Allergic To Grass?

Nic12

My staffy x is allergic to Kikuyu. After trying lots of things I now give her one Claratyne per day and she is a different dog. I stop once Autumn comes on so it's only a summer thing. I just buy them from the local chemist in a bulk pack so it's cheaper. I also found she does much better on some foods than others. For her, Royal Canin has been good. Nutro worked for a long time but she started to get itchy again. Thankfully she has no major food allergies.

Also have a look at the Health forum, some good advice on there for dogs and allergies.

I see you mention Aloveen, this actually made my dog worse. This is just MY dog though, they are all different.

Edited by SarasMum

Have you had a chat with the breeder ,are you fe ding what they suggested ,

It has been said a dog has grass allergies is best to be feed food from a a non grass eating animal ,not sure how factual this is but some dogs we now with issues have swapped there diet to crocodile or the likes

Definitely contact the breeder. If it is actually grass allergy, and grass allergy runs in their lines, I would give her an earful (or take her to small claims court). Allergies are a PITA, and can get very expensive. IMO an allergic dog is basically, defective. I have never understood why breeders make a big deal of doing hip/elbow testing, eye exams, etc., and don't bother to mention when their lines are allergy prone.

YES!!! This!!! Allergies are genetic and hereditable. They are immunology based which is the core of a lot of disease. I would never ever breed with a dog with allergies. And if I bought one, I would be returning it.

Not saying this is the case here, but just agreeing with Sandgrubber cause this is a very important issue to me.

And so it should be Starkehre. It is miserable for a dog to itch all the time. I remember the corgi we got from a breeder. She ended up having mange mite, which I believe is something that is inherited. She was on injections for life. Someone we knew had bought a corgi from the same breeder. Had itch issues for ages, mum mentioned the problem ours had, and sure enough it had it as well.

Nic, on top of grass there can just be plants in the garden that cause reactions eg wandering dew. My staffy used to react to that, as do I. Personally I'm allergic to hibiscus plants. Come up in a god awful rash even where it hasn't been in contact. Never occurred to me until I moved out of the place with a hibiscus plant at the front gate. As soon as I no longer touched it daily, I stopped getting a rash.

Edited by karen15

Dosages for antihistamines;

http://communityvet.net/2009/07/diy-antihistamines/

They are all very different, plus you have first generation eg phenergan and second generation like claratyne. Lots of trial and error. Some more drowsy/sedating than others.

Apoquel is probably the $4 tablet you mean and you can't use it on such a young dog so getting started with other alternatives and working your way through them can start now, you may never need to use it.

p.s. Always have some phenergan in the cupboard if you have a bee chaser. laugh.gif Works brilliantly!

I tried a few anti histamines and found that one 180mg Telfast a day helped with Jonah's red itchy feet. He weighs 24kg.

2 Phenergen a day works for his feet and his eyes but he is on 2 Zyrtec generics called C-Zine a day which I buy online for about $10 for 50 tablets. The dosage will vary by weight

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

One other thing is using a super gentle shampoo to wash off any allergens on the skin, I bathe my dog once a week especially in summer for this reason otherwise I notice she starts to get itchy (winter I can stretch it out a little longer).

Before winter he was being washed more often with malasleb though I was concerned about how harsh it was. Though it was giving him some relief.

He is due for a bath soon so im also trying to decide between a few different shampoos. I was looking at demacare, ivory coat sensitive or Aloveen.

Paws nutriderm is what the clinic i used to work in had the best results with. So also one to look into.

Also, look into calendula tea. There is a thread on it here and it helps my dogs through allergy season :)

We have a tibbie who has allergies to a number of things including grass, some plants, oatmeal and flaxseed. I have found QV Wash as a shampoo very good. It was recommended by our vet who had consulted a dermatologist. We did use Aloveen but it made him worse as it contains oatmeal. Curash powder helps as well and provides some relief. Skin allergies is tough to fix. It's been mostly trial and error and managing the problem. However, with a diet that suits him and building up his immune system, he has been much better.

I sent the QLD breeder an email in May and Im still waiting for a response.
<br style="color: rgb(34, 34, 34); font-family: verdana, tahoma, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; background-color: rgb(238, 242, 247);">

One email?

time to try again , tho it may be too long a time frame now :(

letter by post

email

text

phone call

emails can and do get lost...

Sorry it took so long to reply Ive had issues with my password.

I have sent another email to the breeder who owns my dogs mum. My next step will be to email the fathers owner who is a seperate breeder. Hopefully I at least get a reply.

I'm certainly not looking to send him back or anything like that. But I do hope if its something that could be prevented for other dogs and families than that is my main goal.

Thank you for all of the information. I will look into the antihistamines and hope for at least a little bit of relief for him.