Rspca Calling For Bans On Calf Roping

Steve

hundreds of replies but these three are so on the mark. It really is about time to query what our govt is handing OUR MONEY too, with total control without accountability or avenue of appeal, is the money for animal welfare anymore? looks more like animal rights?

To ban mulesing without a viable alternative, results in exactly what Leticia below describes. Yet this is what animal rights has forced on the millions of sheep in australia.

Hayley Because theirs not animals that actually need to be rescued by the Rspca instead they go round and pick on the people who making a living off the industry who's animals are extremely well looked after

What a joke. Rodeo is not just a sport it's a way of life. Stock are well looked after. Contractors won't make money damaging animals after every event. It's common sense. What about ladies breakaway roping? Is that cruel as well? What about barrel racing? Do you even know what events take place in a rodeo. How stock get there. The training involved. Anything about Country NSW?

Leticia Oh for goodness sake. The rodeo is a world wide sport that showcases what happens in everyday life (apart from bull riding) on farms! Sometimes you need to rope a calf. We even pull them with rope......out off bog holes. Next we won't be allowed to ride horses in pony club because the city people said. Ffs.....you dont want us mulesing sheep but have you seen the direct repercussions if you dont, have you ever tried to save a sheep and your hand goes right through them caused by maggots. Oh i also seen now we are supposed to be saving and rehoming wild foxes! Get a grip people!!!

Edited by asal

FYI mulesing is not banned in Australia. Industry backed alternatives or alternative methods are being developed that take into account pain management. But hey, nothing like a bit of hysteria.

so you are unaware that wool buyers were told to refuse to buy wool from mulesed sheep? they even got the industry to promise to phase it out, trouble is flies have no mercy.

http://www.animalsaustralia.org/issues/mulesing.php

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/health-science/sheep-farmers-flocking-back-to-mulesing/story-e6frg8y6-1226557807686

the pressure did bring one interesting thing to light, there are some sheep with a naturally mulesed gene. selecting for that seems to be a good idea http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2005/03/16/1324361.htm

Edited by asal

FYI mulesing is not banned in Australia. Industry backed alternatives or alternative methods are being developed that take into account pain management. But hey, nothing like a bit of hysteria.

so you are unaware that wool buyers were told to refuse to buy wool from mulesed sheep? they even got the industry to promise to phase it out, trouble is flies have no mercy.

http://www.animalsaustralia.org/issues/mulesing.php

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/health-science/sheep-farmers-flocking-back-to-mulesing/story-e6frg8y6-1226557807686

the pressure did bring one interesting thing to light, there are some sheep with a naturally mulesed gene. selecting for that seems to be a good idea

Still doesn't make it "banned". Public pressure is exactly that. And without that pressure there would have been zero motivation for industry to support research that FOUND that gene or identified methods of pain relief.

And yeah, I grew up on sheep farms so do get the blowfly problem. We never mulesed but it did require additional management.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

http://www.animalsau...es/mulesing.php

http://www.theaustra...6-1226557807686

the pressure did bring one interesting thing to light, there are some sheep with a naturally mulesed gene. selecting for that seems to be a good idea

Still doesn't make it "banned". Public pressure is exactly that. And without that pressure their would have been zero motivation for industry to support research that FOUND that gene or identified methods of pain relief.

And yeah, I grew up on sheep farms so do get the blowfly problem. We never mulesed but it did require additional management.

Well to be fair I didn't read where any one said it was banned in Australia just that sheep were suffering due to the push to have it seen as cruel and the fact is due to the pressure many are experimenting with alternatives many of which dont work very well or wont make much difference to the risk of being fly struck. Not all sheep and sheep farms are equal much depends on the breed type and location and the weather . Finding pain relief sounds good except mulesing with pain relief is still mulesing and I doubt thats going to keep em happy.

hundreds of replies but these three are so on the mark. It really is about time to query what our govt is handing OUR MONEY too, with total control without accountability or avenue of appeal, is the money for animal welfare anymore? looks more like animal rights?

To ban mulesing without a viable alternative, results in exactly what Leticia below describes. Yet this is what animal rights has forced on the millions of sheep in australia.

Hayley Because theirs not animals that actually need to be rescued by the Rspca instead they go round and pick on the people who making a living off the industry who's animals are extremely well looked after

What a joke. Rodeo is not just a sport it's a way of life. Stock are well looked after. Contractors won't make money damaging animals after every event. It's common sense. What about ladies breakaway roping? Is that cruel as well? What about barrel racing? Do you even know what events take place in a rodeo. How stock get there. The training involved. Anything about Country NSW?

Leticia Oh for goodness sake. The rodeo is a world wide sport that showcases what happens in everyday life (apart from bull riding) on farms! Sometimes you need to rope a calf. We even pull them with rope......out off bog holes. Next we won't be allowed to ride horses in pony club because the city people said. Ffs.....you dont want us mulesing sheep but have you seen the direct repercussions if you dont, have you ever tried to save a sheep and your hand goes right through them caused by maggots. Oh i also seen now we are supposed to be saving and rehoming wild foxes! Get a grip people!!!

Still doesn't make it "banned". Public pressure is exactly that. And without that pressure their would have been zero motivation for industry to support research that FOUND that gene or identified methods of pain relief.

Well to be fair I didn't read where any one said it was banned in Australia just that sheep were suffering due to the push to have it seen as cruel and the fact is due to the pressure many are experimenting with alternatives many of which dont work very well or wont make much difference to the risk of being fly struck. Not all sheep and sheep farms are equal much depends on the breed type and location and the weather . Finding pain relief sounds good except mulesing with pain relief is still mulesing and I doubt thats going to keep em happy.

See above. Responding to asal. 1/3 of the wool clip bought last season was from sheep mulesed with pain relief.

have to admit I thought it had been, all the press said it was to be implemented in 2013

cant find a date on this one

http://www.peta.org.au/issues/clothing/cruelty-wool/mulesing-barbaric-unnecessary-cruelty/

found a few others and the date it was supposed to be phased out was 2010

http://theconversation.com/how-the-wool-industry-has-undercut-itself-on-mulesing-956

I dont come from a sheep farming background and never had sheep until we rescued some from a pack of dogs and the owners never came to claim them so ended up with 3 , all three were merinos and constantly checking them for flystrike was no fun. hubby was once a jackaroo and could spot a flystruck sheep from a k away. the first time one of them was struck left me appalled at the suffering they must feel, its awful to see and treat. yet it was just a little strike, we gave them away to a friend who used their wool for spinning although as she said she preferred crossbred wool to the purebreds

Edited by asal

See above. Responding to asal. 1/3 of the wool clip bought last season was from sheep mulesed with pain relief.

Yep you're right - sorry didnt see it that way.

And as for calf roping - do you not think doing it as a SPORT is quite different morally from doing it as a necessary part of animal management? The science is crystal clear that calm and quiet handling results in improved productivity, morbidity and mortality rates. Not to mention improved welfare.

And as for calf roping - do you not think doing it as a SPORT is quite different morally from doing it as a necessary part of animal management? The science is crystal clear that calm and quiet handling results in improved productivity, morbidity and mortality rates. Not to mention improved welfare.

But people are trying to tell us what we can do with animals so we have to rail against any animal welfare push no matter what!! As long as you aren't literally striking them in the head with a blunt instrument then anything else is fair game and the AR nutters need to butt out /sarcasm

after what has happened re purebred dogs, now the row over the greyhounds suspended over a report that is being said is flawed yet acted on,despite a pending court judgement, suspect a proportion of the population are more than a little suspicious

it is taxpayers money paying for adds not only on radio but tv as well, that's hundreds of thousands in taxpayers money, asking people to rubber stanp the premiers decision after the event. pollies penalised for not toeing the party line etc

apologies for repeating whats already on another . but this pollie is paying the price for thinking she had the right to stand up for her voters. She had now learned a lesson. promise to represent the voters all you want but once elected do as you are told

http://www.dailyadvertiser.com.au/story/4124370/agriculture-could-go-to-the-dogs-after-greyhound-ban/

Edited by asal

I will fight pretty much anything animal libers - yes I include the RSPCA - try to do as they are slowly but surely chipping away at their ultimate end result.

I do not do calf roping,I have seen it but not for some time now.

They tey to ban bull riding as well,that is ridiculous.

I found this comment too which might clarify things for Asal - "In July 2009, representatives of the Australian wool industry scrapped an earlier promise, made in November 2004, to phase out the practice of mulesing in Australia by 31 December 2010."

thanks

Calf roping is required sometimes in the real world and the better the operator the less stress that animal goes through. Any calf being moved or herded ,restrained etc will be under stress when its happening.

The people that compete in this are showing skills that help them to more humanely deal with their stock when they have to complete husbandry essentials. Calves dont just come when they are called. If having demos of it and encouraging those doing it to get quicker and better and being rewarded for doing it means more get better at it and less calves get any more stressed etc when they need to seems to me the fact that calves stress levels raise when it happens for a few seconds its not all bad.

These days the MDBA has breeders and owners of some breeds doing fitness tests on their pets. This entails testing their vitals - stress levels etc then walking them for a period , then testing their vitals when its done and again 20 mins later .Clearly animals that are walked on a leash also have their stress levels elevated as well.

If we are going to stop activities with animals based on stress tests the world is their oyster and there are a hell of a lot of activities we do for sport and every day management with animals that raise stress levels including putting them in pounds and flying them all over the country dropping them in new homes without knowing jack shit about them possibly incubating disease and how that stress level will play out.

As far as quote" But people are trying to tell us what to do with animals so we have to rail against any animal welfare push no matter what. "

For me its about being careful that we don't take everything they say at face value and I don't believe that people who work with animals know less than those who don't have a clue and don't live it.

Im not backing anything they push by biased information and bullying calling for bans with at least a forum for a bloody fair hearing.

I believe they were going to implement a ban however it was not feasible due to no other means of replacing the procedure.

Pain relief etc was then brought in as a viable alternative until another method could be used that was a practical alternative.

I believe they were going to implement a ban however it was not feasible due to no other means of replacing the procedure.

Pain relief etc was then brought in as a viable alternative until another method could be used that was a practical alternative.

Yes, because animal welfare scientists work closely with industry, government AND groups such as RSPCA and AA. None of these groups work in isolation. Not having a go at you Oso - really respect your input. Just want to illustrate how the process works. Plus, typing one handed after 10 stitches is problematic.