Washing A Really (Really) Dirty Dog

I've been helping out with our local rescue group and I'm trying to find a way to wash a Shih-Tzu x Maltese that has a dirty oily coat.

When he was rescued, his fur has clumped together with dirt and body oil and it was really hard to wash him and we ended up having to shave him.

What's the best shampoo to break down the dirt and cut through the grease so to speak? He is currently on Prednil to help with his skin conditions and allergies which can get quite smelly at times.

We don't have a dedicated hydrobath so some volunteers have been washing him at the local "DIY" dog wash.

Honestly use Selsun Blue human shampoo. Not only is it an awesome medicated shampoo it cuts grease and grime cleans super well and leaves coat nice and clean. I know it's off label use but I've been using and recommending to clients for years with great success. If you want a dog product Sebazol (?spelling )

First off i wouldn't be taking him to a dog wash transmitting skin issues is not fun .

Dishwashing detergent can be useful BUT you must wash often afterwards as it can be harsh on the coat ,i wouldn't use it on a dog with issues at present .

If he is smelly than its most likely yeasty & it will take time to make good ,also keep in mind it may be the feet that smell & often need treating as well

We would use selsum blue (first choice)or heads n shoulders

I just bought the Selsun Blue shampoo from Coles tonight. I can't wait to try it out this weekend.

I've heard of using Dawn for washing dogs but will give Fairy a try if the shampoo doesn't work.

I will keep you guys posted. Thanks again!

I just bought the Selsun Blue shampoo from Coles tonight. I can't wait to try it out this weekend.

I've heard of using Dawn for washing dogs but will give Fairy a try if the shampoo doesn't work.

I will keep you guys posted. Thanks again!

Another thing i had been told for oily / greasy dogs was to shampoo them directly onto a dry coat.

So just pour it straight on and lather (it may need to be diluted a tad for that to work) But it did seem to work better at removing grease the time i tried it :)

I'm not sure how much grot and old skin the dog has we've had some really bad ones. So for the stubborn stuff, before a bath (selsun) I sit down, rub them in coconut oil, wait for it to soak a while then use a flea comb to comb through the grime and it lifts off nicely into the comb. Washing only does so much when the skin has been bad for so long. Anyway if you get nothing lifting off into the comb then forget I suggested it. laugh.gif

Best feed a nutritious home made diet. You've got to work from the inside out as well.

I'm not sure how much grot and old skin the dog has we've had some really bad ones. So for the stubborn stuff, before a bath (selsun) I sit down, rub them in coconut oil, wait for it to soak a while then use a flea comb to comb through the grime and it lifts off nicely into the comb. Washing only does so much when the skin has been bad for so long. Anyway if you get nothing lifting off into the comb then forget I suggested it. laugh.gif

Best feed a nutritious home made diet. You've got to work from the inside out as well.

I've never tried it for this reason - but I have have used it to get paspalum off Scottie before. The bonus was he stayed still while I massaged it in - because he was busy licking / eating the bits he could reach :laugh:

I will add - they do feel a bit lank after using it but its probably no worse than how he already feels. It's also possible the stronger shampoo will strip that oil back out.

Definitely dilute the shampoo before applying. Rinse well, really well is the trick.

In the case of a really grotty dog a hydrobath really does work better than anything else - if you are using a DIY one do make sure that you rinse it out well both before and after use.

With yeasty dogs, sometimes medication is also required and usually diet need to be looked at carefully - there is a recent thread, I'm sure someone can link you to it. Edited to add the link : here

With regard to the rescue not having a hydrobath, there is a fantastic thread here on buying a recycling pump and building your own, which can be done for around $250, I have finally gathered the last pieces for mine and it is ready to put together. I have added a commercial handpiece to my set up, which can also be used independently.

Edited by RuralPug

I've never tried it for this reason - but I have have used it to get paspalum off Scottie before. The bonus was he stayed still while I massaged it in - because he was busy licking / eating the bits he could reach :laugh:

I will add - they do feel a bit lank after using it but its probably no worse than how he already feels. It's also possible the stronger shampoo will strip that oil back out.

I'll remember that little tip! laugh.gif

Forgot to add that QV Gentle Wash (I use it when my hands get cracked - from always being washed & dried) is a good standby if the skin is thin or cracked but still needs a wash. Then a coat of coconut oil left on. That worked well for Bertie especially on his bottom and was safe for him to lick. But he wasn't a grime dog.

Sarah has had another Selsun Blue bath this morning much to her disgust! laugh.gif

And I'm really really pleased - as part of her overall treatment regime for her yeasty itchies it seems to be working very well. Think it will become my 'go to' dog shampoo for the foreseeable future.

Sarah has had another Selsun Blue bath this morning much to her disgust! laugh.gif

And I'm really really pleased - as part of her overall treatment regime for her yeasty itchies it seems to be working very well. Think it will become my 'go to' dog shampoo for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for the feedback :)