Clicker Training

Hi Please Help!

Clicker Training a year old dog with absolutely zero food drive - he will let treats literally fall out of his mouth such as liver, hot dogs, roast chicken, cheese etc. I have tried not giving him his meal prior to training - same thing. He will often leave his dinner untouched. He is a healthy weight but at the light range and has been fully vet-checked. He has good muscle tone but is basically just disinterested in food.

Prey drive however is high! How can I clicker train using prey drive? I cant throw a toy every time I click because then he chases it and the rhythm of training is broken for maybe 1-2 minutes while he catches the toy. HELP??

Reward with a tug toy? Use a verbal marker instead of a clicker so your hands can be free with the toy?

I'm looking for some cool videos I saw of someone training their GSD who's more prey drive than food drive...

*edit* can't find it. Maybe play some impulse control games?

Edited by Thistle the dog

You can clicker train for toys (I haven't though as mine are more food driven than toy). What about just a very short toss of the toy, so it doesn't go far, or so he catches it?

Or you can use his meals when training. My young dog gets all of his meals through training. He has a naturally high food drive anyway, but this means I can do plenty of training without worrying about him gaining weight, and also means all good things come from me :) This also allows you to utilise contrafreeloading - animals like to work for their food

http://www.progressdog.com/follow-our-blog/will-work-for-food-the-contra-freeloading-phenomenon

A couple of things....

What behaviours do you want to clicker train?

Love that he's got great toy drive.

Regardless it's also handy to build food drive so use Premack....find the best quality treat (try cooked blood sausage!!!), feed one piece and then have a game of tug. To play tug he has to take the treat. But don't worry about training a behaviour with the food yet. No point if he doesn't perceive food as rewarding! I do this with all my dogs and the various things they love or don't love...retrieving, running, food, tug and even leg lifting eh Zig :laugh: