Kidney Failure

Hi members

My 6 year old girl has just been diagnosed with kidney failure :-( I'm trying to do as much research as I can, but wanted to ask here if anyone with experience could maybe offer some advise on what helped their dog to be comfortable and live as long with you as possible before that time came. I'm considering herbs as I have heard a lot about them doing good, and hoping to visit a holistic vet in the area tomorrow.

I am unsure what brought the kidney failure on, and to be honest, I wasn't happy with the vets that I took her to that gave me the diagnosis. They took blood work and that was it. Didn't even lay a hand on my girl basically except to check her hydration, which seems to be fine with the test. Hence why I am getting another vet to look at her too in the hope they can tell me more and offer more options then basically being put to sleep! I know I will lose her eventually, but I would like to do the best I can do make her as comfortable as possible for as long as possible.

I do have a copy of her blood work if anyone on here is knowledgeable in explaining it more thoroughly to me :-)

Looking forward to any advise :-)

I am sorry your girl has been diagnosed with kidney failure :(

Zoe got kidney failure when she was 13. I put her on the recommended K/D diet. She had also been diagnosed with systemic lupus at the same time.

I am sorry your girl has been diagnosed with kidney failure :(

Zoe got kidney failure when she was 13. I put her on the recommended K/D diet. She had also been diagnosed with systemic lupus at the same time.

Thanks for the reply Kavik. I did read about your girl Zoe when I done a search on Kidney failure in the forums:-( Is Zoe still with you? Sorry, I didn't exactly take note of the date on the post. How long did you have with her or how long has it been after diagnosis?

I am not sure about the K/D diet, as I am a raw feeder and anytime I have tried to be lazy in the past with my dogs, and put them on commercial dry dog food, I got nothing but bad feedback from the dogs, even with premium brands :-/

I have changed her diet as recommended by a website I found during my googling ... 50/50 meat (chicken)/ fruit and vegetables. I have added stuff that helps with kidneys. I have also made up some turmeric paste in the hope it helps with any inflammation in her body.

The vets did recommend iv fluids at a cost of $600-$800 for 3 days, but didn't sound too confident with that. I lost my confidence in them by this stage and took my girl home. I have been getting her to drink Electrolytes since yesterday and her gums have lightened (they were like cherry red and swollen above the teeth) and she is now more moist in the inner lips and gum area (previously so dry that my fingers hardly moved across them!) With the pinch test on her skin, she doesn't appear to be dehydrated at all at this stage.

I noticed today that her lymph nodes are swollen under the armpits, under her jaw at her neck and the ones in her groin :-/ But I guess that is normal considering .... ???

Do you have anyone around who can show you how to do subcutaneous fluids? It's like getting IV fluids into them except under the skin and they absorb it as needed. Might be time to get a new vet embarrass.gif get her results transferred and maybe someone here can recommend a more hands-on vet.

Ingrid was diagnosed with chronic kidney failure about 14 months ago. I looked at doing a diet myself but it really didn't look easy to manage so I put her on Hills k/d. She's done really well on the Hills so I'm not sorry. She will, hopefully, turn 16 in December. When she was first diagnosed I was so upset and thought she'd only have a short time left. She had a little trouble with incontinence so I sprinkle half a cranberry capsule over her tea and that's helped.

Second opinion definitely. Need to attend a new vet with a fresh urine sample at the least. Acute renal failure needs urgent diuresis for a positive outcome, chronic renal failure is often managed at home with diet and sometimes medication. Please let us know when you have more news!

Thanks everyone for your replies ☺ I will see what the other vet has to say. Hoping I can get in tomorrow. See, the vet didnt say anything about to flush out the toxins, just to hydrate her ???? I'll let you all know how I go with the other vet. I don't even know if she has acute or chronic! ????

What kind of kidney failure? Acute, early stage??

I see you have a second appointment. Hopefully you get more information.

I managed a dog with early stage kidney failure for another 18 months on Hills KD. IMO its time to put your feeding philosophy to one side and give the dog the best possible chance of quality of life for the longest possible time. It may be that someone has the knowledge to prescribe a raw diet that will perform the same function as a KD diet but I don't know of anyone.

Diagnosis of renal failure in a dog, while scary, is not a death sentence. I hope this is an early stage diagnosis and you have plenty of time left to share.

So, turns out she has lymphosarcoma and the kidney function is just secondary to that! To say I'm pissed off with the first vet is an understatement!!! I absolutely love our new holistic vet. She is just my kind of vet. She understands and agrees with me in doing what we can to support Nala but at the same time not allowing her to live in pain. Quality of life is utmost in my eyes, not how long I can keep her with me. I see the vet again on Monday at 10am to go thru some options for management which will include herbs and supplements. I'm currently trying to find the best diet for her and from everything I have read, high fat, moderate protein and low carb is best. I need to get her eating her vegetable mix with her mince as at the moment she is too high protein because all I can get her to eat is meat and egg at the moment.

If anyone has any advise regarding feeding for lymphoma would be greatly appreciated ☺

Maybe contact McDowell Herbals saying exactly what is wrong and what medications the vet has prescribed., the treatment they sent me for Mac's lungs has made his breathing easier.

https://www.mcdowellsherbal.com/treatments/for-dogs

I thought it interesting that there is also, in the kidney listings, a specific heading titled-->Kidney Health in Greyhounds