Tips Or Articles On Training A Dog For The Trial Ring

Hello,

I am looking for suggestions or article recommendations for training a dog to be happy and focused in the trial ring.

This is something I have taken for granted with several dogs and just plunged them all straight from training into a trial ring and expected nice work - but am having trouble with one of our girls being "ring savy" and really switching off in the ring. I am sure it is a nervous issue and confidence thing when she is out there. She will sometimes do a bit of work, but more and more is starting to sniff and wander and ignore commands when in the ring. She is of course great at training! And in watching her switch off, I am thinking more and more that this is something I should be doing specific training toward - I think it would help my other dogs fire up for competition work too!

I recall reading an article about training the specific behaviours involved in competing at one point... but now cannot remember where I found it!

Any advice or links would be much appreciated!

Bridget

Denise Fenzi's blogs has many good articles addressing exactly what you have described.

https://denisefenzi.com/

I do a lot of acclimation, engagement and ring confidence work to help my dog who stresses in the ring. It's a key component to our training and we are much happier and work much better because of it.

Edited by silentchild

Where are you based Bridget? There are some awesome competition trainers I can recommend in Vic and WA.

One of the things I focus on with my Dally is duration heeling. You want them to be able to focus for MUCH longer in training (with JOY) than they'll ever need to in competition. I do big and small circles, inside and outside, vary when I reward - 3 steps, 10 steps, 7 steps, 15 steps, then it's out to seconds and minutes - and how I reward - treat from the hand, throw forward/sideways/backwards or run to a jackpot hidden behind a tree. Mix it up, build their confidence. Once they really understand this and have been heavily reinforced if they get distracted in training then I just stop and break off. But this should be part of the game and you can see them saying "oh no, I'm not going to fall for it this time!"

And VIDEO your training - what does that look like for your dog? I love my dogs being ring wise whatever the sport - because they know this is where it's at. Where the best fun is to be had.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Really endorse the Fenzi blog articles, and also the Denise Fenzi/Deb Jones books, which cover aspects like Conditioned Emotional Responsem and play. From courses I've done with the Fenzi Academy, I've learnt the importance of building value for the secondary reinforcers like physical play, that you can bring into the ring with you. Just as a for instance, the taking off the lead and handing it to the steward, can be made a secondary reinforcer, helping the emotional state of both dog and handler.

I am in Geelong TSD.

Thanks for the recommendation of the Fenzi blog! Good reading.

I think we need to train focus in the face of the judge + ring distractions. If she were focusing at all then duration would be fine - but at the moment it is like she is getting more and more sensitive to going inside the ring :( so going to stop going in and go back to training with joy and working on these specific challenges!

I am in Geelong TSD.

Thanks for the recommendation of the Fenzi blog! Good reading.

I think we need to train focus in the face of the judge + ring distractions. If she were focusing at all then duration would be fine - but at the moment it is like she is getting more and more sensitive to going inside the ring :( so going to stop going in and go back to training with joy and working on these specific challenges!

Do consider the Fenzi courses too - Ptolemy and Tassie know these better.

Typing with one hand after 10 stitches so sorry for brevity. Set up some distractions in training...food on ground, toy, you limping, working near sports ground or kids playing or down the street....? Helps generalise.

Yes, that's the one. It used to be taught by Denise Fenzi and had two parts, but it has now since been taken over by Laura Waudby. The syllabus looks to be the same however. Not sure if the second part is still on offer but there is a lot to gain even just from the first one.

I did it at gold with Denise a long time ago and it still remains a class that I will revisit time and time again with all my future dogs. Just so excellent.

Edited by silentchild