Apartment Friendly Dog

PuppyLove16

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the responses everyone, lots to think about. The apartment does have a terrace and any dogs definitely allowed by Body Corporate provided they are not a nuisance so all of that is ok.

I LOVE griffon bruxellois'... like half of the population I fell in love with them when I saw As Good As It Gets, but hadn't thought of them, so will look more into them, thanks. I have heard they are very intelligent though so might be a good fit.

I have a little smooth coat griff and she is fairly low shedding except a couple of times a year when dropping coat. They love love their people although I work full time and she is fine with that as she has us from the time we are home and sleeps in our bed.

They seem a very healthy breed but good breeders with test for the big genetic problems. They are very sweet dogs and can vary in the activity level, mine is very active and my parents is a lot more laid back.

LOL - short coats like pugs& Jack Russell tend to shed heaps, from memory !!

Agree. The shorter hairs are spiky. The longer hairs go in drifts.

They all shed but differently.

and it's those short hairs which stick out at odd angles on contrasting colour clothing ;)

A GRIFFON!! I have two (both from puppies) in an apartment, and dog sat once which meant I had three griffons in an apartment! I think they are so under rated and easy to take with you everywhere. I wish I saw more around. Rough if you don't want shedding, smooth if you don't want grooming :)

They are next level clingers but even when I had one and he was left alone for a full day he would just sleep on the couch. They are very affectionate and get along with everybody.

I was worried about having a dog in an apartment, but to be honest in my opinion it's very doable and not much different than having a dog in a house. It just takes a little bit more work and preparation. A balcony, courtyard or dog loo will make your life a thousand times easier for toileting.

rAa4eJ.png

I live in a unit, but my courtyard is approximately 200 sq metres, which is big. I've got a westie and cocker spaniel. When I moved in I had an aged staffy. The yard would not have suited a young staffy, but was great for a less active 10 yo.

Even though we have the lovely courtyard, I still take the dogs out daily to park and for a walk as it is good for their mental health.

The lady next door has a much smaller courtyard and has two greyhounds who are inside all day. They seem to be fine with that. She takes them for a daily walk and they have access outside when she's home.

Honestly we have a lot of dogs in the complex and none are an issue. Down the back there's a number of indiscriminate white fluffies. You never hear any of the dogs being nuisances.

There's also been pugs and pug crosses.

A GRIFFON!! I have two (both from puppies) in an apartment, and dog sat once which meant I had three griffons in an apartment! I think they are so under rated and easy to take with you everywhere. I wish I saw more around. Rough if you don't want shedding, smooth if you don't want grooming :)

They are next level clingers but even when I had one and he was left alone for a full day he would just sleep on the couch. They are very affectionate and get along with everybody.

I was worried about having a dog in an apartment, but to be honest in my opinion it's very doable and not much different than having a dog in a house. It just takes a little bit more work and preparation. A balcony, courtyard or dog loo will make your life a thousand times easier for toileting.

rAa4eJ.png

Awww Bubba and Miro are too cute!

I second a pet loo if you don't have a patch of grass, mine for her first 4yrs of life was pretty much an apartment dog and it was so good having her toilet trained to one. We have now moved to a townhouse with a small grassed yard for her benefit but to be honest she only uses it to toilet and sunbake.

Awww Bubba and Miro are too cute!

I second a pet loo if you don't have a patch of grass, mine for her first 4yrs of life was pretty much an apartment dog and it was so good having her toilet trained to one. We have now moved to a townhouse with a small grassed yard for her benefit but to be honest she only uses it to toilet and sunbake.

The pet loo was especially helpful when he was a puppy, he chooses not to use it anymore. He will hold on for 8 hours little champ.

Whenever I chuck my two outside in the courtyard they press their faces up against the glass like 'what the hell?' :laugh:

rAa4eJ.png

Absolutely gorgeous!!! Thank you, I really appreciate hearing your experience with them. They're not very popular in Australia, or at least I haven't seen many, but they are so cute!

Maybe an older re-home / rescue would be better than a pup?

To be fair - you an never be 100% sure what you're going to get but some older dogs who've been in foster care or a home and need a new one could be a good fit. My last girl was always happy so long as she had her bed - but she was 15ish when she died and had been thought her naughty years too.

Another one agreeing with this! You really don't have much leeway in an apartment with a body corp/strata, so if your puppy grows up to be a yapper, or you've got a very intolerant body corp during the time where he/she is learning to be alone, you're going to get in strife. All dogs are individuals, and there's huge variation in behaviour within breeds (not really that much less than between breeds), so getting a dog of a specific breed isn't going to guarantee that it will be quiet/low energy etc etc

If it were me I'd be getting an older dog with a known temperament that will be happy to sleep all day and have a couple of walks morning and night.

The right Greyhound could be a good match, or a smaller dog that fits the bill.

Edited by melzawelza

Have you googled apartment friendly dogs? I did that the other night and there's lots of pages with suggestions. Some I thought wouldn't work, but some breeds were consistently mentioned, the griffon being one. They would be the ones I'd check out further.

But if your heart is set on a griffon, it might be better to spend time checking out breeders :D

I read through the breeder profiles and one had all the health things they check for thumbsup1.gif Didn't realise there are so many things so now I know. Thank you griffon peoples! They look absolutely adorable and with so many apartments now it's really good hear about how they go.

While it's nice for old dogs to get a home, I've had many who will, yes sleep all day but are not happy enough to amuse themselves, chew chewies, potter in and out or find the best sunny spots. Some need so much more than waiting all day and I don't like seeing them curl up in a ball and not move for hours. (benefits of a spy camera LOL)