Mistaken Dog Identity

swazzie

I have had the Mals called Greyhounds on a number of occasions

!!!!!

Oh Dear ;)

Yep, doberman cops the same as well. But funny enough, it was also while we had a greyhound, and they would be standing side by side. ????

Yeah LOL! "What's that crossed with" or "What kind of GSD or GSD x is that" is pretty common and I can't blame people for not recognizing what is a pretty uncommon breed but Greyhound does make me giggle.

I remember years ago, I had Jeddah training with Sue Harper. A group of older teenage boys were watching, when finally one got up the courage to approach. Apparently he and his mates were convinced Jeddah was a Rottweiler. I think the black and tan colouring was way more convincing than body shape!! LOL Pointiest Rotti ever! I suppose the general public just can't wrap their head around Mals, they've got to be some sort of skinny, smooth GSD! ????

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We were at a Father's Day outdoor event today. Dogs were welcome so we brought Chloe.

As we were leaving, this man approached me and said "I've never seen a brown one before"

I was think huh Brown labs not exactly rare!

Then he goes is it a Brown Rothweiler?

Me no she's a lab

Him oh really ,she's big

Me to myself- best put Chloe on a diet but am positive she'll still look like a lab not a Rothweiler.

????????????

I have two labs and one of them is chocolate. I had a man approach me once and ask if my bitch was a kelpie. I said, "No, she is a Labrador. Kelpies are much less stocky and they haven't got the thick tail". He also asked if she's crossed with something.

I also get comments like "I thought Labradors are tall and big" why is yours small? (i.e. about 22 inches at the withers). And yes, I got asked if she was a rottweiler too. LOL

My sister has been asked by a small boy(7ish) if her black GSD is a Dire Wolf. My first thought was how does a kid that little know what a Dire Wolf is. He must have been watching GOT.eek1.gif My two are Shar Pei but are variously called Pug, Frenchie, Bulldog and once the Lilac girl was a Pitbull, I assume because her nose leather is lilac too and they though she was a "rednose." If I say they are Shar Pei the most common response is "oh one of them fighting dogs," said as they take two or three steps back.

I don't try to correct them because they never believe they are a guardian not a fighting breed and they have seen them on Cesar you know.

Not a dog story, but...

A visitor looked at my parents' Jersey house cow and a group of Fresian calves, and asked, "Is she their mother?"

Umm... They're different breeds, and cows don't have litters.

wish I had a dollar for every time I was asked "when is the foal due" they were looking at my slightly obese gelding?

although I think the winner was the neighbor who asked me why is my donkey mare beating up my stallion? went to have a look and standing there looking at me, were one donkey stallion and one donkey gelding??

how do you explain that to their owner ? He bought them as a "breeding pair"

How did he not see the very large donkey bits???

Dozer (amstaff) regularly gets mistaken for a Mastiff..

He's got a dark mask so I can understand that part, but he's less than half the size of a Mastiff...

Seems in rescue and rehoming dogs anything of bullbreed is labelled a mastiff or mastiff cross. Especially tan with dark masks. Just look at any rescue pages on the www.

Edited by pepe001

Not a dog story, but...

A visitor looked at my parents' Jersey house cow and a group of Fresian calves, and asked, "Is she their mother?"

Umm... They're different breeds, and cows don't have litters.

wish I had a dollar for every time I was asked "when is the foal due" they were looking at my slightly obese gelding?

although I think the winner was the neighbor who asked me why is my donkey mare beating up my stallion? went to have a look and standing there looking at me, were one donkey stallion and one donkey gelding??

how do you explain that to their owner ? He bought them as a "breeding pair"

How did he not see the very large donkey bits???

Male dog at the day care I was working at was given a female name - owners thought he was a she for 2 weeks when they first got "her" and then, when they realised, decided they liked the name.

Clearly they don't know what penis looks like - on any species...