Mistaken Dog Identity

swazzie

Is it a dalmatian? Strangely, I am always asked that.

I'm not aware of many other black and white spotted dogs who look EXACTLY like the dogs in 101 dalmatians. Guess people just want to be sure!

My grandma insisted that the dallies would be HUGE. Nope, 20kgs and 55cm high.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not aware of many other black and white spotted dogs who look EXACTLY like the dogs in 101 dalmatians. Guess people just want to be sure!

Kaos is taller than that at 57cm! Hmmm, OK, I guess he is a BIG Kelpie :laugh:

Kaos is taller than that at 57cm! Hmmm, OK, I guess he is a BIG Kelpie :laugh:

Cleo's a little girl :) very dainty and cat like! That's withers too, not head height

My Aussie is ALWAYS labelled a Silky or Yorkie :mad but I'm mostly asked if Zeus is a pointer, harrier or foxhound. When I reply no, he's my Heinz dog I get a confused look so I'll usually elaborate and say he was sold as a beagle x JRT. That's when the questions of 'why don't you get him dna tested?' start.

I don't want to have him dna tested because a) I like guessing and b) knowing his composition won't make any difference to my training or anything else.

In the end, he's just my Zeusling :D

Our Tibbies get interesting ones! 'Look, Pekingese!' Nina Zena, who's gold... 'Did someone shrink a Golden Retriever'. Black/white Tibbie boy next door...'Is that a Miniature Border Collie?' Funniest one, 'Looks like Gizmo out of the movie 'Gremlins!'

Weirdest...'Looks a bit like a Koala.'

Edited by mita

Seeing as Nova was mistaken as a 'long haired Dalmatian' I'm pretty sure some people just don't even know what Dalmatians are!

Try having a black German Shepherd - yes they come in black - no he is not a Belgium Shepherd. I even had a person whisper dickhead under his breath at me one day. Whatever - I like Belgiums as well. But seriously, some male labs are getting more jowly but if Chloe is the one in your photo - wow. Not one of those at all.

I always get asked what Mica is! Then have to explain that yes they do come in black.

When she was in puppy school, the trainer would call her a kelpie. I had to correct her every session for 3 weeks, sometimes more than once. Wanted to get a sign made up for her saying - I am a GSD, yes a black one!

White boxer = American bulldog to most people.

I was also confidently told that he couldn't have come from a registered breeder because they have to euthanise all white puppies. I know the rules on registering whites have only recently changed but even before that, they weren't ALL euthanised.

Oh and people ask me if he can hear and/or see a lot

A friend had a lovely dog once .. the happy product of a meeting between purebred English pointer and Greyhound . he was large, yellow & white, long ears ..and just gorgeous .

Everyone would ask ..and it got tiring , so the answer became : ":he's a Sherak Hound" . (sherak was this dog's name ) Funnily enough it shut people up - they just thought it was a breed they 'should' know of ;)

My Shibas get fox, husky, basenji, Dingo ect all the time. I had a guy argue with me at the vet because he "knew they had Dingo in them," he could tell. Once when I was asked what breed they were and I replied "Shiba Inu" I kept getting, "no, but what are they a cross off? I kept telling the lady they were a real breed but she kept says, "yes, but what breeds are they mixed with?" I guess she was used to so many designer "breeds" with owners insisting their cross was a "breed" ?

Every one used to think Loki was a girl. ( He is pretty slight for a Shiba :o ) I'd constantly get "are they brother and sister?" or "Isn't she pretty" Now that he is a million years old I just get "Oh isn't he old!" :o

Isn't it funny how people will argue when you say a dog is a pure breed they haven't heard of, saying you've been tricked, yet when you try to say a dog is a mix/mutt/big black dog they insist on assigning a breed of some sort to it.

Me: yes I'm sure Australian Shepherd is a real breed, no, I have no idea what the foster dog is, she's a big black dog.

Edited by Simply Grand

Oh and with breeds that look similar to other breeds - what's the difference?

Another Aussie owner and I had a frustrating conversation the other day with a lady who knew that Aussie Shepherd, Border Collie and Coolie are all different breeds and could recognise which was which, but kept asking us what the difference is. The difference is they are different breeds, that's the difference!!

Having Aussies has almost made me miss having a Border Collie laugh.gif at least everyone knew what a chocolate BC was because of "Toby the Wonder Dog" off Harry's Practice.

I got asked if my Blue Merle Aussie was a tri colour Border Collie rofl1.gif wrong on all points rofl1.gif and then I was asked if he was a rescue because of his docked tail ... no he's a NBT.