Dog Breed Chart Help

Jack_E

Hi all,

I have recently been making a table in order to decide what dog breed is right for my family, but also just as a bit of a hobby. I figured I'd share it on this forum in order to hopefully get some info as to what websites are reliable to collect information from to complete the table, or any information that may go well with the table that I have not already put on there, or any dog breeds that are similar to the ones displayed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :D

If you are unsure what all the slashes and N/A's mean, the slashes are for dogs that I have been unable to find any breeders in Victoria, and for some of the breeds I have even looked in NSW, and the N/A is for dog breeds that are illegal in Australia.

Thanks, Jack

Dog breed chart.pdf

You missed a very important column though.... temperament and what lifestyle the breed suits. The dogs you have listed are so varied and nothing like each other breed. Not all will suit your lifestyle or circumstance. Health and price is important, but temperament is equally as important.

You missed a very important column though.... temperament and what lifestyle the breed suits. The dogs you have listed are so varied and nothing like each other breed. Not all will suit your lifestyle or circumstance. Health and price is important, but temperament is equally as important.

Thanks for the info Anne. On this table I am trying to keep it very factual and measurable. When I first started looking at all these breeds it was around December last year and my first criteria was size, however I have further researched these breeds into areas such as temperament. Whilst there are a lot of dogs on this list, I have no intention of owning many of them, however I still wanted to put them on my table due to similar shared physical characteristics, as I wish to make the table as extensive as I can with these breeds. Do you have any suggestions for reliable websites that have information that covers overall common breed temperament, rather than just some anecdotal evidence?

For your Hovawart link they should be tested for HD, ED, eyes and OCD (shoulder issue), they also can suffer from Bloat

Ideally they should have also passed a bonitation as a Hovawart should not be nervous or overly aggressive.

--Lhok

For your Hovawart link they should be tested for HD, ED, eyes and OCD (shoulder issue), they also can suffer from Bloat

Ideally they should have also passed a bonitation as a Hovawart should not be nervous or overly aggressive.

--Lhok

Thanks!

Thanks for the info Anne. On this table I am trying to keep it very factual and measurable. When I first started looking at all these breeds it was around December last year and my first criteria was size, however I have further researched these breeds into areas such as temperament. Whilst there are a lot of dogs on this list, I have no intention of owning many of them, however I still wanted to put them on my table due to similar shared physical characteristics, as I wish to make the table as extensive as I can with these breeds. Do you have any suggestions for reliable websites that have information that covers overall common breed temperament, rather than just some anecdotal evidence?

Your purebred puppy

Personally I'd be figuring out what temperament I want in a dog first. Dogs of similar physical characteristics can have quite varied temperaments dependent on the function they were developed for.

You're also going to have some trouble finding quite a few of those breeds. Starting with the ANKC recognised breeds would narrow the field.

I'd not restrict your search to Victoria, especially for some of the rarer breeds.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Your purebred puppy

Personally I'd be figuring out what temperament I want in a dog first. Dogs of similar physical characteristics can have quite varied temperaments dependent on the function they were developed for.

You're also going to have some trouble finding quite a few of those breeds. Starting with the ANKC recognised breeds would narrow the field.

I'd not restrict your search to Victoria, especially for some of the rarer breeds.

Thanks for that, I'll be sure to use that website. For our family dog, I am not necessarily following the same requirements as I am for this table. I created a thread a month or so ago asking for help on what breed would be right for us, Which helped me narrow down what breed is for us somewhat, but we most likely won't be getting the puppy until at least mid to late next year, I have been just sticking to similar physical characteristics for the table. Thanks for the help, looks like a temperament column is up next :thumbsup:

Thanks for that, I'll be sure to use that website. For our family dog, I am not necessarily following the same requirements as I am for this table. I created a thread a month or so ago asking for help on what breed would be right for us, Which helped me narrow down what breed is for us somewhat, but we most likely won't be getting the puppy until at least mid to late next year, I have been just sticking to similar physical characteristics for the table. Thanks for the help, looks like a temperament column is up next :thumbsup:

Most of my friends with dogs agree with those website reviews - more or less.

I went about my dog search differently.

I noted what I wanted:

Stocky build

Square head

weight approx 10kg

Outgoing , confident personality

Preferably a terrier, but not limited to that.

So I looked at the breed standard for a lot of breeds, narrowed it down and decided on a westie. He is exactly what I wanted. I'm horrified to own a SWF, but he is utterly perfect.

You have a lot of different types (look, build, personality, drives) on your list. I'd suggest objectively listing the traits you want and then cross referencing them to the dogs on your list and further investigating the ones that fit your desirable traits.

I went about my dog search differently.

I noted what I wanted:

Stocky build

Square head

weight approx 10kg

Outgoing , confident personality

Preferably a terrier, but not limited to that.

So I looked at the breed standard for a lot of breeds, narrowed it down and decided on a westie. He is exactly what I wanted. I'm horrified to own a SWF, but he is utterly perfect.

You have a lot of different types (look, build, personality, drives) on your list. I'd suggest objectively listing the traits you want and then cross referencing them to the dogs on your list and further investigating the ones that fit your desirable traits.

Thank you for all the help. I think I've narrowed down the list of dogs that I want ideally to the cane Corso, Rottweiler, Scott type American Bulldog or German shepherd. I like a lot of the characteristics of the Anatolian shepherd and the boerboel, however I don't know if I'd be a suitable owner for those breeds. I understand that in terms of both looks and temperament these dogs are all different, however I'm not really using the table too much to choose a breed anymore, I'm more so just doing it as I enjoy making the table and learning about these dog breeds. I really appreciate all the feedback!

For purebred dogs, I'd speak to the breed clubs and peruse their sites.

I'm glad to see that you're now considering including a column for temperament.

For the dobie, health problems are DCM (Dilated Cardio Myopathy spelling sorry), Von Wilderbrands disease, Wobblers and history of cancer.

Testing is Von Wilderbrands, DCM (only 1 gene at the moment unfortunately) and DINGS.

Just a note - the breed is not called 'Great Pyrenees' in Australia (or anywhere except North America). It is Pyrenean Mountain Dog.

I recommend going to the website of the Pyrenean Mountain Dog Club if Victoria for info on breeders (more than you have listed in Vic).

Agree very much on comments regarding temperament as the breeds on your list are all very very different. A good basic guide to Pyr temperament: http://itsdogornothing.com/so-you-want-a-great-pyrenees/

The two issues health-wise you have mentioned are certainly the main ones to consider for the breed, but not the only ones. Here is a basic summary on the main ones (though I still need to add info on Neuronal Degeneration) http://espinay.com/health-issues

For the dobie, health problems are DCM (Dilated Cardio Myopathy spelling sorry), Von Wilderbrands disease, Wobblers and history of cancer.

Testing is Von Wilderbrands, DCM (only 1 gene at the moment unfortunately) and DINGS.

Thanks for the info :)

Just a note - the breed is not called 'Great Pyrenees' in Australia (or anywhere except North America). It is Pyrenean Mountain Dog.

I recommend going to the website of the Pyrenean Mountain Dog Club if Victoria for info on breeders (more than you have listed in Vic).

Agree very much on comments regarding temperament as the breeds on your list are all very very different. A good basic guide to Pyr temperament: http://itsdogornothing.com/so-you-want-a-great-pyrenees/

The two issues health-wise you have mentioned are certainly the main ones to consider for the breed, but not the only ones. Here is a basic summary on the main ones (though I still need to add info on Neuronal Degeneration) http://espinay.com/health-issues

Thanks for all the info. I'll be sure to add he other health issues and change the name

Bit too foxy in the face for me, plus they sound like escape artists (looking at the link earlier on the thread). I live on a main road, so that would really concern me. I had a cat at the time as well, so needed something that would work with her. She was used to a staffy, so I thought she'd quickly put a westie pup in its place. Unfortunately, she died exactly four weeks after my dog :( she was nearing 17, but it was still a shock to take her to the vet and be told she had days to live.

Bit too foxy in the face for me, plus they sound like escape artists (looking at the link earlier on the thread). I live on a main road, so that would really concern me. I had a cat at the time as well, so needed something that would work with her. She was used to a staffy, so I thought she'd quickly put a westie pup in its place. Unfortunately, she died exactly four weeks after my dog :( she was nearing 17, but it was still a shock to take her to the vet and be told she had days to live.

yeah... they do have certain gifts in that area *looking at Loki who could scale 6 foot fences, no problem.* but the cat wouldn't have been a problem. Cats put shiba puppies in their place very quickly :D I'm sorry to hear about your cat. I know that very feeling, I took one of my dogs to the vet and was told he wouldn't last the day. :( (stupid Lymphoma :mad )