Help...unruly Dog

Phantom asked about nosework. I have not seen this DVD, but maybe it will help:

Leerburg

"The Foundation of Nosework DVD

This DVD covers a foundation for nosework with your dog taught by trainer Andrew Ramsey. Nosework is a new dog sport where individuals can train their household pet to detect legal odors. It is 100% motivational training and has absolutely no corrections at any level of work."

I have the book "Fun Nosework For Dogs" and found it to be quite good.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again thank you to thistle the dog! I've no idea who you are, but I'm incredibly grateful to you for calming down the thread and your sage advice.

Gruf - perhaps you or a close relative has had a bad experience with an aggressive dog. So yes I understand your concern, but please take note, that I'm trying to seek help and also I have two walking devices on her, so if one did fail, I have a back up.

(Corvus - she recovers very quickly from reactive periods, usually within one minute, but this can happen up to 10 times during a walk, I do a lot to redirect from known trigger points, I cross the road from other dogs - my walks are very zig-zag!

Kavik- thank you for the links:)

I will start a new thread re scent training.

I'm doing my damnedest in trying to keep her and the public safe.

One thing I'm grateful for is the lack of dog behaviour knowledge I have..I've learnt so much. It will benefit so many people, what I've learnt.

I always thought since I've worked in the veterinary industry for 16 years and never been bitten by a dog (cats yes) I am good with cues and signals. This unfortunately does not translate much to "on the street" .

As an added note, she and her sister (12yr staffy X) were approached by an aggressive neighbourhood dog, (gets out 2-3times a week) whilst piper (the dog in question) reacted, she only tried keeping him at bay. She didn't attack, she only air snapped to protect myself and her sister. She could of seriously hurt him, as he was in her face, trying to get to me. So this shows me, she's is not truly aggressive.

Look at this:

http://www.dvm360.com/sites/default/files/images/pdfs-for-alfresco-articles/Ladder_Aggression_Revised.pdf

Myself and others have said it many times before. You need to see a vet behaviourist and a behavioural trainer.

This is not a 'negative' response (telling you to seek expert help). On the contrary you and your dog have everything to gain.

You even admit above that you have little understanding of behaviour. I do not understand your resistance to getting proper help for your dog.

Edited by Papillon Kisses

Myself and others have said it many times before. You need to see a vet behaviourist and a behavioural trainer.This is not a 'negative' response (telling you to seek expert help). On the contrary you and your dog have everything to gainYou even admit above that you have little understanding of behaviour. I do not understand your resistance to getting proper help for your dog.

:) I also find this hard to understand - a vet behaviourist can diagnose , and provide you with the most appropriate plan for your dog /your situation .

Phantom - if you have a car , and the engine is sounding odd - do you try the duct tape , screwdriver, blutak regime , in the hope it will sort itself out ? Normally , a mechanic's advice/expertise is sought promptly , as further damage can be done if an engine is running rough .

So - a Vet Behaviourist is the most effective way to diagnose/treat a dog with a problem :)

Edited by persephone

I appreciate everyone who gave me suggestions. I will now ask for this thread to be deleted.

To those who think I've not sought help, she has seen two dog trainers and a dog behaviouralist, who did nothing but suggest fluoxetine. At $800/consult to be told something I know...hence my reaching out.

she has seen two dog trainers and a dog behaviouralist, who did nothing but suggest fluoxetine. At $800/consult to be told something I know...hence my reaching out.
  • ..and what a shame we didn't know this at the start of the thread :( i wish you well in your journey .