Rottweiler Digging Holes Straight After Eating?

Ben89

Male Rottweiler 7yo

Well fed on premium / raw diet

Exercised regularly and at 42kg

He's not bored and he's not lacking nutrition.

For the last two weeks straight after eating he will walk on the grass and start digging a hole.

'Always in the same spot, right in the middle of the yard'

I've caught him in the act and pulled him up on it.

He has always been so well behaved and obedient I've never had to rouse on him for anything.

Has any one had anything like this happen to them before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:) might be time for a thorough vet check, including a full blood panel - in case there is something happening to make him feel ill/uneasy after eating .

What happens when you change the time/way he eats? if you, for instance .. break his food into 3 tiny meals ? Or hide it in several spots ....?

if you feed him at different times each day ?

Exercised regularly and at 42kg

How much time is there between a meal and exercise?

What kind of food are you feeding him and how fast does he eat it?

Do you know about "bloat"? There is a connection between eating and exercise - especially in bigger dogs. A bit like getting the stitch if you swim too soon after eating. Only different.

He may be getting some discomfort in his gut and digging relieves it or gives him something to do to distract himself. Other signs of pain include ripping up or shaking toys, Sniffing or biting at tummy, zoomies or running around like just been stung by a wasp.

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/8_1/features/Dog-Bloat-Causes-Signs-and-Symptoms_15682-1.html

Likelihood of an incident of bloat seems to increase with age. Purdue reports that there is a 20 percent increase in risk for each year increase in age. This may be related to increased weakness, over time, in the ligaments holding the stomach in place, Dr. Glickman explains.

And I would not trust homeopathy (rescue remedy) to do anything useful.

Thanks for the replies!

I was feeding him once a night until I noticed he was gulping his food.

Now I feed him wellness large breed in the morning

&

Big Dow Raw sensitive skin in the evening.

This is mixed with rose hip vital as he slight hip dysplasia.

'This works great by the way'

Eating takes place 2-3 hours after exercise so it's not a contributing factor.

If and when he has dug holes in the past he had used his nose to do so...

So the advice that it could be stomach related is very helpful.

Thanks!

Have booked in for a checkup at the vet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to hear you're off to the vet.

My boy has separation anxiety and he digs when he's having an "off day" ... basically if he digs I know things arent quite right with him.

Not saying your boy has anxiety, just saying its great you're catching a change that could be easily put down to normal doggy behavior & having it checked it out.

And... hopefully it is just doggy behavior

:)

Mostly I feed my dog home made casserole - a bit like meatloaf.

But when I run out of that, I feed dry - but lately I've had to make a special effort to slow down how fast she eats it.

A couple of times she's eaten it too fast and then given it back (not the carpet - ugh too late)...

Bleah yuck.

Other times she just looks uncomfortable.

So mostly now I stuff the entire lot into a bob alot so she can only eat one bit at a time.

It was raining tonight - so we played find the kibble on the floor inside. Ie I toss one bit of kibble that way and while she's going that way - I toss another bit behind her.

Sometimes I roll up the kibble in towels but she's very fast at unrolling them. It doesn't slow her down enough any more.

I have a bowl to slow down gulping but it hasn't helped much, I read another suggestion of using an old muffin cake tin and put a little bit in each muffin hole, might help to stop the vacuuming of food

I have a bowl to slow down gulping but it hasn't helped much, I read another suggestion of using an old muffin cake tin and put a little bit in each muffin hole, might help to stop the vacuuming of food

What sort? I originally got THIS SORT for my dog and it did absolutely nothing. I had basically ruled them out until someone put me onto THIS ONE which works quite well and comes in other designs too. The Buster Dog Maze is another one.

Edited by Papillon Kisses

We have a gulper, but the best advice we had was to do away with the food bowl if you're feeding kibble.

We either use a Kong wobbler with a tennis ball inside to slow down the rate the food falls out or I throw his food all over the yard and make him work for it!

We have a gulper, but the best advice we had was to do away with the food bowl if you're feeding kibble.

We either use a Kong wobbler with a tennis ball inside to slow down the rate the food falls out or I throw his food all over the yard and make him work for it!

Completely agree!