Flying Dog For Holidays

Blackdog10

Hey there, just wondering if anyone has flown their dogs on a short interstate flight , ie 2 hours. And if you've got any hints or tips in preparing the dog or anything like that. He's crate trained but only been in there max 3 hours but seems fine. Will take him to the park and for a run before he flys etc. any other tips or helpful info! As you can imagine I am very nervous despite number of vets telling me he will be completely fine.

My option to fly him with me was because I'd rather him with me then in a kennel for 3 weeks.

Would love to hear from people with first hand experience please.

I wouldn't stress to much I have flown my guys interstate for holidays a few times. If he is use to being in a crate other than making sure he has had ample opportunity to toilet before you get to the airport and making sure you have flight information taped to the top of the crate with a contact number I would relax. Have you purchased the crate or are you hiring one off the airline company. If your purchasing a travel crate then he will be use to his own crate otherwise a favourite bit of bedding which he has slept on if he isn't like to chew it.

I have flown mine. Mine are crate trained and don't stress about being in crates/flown etc.

I make sure they have had a good run, but a reasonable amount of time before so they can cool off have a drink/toiket etc.

Mine wear no collars or anything to make sure they cannot get cauggt up on anything.

I use my own crates blankets etc so it's all familiar for them.

I don't feed prior to flying.

Thanks Ness. Thanks very much. I guess I'm just a big softie and I just get nervous because he's my world. I'm hiring a crate this first time just to see how he goes with the actual flying bit and then I'll buy a crate going forward if he's not phased by the whole thing. I'll definately put his blanket in there with my scent on it with him, crate comes with a padded mat, and they said he can have a few toys with him aswell. I figure for a little bit of anxiety for a few hours compared to 3 weeks of 24-7 fun and adventure together rather then the kennel I'm sure it will be worth it. Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

It's working out $400 cheaper for me to take him! Cheaper and I get my buddy with me! Hopefully it's a win win (other then my anxiety of course)

I took my old boy to NZ last year (one way trip forever hopefully) and was terribly anxious - didn't feel happy until I had him safely back with me but all went well. Lots of people do it all the time - he's probably safer being flown the two hours and staying with you than he would be in a kennel - and you're right - probably a lot happier too.

Have you thought about the other end - where he'll sleep, hire cars, food for the duration? or are you staying with family &/or friends who can help out with that.

*You said you're hiring the crate - we purchased ours for the flight (well, we didn't relise we'd purchased it - long story) but it was a god send as we used it for the first few weeks as a bed and as an actual crate while we waited for or furniture to arrive. Obviously you arent waiting for furniture but a safe secure lock up option is handy :)

Edited by Scottsmum

oh I'm so glad I'm not the only one feeling anxious like this! I'm staying with family, they're picking us up from the airport, they've got a dog bed, bowls etc, I've ordered food online and had it sent to their place and he'll sleep in the pet house on the dog bed. Their place is fully secure and set up as they used to have a dog. I think you're right though, buying the crate is a good idea!

You have no idea how much it helps to hear from people who have done it! I felt sick with worry before!

oh I'm so glad I'm not the only one feeling anxious like this! I'm staying with family, they're picking us up from the airport, they've got a dog bed, bowls etc, I've ordered food online and had it sent to their place and he'll sleep in the pet house on the dog bed. Their place is fully secure and set up as they used to have a dog. I think you're right though, buying the crate is a good idea!

You have no idea how much it helps to hear from people who have done it! I felt sick with worry before!

Sounds like you have it covered. You might not even need the the crate by sounds of things (other than for the flying obviously)

We were really thankful to have the crate - it wasn't at all planned on our behalf - but it was helpful as we lived in a house with nothing but 2 blow up mattresses, a second hand fridge and that crate for at least 10 days. :)

and it's natural to worry about them :) I cried as a loaded my boy into the pet taxi to go to the airport, but I'm a big sook too... :laugh:

Hope you have a great holiday :)

Natural to worry. I had to fly my guys to the mainland the month before last, when the Spirit of Tas sailings were cancelled. Rory hadn't flown since he flew from Perth WA to Hobart as a 10 week old nearly 8 years ago (perfectly happy then too by the way.), and Kirra hadn't flown since she flew from Melbourne as an 8 week old, 14 years ago. No problems with either of them in either direction this time. But I was really glad to see them.

I did actually have nice wide collars on them, with embroidered names and phone numbers .. just in case. And followed ness's advice about getting leads taped to the crates, and taping the info sheet to the crate. The transport guys did read those sheets too .

There's an app called Sound Proof Puppy Training (don't let the name put you off, it's for all ages) which you can use to get your dog accustomed to a bunch of different sounds, one of which is plane travel (internal aircraft noise). There's also planes in general for when your dog is being loaded. It's not complicated but you do need to read and follow the instructions.

I would also be inclined to crate train your dog prior to the flight to develop positive feelings about being crated. Follow instructions for that too, lol. As with anything if you introduce it the wrong way or too quickly there's a risk that you may sensitise a dog rather than desensitise. But done properly it will put both of you at ease. :)

Edited by Papillon Kisses

My dogs are frequent flyers ,I always pick flights that is suited to the dogs weather wise ,I wouldn't bother with the park , if your plan is to wear the dog out it won't make any difference except thirsty ,your dog needs to have ideally toileted at home and then loaded cool and calm not over heated and thirsty or have food in its tummy

I never ever leave collars on to risky to get caught if they hit turbelance and no toys or chews your dog should have minimal risks whilst crated ,if act airlines generally will say no to toys aw a risks ,

The crate door should be sparky tied by the staff or do it yourself ,I tape info on the crate and remove

Not sure what size your dog is ,I hire crates for my guys because the crates are to large and annoying at the other end ,I will take fold up crates as excess luggage .

Edited by showdog

Yes I printed out an A4 sheet with my dogs name, my name and mobile flight details and an emergency contact.

I laminated it and taped it too the top. If return I laminate the way back on the other side and just flip it and retape

Edited by OSoSwift

You guys have been so super helpful. I cannot thank you enough. I've downloaded the app and will ease him into those internal plane sounds slowly over the next little while. Very slowly so I don't scare him off it of course. He's crate trained, I just don't close him in there for long periods like this normally. He loves his crate though, if I give him a treat he runs in there and eats it, always runs there when I get home from work as if he's going to get a treat or something there. I'll just close it a bit more often over the next little while with something positive anyway just for some reinforcement.

I've made a note about the label on top of the crate and I've noted about the collar also.

I wasn't sure about exercise, he's an 18mo high energy Labrador used to two walks a day and play time aswell so I thought it'd be good to wear him out a bit but if you think not then maybe I'll leave it. It's just that he needs to be at the airport at 730am so he would've just woken up after snooring all night so I thought maybe it'd be a good idea.

Thanks again for your help

I feed him twice a day normally so I'm thinking I just won't feed him that morning of the flight and then I'll have him with again by 2pm so I'll feed him then perhaps.

My dogs are more active than yours & fly often i fly out generally on the early bird flights .I just get up early & they get to toilet,what you need to remember is there is limited water in the crate ,they have to lodged 120/90(varies from airports) mins prior to the flight once lodged you have no contact with the dog so if it drinks alot will not be able to toilet & being confined a crate means if the dog is over heated it can't move about to get comfy ,the enclosed crates now used do get warmer as well.Also it can take up to an hr for the dog to get off it flight at the other end so you don't need a thirsty dog .

Feeding is a big no no you have a breed prone to bloat you need to minimize the risk factors when flying .

I would simply concentrate on shutting the crate door & even making the dog sleep in it over night .

What you need to remember is a 2 hr flight ends up being a near 5 hr crate time .

Agree with showdog and others. Get your dog in a routine now if you're worried that will match the travel time. My Dally flew Mel-Bris-Mel aged 8.5 for the first time since a puppy. Spent three days in Brisbane and got his head together sufficiently to clean up at the Dally Nationals - Masters and Open agility/jumping and Obedience. Amazing how adaptable they are.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Thanks guys. I will skip his brecky, I might still take him for a walk at least I think. He gets super excited when he sees new people so the more tired he is the quicker he will settle.

Just wondering, as it'll be totally new to him, like he's been in his wire crate at home for a few hours and no dramas, but never in the airline type crate or with it moving around - what if he barks or gets anxious, will they still let him fly and just go with it not matter what? More like attention barking then anything else.

If the dog soils before departure it wont get loaded,barking isn't an issue ,if the dog was badly distressed they would have to use there judgement ,hence why its better to just go with the tough love approach when you drop off,the dog will now something is going on so don't make it more than it is.

Get to the airport ,do the paperwork & just load dog quickly with no good byes what ever & make sure at the other end you don't fuss or go crazy with the water ,also dont feed the dog two quickly ,it will be fine without food for a period