Mistaken Dog Identity

swazzie

My Aussie is ALWAYS labelled a Silky or Yorkie :mad but I'm mostly asked if Zeus is a pointer, harrier or foxhound. When I reply no, he's my Heinz dog I get a confused look so I'll usually elaborate and say he was sold as a beagle x JRT. That's when the questions of 'why don't you get him dna tested?' start.

I don't want to have him dna tested because a) I like guessing and b) knowing his composition won't make any difference to my training or anything else.

In the end, he's just my Zeusling :D

read one lady with an Australian shepherd got back from that so called dna breed testing , that he had labrador, rottie and boxer the 3rd breed. since her dog was from pure pedigree parents I don't think any of those breeds ever contributed to the Australian shepherd somehow? Didn't they arrive in America with a shipload of sheep from Australia? hence the "Australian" bit to their name? German Coolies have been here in the land of oz for over 100 years and they too got their name because they arrived on our sunburnt shores along with a shipment of sheep from, have you guessed it? Germany old man. they are a feature out Tarana and Bathurst way. Hondo Gratton grew up on a property where the only working dogs were Coolies n gee they sure look like dare I say it? Nope better not eh.

Huh?

But anyway, RSA has an Australian Terrier, not an Australian Shepherd. Being Aussies, of course we abbreviate both to "Aussie" ????

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This all just goes to show that a lot of people out there are clueless about many things dog so we shouldn't be surprised when they feed them shit food, have no clue how they get pregnant, don't know when a health issue is serious and requires vet treatment and don't understand about public doggy etiquette (leashing, humping, picking up poo). :mad:cry:

My Aussie is ALWAYS labelled a Silky or Yorkie :mad but I'm mostly asked if Zeus is a pointer, harrier or foxhound. When I reply no, he's my Heinz dog I get a confused look so I'll usually elaborate and say he was sold as a beagle x JRT. That's when the questions of 'why don't you get him dna tested?' start.

I don't want to have him dna tested because a) I like guessing and b) knowing his composition won't make any difference to my training or anything else.

In the end, he's just my Zeusling :D

laugh.gif Understood!

Giant Schnauzer (pepper and salt) most often mistaken for Irish Wolfhound.

Standard Poodle (black and white parti) has been mistaken for all kinds of crosses. Most frequently Dalmatian. Any plenty of disbelieving looks when I say he's all poodle!

Standard Poodle (black and white parti) has been mistaken for all kinds of crosses. Most frequently Dalmatian. Any plenty of disbelieving looks when I say he's all poodle!

I had no idea poodles came in parti! Just had to google - thought they were all solid.

I have had the Mals called Greyhounds on a number of occasions

!!!!!

Oh Dear ;)

Yep, doberman cops the same as well. But funny enough, it was also while we had a greyhound, and they would be standing side by side. ????

Given it's an uncommon breed (in this country....there's piles of them in Scandinavia!) ... I can often see what people are seeing when they make guesses about Tibbies. Even those who say...'Bit like a Koala!" Just look at Pavi the Tib (click enlarge):

post-3304-0-75664600-1473323373_thumb.jpg

Edited by mita

I had no idea poodles came in parti! Just had to google - thought they were all solid.

Saw my first parti-poodle in the late 80s. Gorgeous dog.

Not a dog story, but...

A visitor looked at my parents' Jersey house cow and a group of Fresian calves, and asked, "Is she their mother?"

Umm... They're different breeds, and cows don't have litters.

wish I had a dollar for every time I was asked "when is the foal due" they were looking at my slightly obese gelding?

although I think the winner was the neighbor who asked me why is my donkey mare beating up my stallion? went to have a look and standing there looking at me, were one donkey stallion and one donkey gelding??

how do you explain that to their owner ? He bought them as a "breeding pair"

When I had my three I was once told by a woman that she had a male and female the same as mine and had bred them a few years back, I asked her what sort of dogs they were; she looked surprised and answered 'same as yours...Maltese'

sigh

eta thank you Dogz for making me question random statements from random people

Edited by Boronia

I have had the Mals called Greyhounds on a number of occasions

!!!!!

Oh Dear ;)

Yep, doberman cops the same as well. But funny enough, it was also while we had a greyhound, and they would be standing side by side. ????

Yeah LOL! "What's that crossed with" or "What kind of GSD or GSD x is that" is pretty common and I can't blame people for not recognizing what is a pretty uncommon breed but Greyhound does make me giggle.