared on the roof of the mouth - that's brilliant.

Question

Can I cut capsules open and put the medication in the nutrigel? Is there any down side to this? I have a really sharp that will be able to do it.

Yes, to breaking open the capsules.

Google "bone broth" and consider making up some of that. I am never without that either.

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

Blue cheese!! Worked a treat with Mac up until the day he died!! Recently Sarah started spitting out the pills from her plastic cheese slices. Norty girl!! So her clever mother switched to blue cheese - whoosh! Down the hatch!! thumbsup1.gif

Edited by westiemum

I found soft creme cheese worked for Olivia when her appetite began to diminish. At this point though it began to become clear to me that her time was coming to an end. :(

Good luck. I hope you find something that works for you.

Mine liked the peanut coating inside a sardine with olive oil. I don't think she chewed those at all.

But I second DDD's recommendation for the nutrigel - it is specifically made for dogs that don't want to eat. Petbarn / Pet Warehouse (part of the green cross vet chain) have their own version of nutrigel which seems to work quite well too for dogs that won't eat - they do eat that.

Update: thank you so much. Jindi did eat the critical care food. I then started to give it with some minced beef or chicken or salmon, reducing the critical care good until she was back to eating normally.

I didn't have to crush it cut open capsules. The training regime is great Ptotomy, thatceouldceitkbeith my rescue is getting full on obedience trained - classes twice a week.

Jindi turned a corner, again. Yay!!!

Each time I think maybe this might be the end. And each time I hope against hope she comes good again, and she does. Soooo oooooo happy.

She is loving life. Her little Westie tail wagging so fasti is just the best joy in the world to experience.

Edited by Isabel964