Pup Flying To Us From Interstate

Tint

Hi All,

Our pup is being flown to us from interstate and I was just after some tips, do's and don'ts so to speak. I know my breeder will let me know all the ins and outs, but I thought others may also have some suggestions and it will stop me bugging the breeder if I post on here :)

Do you recommend I toilet pup after collection from airport before the drive home? Or should I wait until getting home? It's only an hour flight, so I'm hoping no more than a couple of hours in the crate... Also only a 20 min drive home from airport.

What normally happens to the crate pup is flown in? Do I need to bring my own to transfer her to when I pick her up? I'm assuming the crate is owned by the transport company? What is normally put in the crate with the pup? And what paperwork should I expect to receive with her (and what should follow later?)? Anything I should request of the breeder? I'm happy to send him something to put in the crate if it will be helpful. Anything I should definitely do/not do when we pick her up?

Pup is flying from Syd to Melb.

Thanks for your replies and satisfying my curiosity, it's keeping me sane trawling here while we wait for her!

I'll try to answer a few of your questions

1. The pup will have been in the crate for more like 5+ hours by the time you pick her up (3 hours check in + 1 hour flight + approx 3/4 hour before she gets to collection after the plane lands)

2. Since you live so close to the airport, I would not be putting her on the ground at the airport. If she tiddles, so be it!

3. the crate might belong to the freight company or it might be included in the price so ask the breeder. Again, it might or might not have some dry bed in it (which you have paid for) so take it with you as it can be washed and used again.

4. Either transfer her to your own crate or get someone to drive you so that you can cuddle her for the short drive home- if unsure - take a crate. - Just make sure she sits quietly on your knee and does not try to do zoomies round the car. Do not expect her to stay in a cardboard box of anything like that - at 8+ weeks she will want to investigate.

5. I never put toys or anything in the crate except maybe a blanket/dry bed - pups love roughing up the newspaper that will be in there

6. Pups are often a bit traumatised by the experience so she may be reluctant to come out of the crate - just take your time and encourage her out.

Any other questions?

Good Luck - I am sure she will be lovely and settle in very quickly!

I never put anything in the crate when sending puppies except their blanket, most airlines do not even allow water containers in the crate for such a short flight, putting toys in the crate, yes they are in the crate for at least five hours, as it presents a choking situation should they chew a bit off.

I put all paper work in an envelope and attach to the top of the crate with the breeder's name and phone number.

Inquire with the breeder if they are hiring the crate or including it in the over all price, always handy to have the crate for transport to the vet, btw I would be taking your puppy to the vet within 48 hours for a vet check, I always tell my purchasers to do that.

My pup flew from Perth to Brisbane, on a very late night flight, arrived the following morning around 5.00 am. This worked in well with natural sleep patterns. Breeder gave me name of the freight company, so I just dealt directly with them, but booking with all details breeder had already provided, date, time of flight. He already knew her preference for style and size of crate, so I just went with his suggestions. It was pretty easy and straightforward. I then forwarded confirmation of booking and payment to breeder. Crate was only hired for trip, with newspaper in the base. We had about a 15 minute drive home, so waited till we got home for toileting. She arrived fairly nonplussed about the whole thing. I did notice from photos that the breeder introduced crate training fairly early, which may have helped with preparing the pup for the trip. Paperwork was in a big envelope taped on the outside of the crate. Everything was in a folder with the plastic inserts; puppy feeding, care, pedigree, etc. Good luck, it's a pretty exciting time for you.

Edited by JayGee

Our experience with recently transporting my parents' puppy from the Gold Coast to Sydney

Do you recommend I toilet pup after collection from airport before the drive home? Or should I wait until getting home? It's only an hour flight, so I'm hoping no more than a couple of hours in the crate... Also only a 20 min drive home from airport.

We didn't toilet the pup after the flight, however the transport company had a sanitized area where they usually take the animals to have water and relieve themselves. Something to consider: depending on age the pup probably wouldn't have had all her shots so it may be best not to toilet where other dogs of unknown health and vaccination status may have been.

What normally happens to the crate pup is flown in? Do I need to bring my own to transfer her to when I pick her up? I'm assuming the crate is owned by the transport company? What is normally put in the crate with the pup?

Ask the breeder/transport company. In our case the crate was the property of the transport company so they kept it, but sometimes the crate is purchased as part of the package. We took a carrier to pick up the pup but didn't end up using it as he was unsettled (had been through a bit of an ordeal) and preferred to be held.

As a standard the crate usually contains vet bed and a water bowl. Our breeder also put in a towel and a small soft toy which were familiar to the pup and smelled of (his initial) home. These were a great comfort to our puppy (when I gave the toy back to him in the car he instantly settled), though he did spill his water on the towel and got it wet. In saying that my parents' puppy doesn't destroy toys and if your puppy is inclined to do that you may not want to put in a toy due to the choking hazard as mentioned above. Speak to your breeder about what they do/recommend, but I think having something whether a towel or blanket or a little toy that are familiar and smell of her previous home can be comforting provided it's safe to do so.

And what paperwork should I expect to receive with her (and what should follow later?)? Anything I should request of the breeder? I'm happy to send him something to put in the crate if it will be helpful. Anything I should definitely do/not do when we pick her up?

My dad needed photo ID to collect the puppy and he signed a form to say he had picked him up. No other documentation was needed in our case, but ask the breeder to confirm. Bring water and a small amount of food. I didn't get out the food, but perhaps should have as the puppy was very low on energy which I didn't realise until I gave him food when he arrived home about 40mins later. In his case though he was in the crate much longer than anticipated: 6 hours due to flight and plane problems and had missed a meal. So you may not need the food given you are very close and hopefully won't have any problems.

It's not really necessary, but I also brought with me an Adaptil collar. I needed to air it first as it initially has a strong chemical smell and I think the puppy may also have been a little confused (looking for mum). Adaptil products release a pheromone which dogs find calming and it can help puppies transition to their new home.

Edited by Papillon Kisses

Word of warning:

Do NOT under ANY circumstances open the crate until you are in a secure (think fenced) area or room.

It is better that the pup toilet in the crate than do a runner when you open the door OR slip its collar or lead. If you don't own the crate then you need to bring one with you to transfer the pup into for the trip home.

Or take the pup home and open the crate there.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

What to do keep it simple ,collect pup take it home,place in backyard ,sit calmly with it and let it settle.

You don't need to take food ,diffusers ,Water yes,take a garbage bag in case pup has messed on the bedding and a old towel and either wet ones or a damp towel in case it has dolled and you can wipi it over .

Most of your questions your breeder will inform

Crate generally is hired especially as must pups will outgrow the crate sent over in .

When getting pup out keep it calm ,there is plenty of time for getting excited the airport isn't that place

Edited by showdog

If you don't otherwise have a small crate - pending on breed the cost to purchase something like a PP40 through the airlines is only $20 more then it costs to hire. Not sure what breed you have but I have a BC and decided to purchase one as it would last me about a month or so before she outgrew it. I have larger crates from having had previous dogs but it was nice having a small crate I could have her in in the car for the first few weeks and a smaller crate in my room overnight which took up less room. I have held onto it for the moment but I figured I could always get the money back at some stage if I needed.

I flew a kitten recently and the airline was very clear - no paperwork /puppy packs etc to be stuck on the crate or sent with it.

Edit: and my sister's new havanese pup was flown and where you pick it up I don't think it's safe enough to take the pup out and toilet - I think wait til you get home and the pup is a bit less overwhelmed as the airport can be a noisy, windy place for a pup

Edited by mackiemad

I got our pup over a month ago.

He was flown in and his puppy pack posted a week later (had to wait for certificate). He walked out the door, we carried him over the road to the car. We then stopped at a petrol station and let him out to toilet. We had to drive home which was 4 hours away and he was 9 weeks old. We did 2 other stops and let him off on the side of the road, not in public spaces as such. Id make him wait if you could.

The crate was rented so I asked for it to be returned to the breeder.

For such a short trip I wouldn't bother with taking water/food/etc. For details such as crate/puppy pack/toys you'll have to work that out with the breeder.

What we normally do with puppies when we pick them up is put a collar & lead on, quickly give them a toilet break somewhere away from the main traffic area & go.

I've never seen a dog or puppy that we've picked up be traumatised from the flight - I know when we picked up my dog as a puppy he was SO excited to see us and it's the same with most dogs in my experience.

When we get them out of the crate (if it's a hire) we open the door enough to put our hands in & put collar & lead on before letting them out. Mostly just use common sense and you'll be right :) It's exciting!!!