Anxiety

HeelerLove

Have you had her hearing tested(BAER) ,as the breed is predisposed to hearing issues that would be the first thing i would get down.

Don't underestimate a dog with limited or hearing in one ear still being alert as they can often use there other senses in a more annoying fashion.

She may have good hearing in one ear & not the other

Sorry I'm on my phone so it's hard to quote sections from posts..

Mrs RB

So you mean the ear splitting bark is probably here to stay? :laugh: both Shez (the 10yo) and Gussy (the old boy in profile pic who has crossed the bridge now) have/had big deep barks (all at least mostly cattle dog) so I was hoping it was just a puppy thing!

Re: antagonism- probably can't be prevented unless she is kept inside when we're not home or we move house. Don't want to say anymore about that on a public forum but if you think it's important I could elaborate in PM.

We have discussed keeping them inside during the day. Shez would be fine but we're a bit worried what Callie might get in to- she still likes to chew. Think it is probanly worth another think though.

He was probably home a bit more so she wasn't without human company as much as she is now. I'd consider her to be more bonded to me (might be wishful thinking though lol) but it definitely could be a factor.

Showdog:

No haven't had her tested. Her hearing seems to be perfectly fine, just somewhat selective at times but is something to discuss with the vet next time, thanks!

Edited by HeelerLove

Re: antagonism- probably can't be prevented unless she is kept inside when we're not home or we move house

You would need to find a way to either desensitize her to the cause or prevent it (ie she stays inside).

I don't think I could leave my dog in a situation where I know something is going to upset her enough cause anxiety like the council ranger and neighbour describe.

and if the problem is coming from another neighbour - they will probably antagonise and report - repeat until your dogs or you are gone. Or they are. That kind of thing has been described on this forum before - ie other people have had problems with neighbours deliberately upsetting their dogs. (that's me guessing your problem might be similar).

how did the problems get solved?

- with the renters - they can be reported to landlords - and evicted - usually there are a bunch of problems the landlord doesn't need and complaints from other neighbours are enough for the landlord to get grounds to move them out.

one person ended up in jail I think - based on the log of events posted here partly. Ie they were doing stuff that was very illegal to upset the dogs and everything else on their neighbour's property. Beware the rural bargain with the very dodgy people next door. Tho the ones being persecuted - also moved as best I can remember.

And sometimes - only you can fix it by moving.

And the squeaky bark is probably here to stay - but may only come out on special (exciting) occasions. Like when you have yiros and are not sharing.

• 2 weeks later...

Interested in this thread as I am currently caring for two small dogs that undisclosed to me , one has SA and the other joins in. Older dogs and ingrained. Not very good for these dogs if I can't keep them as owner unable to care for them ATM.

Experimented yesterday and alone the SA dog is not so bad inside as more whimpering. The other dog is quiet when SA dog gone. Together they r bloody unbelievable!

At day outside and quiet if I am home and for long periods when I am gone. But just a short time with that racket cannot be fair to my neighbours. Who BTW r helpful .

I have gone thru this before with my own adopted dog.

Cured gradually by all the exercise, training, leaving with no fuss , no food left either till later in life as this becomes a cue, no fuss when home, plus a girlfriend.

The owner might be able to supply the Adaptil collar if you think this would work. Where could I buy one?

I am crating dogs inside at night so that's quiet, they love it as been thru the wars lately.

Sorry hijacked your thread but SA is so damm stressful.

Love to know how it goes.

The best place to get adaptil is from a physical store that will price match an online price for you. Some shops have conditions about the online price being from a shop with a physical storefront others just say it has to be Australian. When I was experimenting with Adaptil I was getting Petbarn to price match from Budget Pet Supplies.

If not a vet behaviourist, would the owner at least be open to seeing a regular vet who has an interest in behaviour medicine? There are some listed HERE.

It's worthwhile trying, but if the SA is severe an Adaptil collar/diffuser may not touch the sides of it. I think the dog should be assessed for meds (which may well be cheaper than Adaptil btw).

Poor dog. :(

Edited by Papillon Kisses

Thanks. Will look into it. Just giving owner time to get over recent surgery before telling her all is not rosy.

A vet visit with meds might save the dog. My friend is a trainer working with a VB so might get some help that way.

Just read your vet list and I know Jaime so might suggest that

Edited by skip