Raised Feeding Station

kwirky

Does anyone know whether there are any health benefits with having a large dog eat from a raised feeding station? To me it would seem a good idea from a purely postural perspective but are there pros and cons for this?

Thanks

All my large breed dogs are feed from stands have done so for near 30 yrs

There is no right or wrong,some bloat research says yes some say no to raised feeding.

I feed raised from puppies because there posture is better & they eat calmer & don't chase the bowl around the floor.

All my large breed dogs are feed from stands have done so for near 30 yrs

There is no right or wrong,some bloat research says yes some say no to raised feeding.

I feed raised from puppies because there posture is better & they eat calmer & don't chase the bowl around the floor.

Thank you so much for your feedback. What sort of height do you use? There are so many and I am not sure if there is a guideline. I have a BIG golden retriever so an idea of how to measure would be great.

I choose not to raise their food as a vet who i used to know said not to. He used to do talks/lectures on bloat, he said they take in more air while they are eating from raised food. He also said don't soak dry food with water, mix dry food with some wet food for a lubricant, don't feed them 1hr before or 2hrs after exercise, don't let them guzzle water and give multiple small meals rather than 1 big meal a day. However he said you could do all this and the dog can still bloat, genetics and breed play a big role too. But there are so many theories..