Forget It.

*kirty*

I don't know what it is but some dogs seem to attract humpers. The one I know doesn't have any physical abnormalities, but it's like he emits a 'hump me' radar. Every. single. dog. wants to hump him except Malcolm, he doesn't, but this cavvie is one of his very very few friends. Malcolm hates any dog who doesn't respect his need for space or so much as looks at him 'wrong' / too long. Others he tolerates, but he doesn't usually want anything to do with them, like those kids you sometimes see in playgrounds who are just absorbed in their own thing. However, this dog he adores and they play really well together.

I don't know if that helps at all, probably not lol. Maybe the humpees have body language that says "I'm not the slightest bit of a threat" or "you're safe with me" and they're taken advantage of by other dogs? Because Mr Cavvie also does absolutely nothing when humped by other dogs. He just cops it then continues on with whatever he was doing.

Anyway I'd be keeping the two dogs separate as being humped with severely laxating patellas has got to be very painful even if poor Sprite isn't reacting to it.

I had an elderly mini schnauzer who would come to the park with me and his younger mini schnauzer 'brother'. A large number of dogs would try to hump him but strangely not the younger boy. I put it down to his age and a show of dominance. Thankfully, the younger boy would also show his displeasure towards the humpers and get rid of them forthwith.

I don't know what it is but some dogs seem to attract humpers. The one I know doesn't have any physical abnormalities, but it's like he emits a 'hump me' radar. Every. single. dog. wants to hump him except Malcolm, he doesn't, but this cavvie is one of his very very few friends. Malcolm hates any dog who doesn't respect his need for space or so much as looks at him 'wrong' / too long. Others he tolerates, but he doesn't usually want anything to do with them, like those kids you sometimes see in playgrounds who are just absorbed in their own thing. However, this dog he adores and they play really well together.

I don't know if that helps at all, probably not lol. Maybe the humpees have body language that says "I'm not the slightest bit of a threat" or "you're safe with me" and they're taken advantage of by other dogs? Because Mr Cavvie also does absolutely nothing when humped by other dogs. He just cops it then continues on with whatever he was doing.

Anyway I'd be keeping the two dogs separate as being humped with severely laxating patellas has got to be very painful even if poor Sprite isn't reacting to it.

YES! this is poor Deniki.

He is always humped, all the time. I thought at first it was because he was entire, but he is now desexed and has been for some time and still everyone humps him.

I would say it doesn't really matter what the reason is ,its just time to keep them separate , i agree with the poster that said it must be painful for the dog with its issues & no fun being constantly harassed & given how fragile Iggys can be i would be worried about snapping bones .

I would say it doesn't really matter what the reason is ,its just time to keep them separate , i agree with the poster that said it must be painful for the dog with its issues & no fun being constantly harassed & given how fragile Iggys can be i would be worried about snapping bones .

To be quite frank it sounds like the wrong foster home. Painful and stressful for a frail dog.

If a more suitable placement can't be found, its time to bust out the crates.

She isn't constantly being harassed and she isn't stressed. Most of the time they are snuggled up asleep or playing happily.

And considering I own 3 Iggies and have fostered 13 or 14, I think I am well aware of how fragile they are. This dog is at no risk and it's disappointing that people want to jump to conclusions from a snippet of info. Seriously I asked for thoughts about what might be triggering the behaviour, not a judgement on my ability to care for my dogs.

Edited by *kirty*

1st is I have no Iggy experience, just others incl geriatrics.

Thing that sprang to mind is it's all very exciting and the ones who are less able or less inclined to tell other dogs to get lost are eyed off by humpy dogs like a teddy or a lounge cushion would be. I think your swift constant correction = no fun, and will end it. She'll soon be crated for a long time, so if it really came down to it I'd use baby gates to separate pest from delicate. laugh.gif

I'm interested to hear about the surgery! Is there a thread?

it's disappointing that people want to jump to conclusions from a snippet of info. Seriously I asked for thoughts about what might be triggering the behaviour, not a judgement on my ability to care for my dogs.

Well i guess some of us care less why its humping and concerned more on the dog on the receiving end .

my dog Jolie is constantly hunping Sprite.

She isn't constantly being harassed

If your happy for the foster to be humped with patella issues then why ask advice if you didn't want the answers

I didn't ask for advice. I asked for thoughts on why she was doing that. Seriously, how long have I been on this god damn forum? Do you think I would sit there and let Jolie harass Sprite? This has nothing to do with rescue. This is people wanting to jump to conclusions and belittle other people. I should have said "constantly TRYING" to hump her.

Oh kirty, don't feel bad about what you're doing! You are in the home with the dogs, no one else so you know best how everyone is coping!

I still have foster dog Molly despite the universal advice that we are not the right foster home for her (has to be totally separated from my three dogs due to an inclination to fight from both sides) - I trust my ability to know whether all the dogs are coping ok and the good outweighs the bad, and I trust you to do the same in your home.

Re the humping, it just seems to be SUCH a complex behaviour that means different things to different dogs and different things to the same dogs at different times, so I really have no advice there, sorry!

Edited by Simply Grand