Something New Learned Today . :(

persephone

Ok - if you know about BROMETHALIN - stop reading .

I had not heard of it until today when someone lost both their dogs overnight as a result of said dogs eating rat baits in the laundry of their house .

BROMETHALIN can cause brain swelling . Ataxia, tremors and seizures are apparently present .

In high doses it is fast acting . :(

One of the dogs was Don's father

- RIP "Dog" . The lab part of him seems to have been his downfall ...gutsing mouse baits :(

We use the BIG CHEESE baits ..they contain DIFENACOUM , which has a high safety margin . from the B C page : For example, a Rat would need to eat only a small amount of The Big Cheese Difenacoum bait to be fatal, however a dog would need to eat well over 1 kilogram of The Big Cheese Bait.

Edited by persephone

I'm so sorry to hear that Persephone :(

I never wanted to use baits because they're just generally awful and I was concerned about relay poisoning of my dogs and also of native wildlife. Unfortunately, living in a most decidedly not rodent-proof house in the middle of cow country, we have more than a few, so I use racumin and traps. I only use snap traps or live catch traps (then humanely euthanase them)

What brands is it sold as? I know Talon (or the active ingredient in it) is really bad.

No rat bait would be good for a dog. Except the ordinary food you might bait a trap with ie non poisonous bait.

we only use BIG CHEESE ..it has a very high safety margin - according to their statistics , a dog needs to eat around one kilo of it for a fatal dose , unlike some others, where 5 grams will be fatal .

Anyhow, we've been using it for 3 years ..in every room , shed, outbuilding .The aviary /chookpen ...everywhere . No problems noted , and mice numbers reduced from a small town population , to the odd migrant .

I was not using any baits for fear of losing animals ...but am very happy with this one :) Of course , baits need to be placed in secure containers, or under floors/in ceilings, in cages hung on trees/walls .. but I use this brand with complete confidence .

the problem with BROMETHALIN is that is causes brain swelling - it acts in a different way to 'normal' poisons.

Eaten in quantity ..it becomes fatal in just a few hours !!!

TOMCAT is the only one I know of with this ingredient .