9 Week Old Staffy Puppy Not Eating And Underweight

Darby

We bought a blue staffy puppy from a breeder a week ago. He was one of the smaller pups in the litter and a little skinny for a staffy but seemed healthy enough and had been vet checked etc.

Since we've had him home he hardly seems interested in food at all. The breeder said he was feeding them advance canned puppy food so we have tried to continue with this but have also tried mixing it with mince and black hawk puppy pellets soaked in water. Most of the time he won't touch his food at all or only eat very small amounts.

He is playful sometimes but does seem very sleepy a lot of the time and seems to be quite sad. We took him to the vet yesterday and he only weighed 1.9kg which is very small for 9 weeks. The vet wormed him again but seemed a little worried something else was going on so took a blood sample.

Is it possible that it's just a separation thing and needs time to adjust or should we be concerned?

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. My kids will be devastated if anything happens to him!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are his poos like? If soft/runny, I'd be looking at a prophylactic dose of Baycox... it's for pigs, but is used off-label in puppies to treat coccidia in a single dose, rather than a 10 day course of very bitter Trizene tablets that pups REALLY hate!

Is he growing at all? I've had pups who would go off their food every other week as they had growth spurts - one week you couldn't feed them enough, and the next they would turn their nose up at almost everything.

Have you tried Pedigree Puppy tinned? It's not the greatest, but pups do seem to love it... and at this point, you want him to be eating something regularly, even if it's not a premium brand.

I have a foster litter here at the moment, and they are eating mainly Bonnie Puppy kibble... although they love chicken mince and Pedigree tinned mixed in with it more... *grin*

T.

His poo isn't soft. It seems quite hard and black.

I don't think he's grown at all in the week we've had him. He probably looks skinnier if anything.

Thanks, I'll try the pedigree puppy food

Personally I oud be concerned ,Have you kept the breeder up to date itch your issues if not do so in a new puppy owner fashion and see how helpful they will be .

How are the puppies teeth ,where the parents health tested ,what did the breeder say about pup being under weight at collection .

I would be concerned at this stage

The vet didn't ask about his poo but I will let her know. I thought he just might be a bit dehydrated as he doesn't drink much either.

We did let the breeder know but he wasn't much help. He just asked what we were feeding him and if we had given him anything like chocolate or onion - which we hadn't obviously!

The vet had a look at his teeth and they seem fine. I don't know if the parents were health tested but he did show me their papers.

I did ask the breeder about his size and he just said that some puppies are a bit smaller but they will catch up.

I guess we will just have to see what the blood test comes back with and go from there

The vet didn't ask about his poo but I will let her know. I thought he just might be a bit dehydrated as he doesn't drink much either.

We did let the breeder know but he wasn't much help. He just asked what we were feeding him and if we had given him anything like chocolate or onion - which we hadn't obviously!

The vet had a look at his teeth and they seem fine. I don't know if the parents were health tested but he did show me their papers.

I did ask the breeder about his size and he just said that some puppies are a bit smaller but they will catch up.

I guess we will just have to see what the blood test comes back with and go from there

:(

this does not sound good .

pls get a clean poo sample and take to the vet. Pup needs another appointment, as teeny pups dehydrate very quickly , and can go go friom 'looks a bit sad' , to VERY ill , in 24 hrs.

Runty pups can , sadly, have internal organ problems - some things just are 'made' wrongly , and so puppy cannot grow/develop.

A puppy with growth/weight probs should never have been sold:(

If he's dehydrated and given the other things you have described I'd take him straight to hospital, he might need to go on a drip. Fingers and paws crossed for your little pup to get through this. I'd also contact the breeder.

make SURE you get a thorough vet check .. maybe even a second opinion ...keep records ...

If the breeder is registered with their state body , and you receive a pedigree for your pup - depending on how his health goes , you may have some recourse ...

the most important thing now is to get him hydrated and feeling happier - ASAP , get him to a vet again , and if still underweight/dehydrated,the vet may use some fluids injected under the skin to help .

meanwhile let him rest .....

australian consumer law can be used to get a refund on the puppy if you send it back to the breeder...

that's the hard part - sending it back to the breeder.

If you don't want to send the puppy back - then you're probably on your own with costs.

You may need to be very persistent with the vet and getting answers.

PS have you let the breeder know that your puppy is sick and not eating?

PPS - I know someone who got a puppy that had eaten a rock - either in transit from interstate - or just after arrival. Cost $$$$ to get the rock out and the dog isn't really enthusiastic about eating anything now. So it's skinny but reasonably healthy, about 8 months later.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

I really appreciate all the advice!

I had heard about the potential genetic issues with blue staffys but thought we might be safe as his mum was black/brindle.

I will see what the test results come back with tomorrow but it will be so hard on my kids (and me!) if we took him back to the breeder. We just lost our last staffy to cancer about 6 months ago!

We have already let the breeder know what's going on

I did wonder about some type of obstruction. I have caught him chewing on rocks a couple of times.

He is supposed to come with papers. The breeder said dogs nsw will send these to us. Is this the normal procedure?

I know 1.9kg is tiny which is why I'm so worried. Sorry I'm a newby how do you post photos from an iPhone?

He has eaten and drank a little but today but still not nearly enough.

I had heard about the potential genetic issues with blue staffys but thought we might be safe as his mum was black/brindle.

I will see what the test results come back with tomorrow but it will be so hard on my kids (and me!) if we took him back to the breeder. We just lost our last staffy to cancer about 6 months ago!

I did wonder about some type of obstruction. I have caught him chewing on rocks a couple of times.

He is supposed to come with papers. The breeder said dogs nsw will send these to us. Is this the normal procedure?

I know 1.9kg is tiny which is why I'm so worried. Sorry I'm a newby how do you post photos from an iPhone?

If you are so worried then it would be best to take him to hospital, it sounds urgent to me. That's what I would do without thinking twice, just to be on the safe side. He is a tiny infant and every day matters.

If you are so worried then it would be best to take him to hospital, it sounds urgent to me. That's what I would do without thinking twice, just to be on the safe side. He is a tiny infant and every day matters.

I was hoping to read that he sees a vet today ..and gets a diagnosis . Such a worry in a teeny baby :( Thinking of you, and sending healing vibes :)

Edited by persephone