Wanting Help For Rescues

I'll try to keep this short, but I do want to include all the relevant information. A pair of older Labs have been rehomed due to the sudden death of their owner. The 10 year old is very much a "me me me" dog and seems to have increased his attention seeking behaviour in the new home. He will also growl sometimes when being handled - this behaviour was noted on his previous vet records. The 12 year old has terrible hip dysplasia, seems to be in a fair amount of pain and will put himself face into a corner, between your legs or under a chair - I am thinking this is a response to the pain and not head pressing as such. He is on a course of pentosan and has just started anti inflammatories - hoping to see an improvement shortly.

The new owner is extremely caring, but unfortunately is possibly interfering in their communication :( She reprimands the younger when he humps the older - am I correct in thinking she should actively ignore the humping behaviour, as it is being done for her benefit? She is actively rejecting the pushing in of the younger dog when she cuddles the older dog - will this increase his inappropriate behaviour?

I really want this new home to work out - she is prepared to give them the life they deserve for however long they have, however I think she's over thinking the situation and her interference, however well intentioned, is causing more problems.

Grateful for any thoughts?

No way would I allow the younger dog to hump the older dog. I would calmly remove the younger dog - that dog would be directed to lie on its bed here and if it doesn't have sufficient impulse control I would remove it to a crate. That said my dogs have BUCKETS of reinforcement for lying on their beds, having their collars grabbed and lying in their crates. So that's where I'd start. Teaching the young dog what I want him to do - how to earn his reinforcement (attention, treats, going through doors etc). Pushing the younger dog away isn't going to help. But expecting him to be polite in order to EARN attention will. Does that make sense?

Thanks for your response - the situation is improving :)

No way would I allow the younger dog to hump the older dog. I would calmly remove the younger dog - that dog would be directed to lie on its bed here and if it doesn't have sufficient impulse control I would remove it to a crate. That said my dogs have BUCKETS of reinforcement for lying on their beds, having their collars grabbed and lying in their crates. So that's where I'd start. Teaching the young dog what I want him to do - how to earn his reinforcement (attention, treats, going through doors etc). Pushing the younger dog away isn't going to help. But expecting him to be polite in order to EARN attention will. Does that make sense?