Full Mains Papers Not Recived

StaffymumWA

Hey There,

We have had our pup now for three months (she is almost 5 months old) and we are still yet to receive her papers.

I have emails stating we would receive them and I have been in contact with the breeder many times and now I feel like maybe she is making excuses (first time owning a purebred with papers so Im not sure of timeframes).

When we last spoke she had to resubmit the papers as they have changed the microchip process (due to not having the barcode or something so we had to give her the microchip numbers and chosen name again).

I have checked with dogs west and she has registered the litter, I gave them our puppies microchip number (this was done the day before we got the pip) but this was not registered in our name its in her name.... does anyone have a way we can change this? Also when / how should I escalate this issue of not receiving the papers? Is their a way to alter the papers if we get them and they are wrong? She has asked what name we would like on the papers about 5 times.

is this a common occurrence?

Any help is appreciated

Edited by StaffymumWA

Staffymum, in most states when the breeder breeds a litter the state body (in your case Dogs WA) register the whole litter in the breeders name. The body then issues these papers to the breeder who then passes them on to the new owners. As the vast majority of puppies are in pet homes with non members these puppies as far as the state body are concerned stay in the breeders name. This doesn't mean that the breeder still owns the puppy only that they have not transferred the ownership of puppy with the state body, which in most states is something the breeder can not do.

When the owner (in your case that is you) receives the papers it is up to them to transfer the puppy into their own name with the state body. You then get issued a nice new pedigree with your name as the owner of the dog.

With regards to the chip number, those stickers are a pest. You use to be able to write the number in on the form but now you are required to use one of the stickers you get when the vet chips the puppy. A lot of breeders will wait until the litter is all sold before registering the litter as you must register every puppy in the litter at the same time and if people are choosing their own names (which is often not the case) that can mean things take a bit longer. My litter the turn around time for lodgement of the paper work to collection of papers was 3 weeks. So add a bit of toing and froing and the time can extend out quite easily. Don't panic, DogsWA are saying the puppy is registered so more than likely the papers are either on their way to the breeder (and we know what Australia post is like these days!) or on their way to you.

Does that help you any? It can be confusing. Congrats on the puppy! :thumbsup:

It does Natsu chan, thank you :)

I will leave it another month then ask her again if I am yet to see anything.

and Thank you we love her so much and cant imagine life without her.

I wouldn't leave it another month I'd be chasing them up now. if you get no joy from the breeder then go to Dogs West ( or whatever they are called ). Do you have proof like a reciept or email from the breeder saying your pup was to come with main papers? Include a copy of that in your correspondence. I am surprised you had to give the breeder a microchip number, did they not chip the pups before selling them?

Agree with Rebanne, I wouldn't leave it. The COE says this for DogsWest:

A member shall provide to all recipients of dogs sold or otherwise disposed of by that member,

written details of:

2.30.1 The breed characteristics;

2.30.2 Vaccination record and / or requirements;

2.30.3 Responsible dog ownership information; and

2.30.4 All documentation required by the member’s Member Body, including a written receipt

clearly stating whether the dog was sold with or without a Certificate of Registration

(Main or Limited) and any other conditions. For the purposes of this Code "with or

without papers" shall mean the Certificate of Registration. 04/08

Did you get this?

So I couldn't log in over the weekend for some silly reason and my password reset wouldn't work :(

I got home Friday and the papers were in the letter box so now we just have to fill in the two forms and its done, we also need to pick a new papered name as the name we put forward was rejected.

Thanks for all your help everyone

So I couldn't log in over the weekend for some silly reason and my password reset wouldn't work :(

I got home Friday and the papers were in the letter box so now we just have to fill in the two forms and its done, we also need to pick a new papered name as the name we put forward was rejected.

Thanks for all your help everyone

Wth the name are you saying you have his mains and wish to change his name ?

You can apply for name changes but it's not done often and it depends on what your are wanting and whether it meets the criteria ,You submit two names so I guess both where rejected ?