Gentamicin In Dogs

westiemum

Hi All,

Maybe one of our vet members here can help with this one. Gentamicin is known to be ototoxic in humans. And there seems to be some reliable discussion that it can be ototoxic in dogs.

Yet its still used in dogs and is in a popular ear treatment - Easotic. I used it once for Sarah without reading the bottle and she's now got significantly reduced hearing - yes I know a sample of one. Not sure and no evidence that it was the gentamicin in the Easotic or not but I'm mighty suspicious. I must admit I freaked a bit when I finally read the bottle.

Or have I got this completely wrong? While I know it would be unusual to prescribe it if its harmful stranger things have happened.

Thoughts?

Edited by westiemum

Deafness + loss of balance is a recognised complication in a small % of dogs given ear meds containing gentamycin. Can happen even with intact ear drums, so vets have no way to predict which dogs will be affected this way. Its not just gentamycin either, several other antifungal + antibiotic drugs we use in the ear can sometimes be ototoxic.

Deafness can of course also be caused by progression of an ear infection that is not successfully treated, so it's not always the fault of the meds when this happens.

Edited by Staranais

Thanks Staranais - it seems to me that we need to be more cautious and find substitutes for gentamicin - its certainly being widely and heavily prescribed here in South Australia.

Edited by westiemum

Funny enough we just finished a course of straight gentamicin for my afghan with long standing ear issues.. reason why was that her ear wad becoming resistant to mometamax which contains it... worked well in combo with Tricin

- yes I know a sample of one.

This is the problem (as I see it anyway :) ) with statistics. Fine until YOU are the 1 in 100,000. Going OT, naturally :D , if something is used for the greater good when it badly affects someone or something, then it behoves society to recognise that and provide for those affected.

I’m off to the dictionary for ototoxic.