Electric Fencing

Morgan brand

So I have just recently put a visible Hotwire around the bottom of my ringlock fencing to ensure my sharpei does not get out and get to the landlords sheep. As soon as he does he will immediately be put down.

He has been zapped twice and has learnt the fence is scary and not to go in it but my Maremma has also been zapped twice and now is scared of outside! She doesn't like to be outside because she thinks outside she'll get zapped. I've played with her outside walked around with her and told her the fence is bad and "ouch don't touch the fence". The fence has only been up for 2 days and she is still scared of being outside. It has improved a bit since Sunday but I'm really unsure what else to do to get her used to it as she can't stay inside and I can't have her keep jumping on the door to come in as she has already broken the fly screen.

Please no negative comments I've done what I've had to do to ensure the Sheeps safety and my dogs safety

My maremma wouldn't cope without my sharpei. I had them in a run and they were so destructive in it they hated it they would dig to get out and they have a large backyard to roam in about an acre.

The fence doesn't really hurt them it's just a small zap and my maremma is a sooky dog in general. I just want to know if continually being outside with her playing with her will get better in time.

I had this happen with a border collie and he would never go near that area of the garden again. It wasn't a major hassle though as it was just one area.

You are going to have to work at making the garden a nice place to be. Playing might not cut it for her. Might need super nice treats or food.

Could she see the sheep when she got zapped? Don't know if that would cause extra trauma given her breed.

Hopefully some Maremma folk will be in to help. I've house minded for a friend with Maremma's a few times and they are easily spooked. Banging my shoes together a couple of times to get the loose grass off put them out of sorts all day! And I moved a blue plastic crate to where they went through the gate into the other paddock and they wouldn't go anywhere near the gate until I realised what I had done and moved it.

Good luck. :)

No she couldn't see the sheep at all. I'm willing to work with her outside and I've been spending extra time with her outside just hoping it gets better in time! She's fine if I'm outside with her but then as soon as I go in she wants to come in. I've had border collies with mum and dad always getting zapped and never had this issue before. She has slightly improved as Monday she stayed inside the whole day while I was at work.

They definitely don't go near the fence though now

hhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

so a few questions first:

1. how old is your Maremma?

2. does the electric fencing have visibility markers near by ie flags or something so your uber smart and sensitive Maremma ( IMHO this goes with just being a Maremma :) but I could be a tad biased.) can easily see where the boundary is?

as a breed they are the obsessive compulsives of the dog world. everything must be just so! nothing must be out of what the Maremma views as its place..:) otherwise they can either down tools or bark until it has been returned to its place. The zap from the electric fence has seared into her brain that outside has become a place of pain and danger and she needs to learn that the danger area is very specific.

H

• Like 1

Five days in so far. Many damaged fly screens and even a broken louvre window. But finally starting to get somewhere. She now goes outside by herself as I have spent a lot of time out there with her acting normal as I was instructed. There aren't specific markers or flags just an electric wire coming off of our fence.

I know what you mean they notice if the bin has been moved in the wrong spot and will bark to let you know. I'm hoping this improvement will keep getting better as the days go on

She's 8 months old so still a baby and a very big sooky baby

• 7 months later...

Yeah, If the electric fence could make a sound, then the dog would automatically hear the sense of restricted area which won't allow to enter inside. After reading all the comments I suddenly got to remember about my Maremma living in our outhouse with my uncle. As your Maremma use to run out of your house, mine was having the habit of playing around the swimming pool area, which I found quite dangerous as just a few days ago he fell down in the pool and could not able to swim. So to avoid the future accidents, one of my friends who is architecture suggested me to have a glass pool fencing done by Glass Pool Fencing Sydney as he lives in New South Wales (Aus). After fitting glass pool fencing we are now very relaxed for my Maremma.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rosebooth said:

Yeah, If the electric fence could make a sound, then the dog would automatically hear the sense of restricted area which won't allow to enter inside. After reading all the comments I suddenly got to remember about my Maremma living in our outhouse with my uncle. As your Maremma use to run out of your house, mine was having the habit of playing around the swimming pool area, which I found quite dangerous as just a few days ago he fell down in the pool and could not able to swim. So to avoid the future accidents, one of my friends who is architecture suggested me to have a glass pool fencing done by Glass Pool Fencing Sydney as he lives in New South Wales (Aus). After fitting glass pool fencing we are now very relaxed for my Maremma.

Welcome rosebooth! Would absolutely love to see a picture of your Maremma!!
And thank you so much, I know you didn't do it on purpose, but you gave me a lovely giggle with your mention of your uncle living in the outhouse with your Maremma, because where I grew up "outhouse" meant an outside unplumbed toilet and that would have been a tight squeeze! 
Your English is better than many born in this country, I might add, but that image made me laugh - it has made my day! Thank you!

Hey RuralPug!!! I got my mistake, and apologize for the same. I actually didn't did it purposely, I meant a farmhouse attached with our guesthouse, but in excitement to share my experience with you All I mistakenly wrote it as an outhouse.

• Like 1