Tell Me What Your Raw Diet Is!

Ben89

Looking for practical & inexpensive raw diet examples.

$100-$150 a month

I work 50hours+ a week and do not have the time to source exotic products and make super elaborate meals.

But I do want to ensure my best pal has the best possible diet.

I am aware a raw diet is tailored to each individual dogs requirements!

Just looking for a place to start.....

Tell me what your feeding your dog!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roo or chicken mince ( bought in 1kg bags, in freezer ,so easy to defost overnight as needed).

Mixed with Vets All Natural ( i cup soaked in water for 8 hours in a sandwich container does one night , then refill use again next night).

I also add half cup of cooked rice to one of my dogs food to fill her up.( just cook a few days worth up and put in container in the fridge).

i add random eggs and sardines here and there.

i cant be bothered with time consuming stuff either, this means they get everything they need easily.

I just buy various meats at discount from the butchers while getting my own groceries. I'm not wholly raw and supplement with black hawk and stay loyal.

I have noticed raw dog food delivery services popping up.

https://www.pawleo.com.au/

Is one I'm thinking about. Sorry I can't see your location. This one is Melbourne specific and has a pick up store option too.

I use Big Dog pre-made raw and add a chopped up chicken neck. I have used Vets All Natural for years in the past but have been really (selfishly) happy how much easier premade raw has made my life. I've tried most of the different brands but this is the one the dogs love the most own the most. A box of 12 packs is about $22 so super cheap. I have seen it more expensive in different stores though.

I split one between both (small) dogs so one box does 24 days. I should add they do get some extra food via training or I would consider upping how much they get.

I pull one or two out of the freezer at night and they're defrosted by the next night. I do heat their meal up slightly so its not too cold straight from the fridge :)

We're lucky enough to live on a farm & can kill our own sheep for the dogs.

I also 'supplement' (as in, when life gets in the way and I haven't got around to filling the freezer) with Blackhawk dry food.

To aim for the 80/10/10 rule (80% Meat, 10% Bone, 5% Offal/5% Liver) I nick liver/lungs/kidneys/tripe from them & chuck the spine/ribs to the dogs :)

I also buy a suspicious amount of sardines from the shops for the dogs & feed them surplus eggs :)

Also feed 80/10/5/5

I feed chicken carcasses, turkey and lamb necks for bones, chicken carcasses are cheapest, I get 3 or 4 for $1.50.

Roo mince, chicken and cheap cuts of lamb are her main muscle meat as well as lamb hearts, lamb lungs, chicken hearts, might try tongue soon if I can get over the creepy factor. Lamb and chicken livers and kidneys sometimes beef if I can't find those. She gets eggs a few times a week. Its not necessary but I also feed a blended vege mix to help fill her up a bit as she runs on the sniff of an oily rag and gets very hungry if just fed the necessary amount of meat she needs to stay trim.

I go to a Tasman meat warehouse to get most of my stuff, a bit hit and miss on what you'll get depending on when you go but prices are good and lots of variety/interesting bits. Also get offal and turkey necks fairly cheap at woolies.

Does take me about 2hrs every week or fortnight to prep all her food, I've nearly severed a few digits but its not too hard once you get into the swing of things. I try to buy bulk and in advance as I tend to spend a lot more if I'm constantly going out to go get different bits but I manage to feed my 45kg active dog for $50 or so in a good month.

Raw feeders in Adelaide are very spoilt - I buy raw 'formula' from Adelaide Dog and that's dinner supplemented with veg ( eg zucchini and carrots in summer and pumpkin and sweet potato in winter - ie whatever is cheap, seasonal and on special in the supermarket). If I dont have Adelaide Dog I buy turkey mince from the supermarket often on special - about $20 a week for two westies. I also keep cans of Home Brand sardines and mackerel in oil on hand for back - up - one can is about $1.80 and feeds two westies. I give them the can juice as well. I always give them plenty of water in their dinner bowls each night as well.

In the mornings they get a chicken or half a turkey neck, some days a chicken wing (but too fatty for Sarah who's cholesterol is a bit high so I've stopped them), chicken frames and beef soup bones on Sunday mornings. All bought at the supermarket or delivered from Adelaide Dog as I work long hours too and don't have time to fuss around. I don't mix dry and raw as I prefer an all raw diet. My guys perform like pork chops and give me 'what the hell is this?' look if I give them dry. laugh.gif

Edited by westiemum

Oh and I forgot - they get leftover egg white omelettes or scrambled eggs ( Mac adored his scrambled egg!) on the weekends, occasionally other meats on special, and offal.

I also buy chicken feet and wing tips (no marrow bones - too fatty) and throw it in the slow cooker to make bone broth which I freeze. ( I add turmeric at the end) Dirt cheap and easy to make and very nutritious. I give it to them with their dinner. ( yes I'm a hydration obsessive!!! laugh.gif).

Edited by westiemum

At the supermarket, I find I've just got in the habit of looking what's on special in meat and veg, checking the chicken and turkey necks and frames, feet, wing tips and canned fish. If I need bone broth I buy wing tips and feet and put the slow cooker on at bedtime and turn it off wen I leave for work in the morning. When I get home I strain it, throw in the turmeric and and put it in containers in the freezer, Easy. thumbsup1.gif

Looking for practical & inexpensive raw diet examples.

$100-$150 a month

I work 50hours+ a week and do not have the time to source exotic products and make super elaborate meals.

But I do want to ensure my best pal has the best possible diet.

I am aware a raw diet is tailored to each individual dogs requirements!

Just looking for a place to start.....

Tell me what your feeding your dog!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Balanced Canine's Raw feeding calculator

Ah - well I have a foxie - so when I was raw feeding I just hit up the clearance section / meat fridge at woolies during my weekly shop and that worked for me.

*Entirely personal opinion here* I think if you're going to feed raw you need to be prepared for some prep time and expensive while you settle into the routine. It's the same as cooking for yourself - you can open a packet and nuke a meal or you can cook - and while you're learning to cook it is a bit harder than when you're all skilled up, tooled up and know the best places to go.

Otherwise - look for a well balanced commercial option.

To answer your actual question: For us, with an old 10-11 kilo dog with some medical conditions- we were feeding chicken, turkey or pork mince. + meat + very occasional red meat as a treat (I don't feed him red meats it upsets his tummy too much), chicken wings and necks + what ever veg was going that week (sweet potato, carrot, frozen veg mix) + what ever basic organ was available. He hated the organ and I was always trying to hide it in elaborate ways.

I also follow this girl on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/rawfedriley

Her page is basically a love story to her dog + products she makes and sells but she often posts photos of her really elaborate raw meals and it's great to follow along. Well, I think. Good inspiration for best practice :D

Good luck!

Edited by Scottsmum