Steve

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

And your point is?

Sorry didn't know I needed a point - simply passing the info on in case someone other than me is interested.

I was wondering why it was "news" - because euth stats are publicly available. All this demonstrates is that a past/present employee has "stolen" and published data that is essentially meaningless. I've seen enough dogs be adopted out - that should have been and were destined to be euthanased - because someone felt sure the dog would make a perfectly good pet and/or could be cured.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

And your point is?

Sorry didn't know I needed a point - simply passing the info on in case someone other than me is interested.

I was wondering why it was "news" - because euth stats are publicly available. All this demonstrates is that a past/present employee has "stolen" and published data that is essentially meaningless. I've seen enough dogs be adopted out - that should have been and were destined to be euthanased - because someone felt sure the dog would make a perfectly good pet and/or could be cured.

Well it was news for me as Ive never seen a list before that actually tells me what breeds were involved or one by one why they were killed. For me this answers things so far the usual stats haven't done for me and the more I look at it the more questions it answers for me.

And your point is?

Well it was news for me as Ive never seen a list before that actually tells me what breeds were involved or one by one why they were killed. For me this answers things so far the usual stats haven't done for me and the more I look at it the more questions it answers for me.

Wish it was that simple. Sometimes it just means that certain breeds are more popular in that region. Or the types of people who are attracted to that breed encourage certain behaviours. Or there's been a large number of dogs seized or surrendered. Not to mention that breed ID certainly can't be relied upon. I've been inside enough shelters - here and in the USA - to not make any assumptions based on this document.

Shelters also have a LEGAL level of responsibility. You'll never hear about it but insurers have certainly paid out where a shelter has knowingly re-homed an aggressive dog.

And shelters have to make decisions about where they spend resources too - X on Dog A with severe HD or X on 6 other dogs.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

And your point is?

Wish it was that simple. Sometimes it just means that certain breeds are more popular in that region. Or the types of people who are attracted to that breed encourage certain behaviours. Or there's been a large number of dogs seized or surrendered. Not to mention that breed ID certainly can't be relied upon. I've been inside enough shelters - here and in the USA - to not make any assumptions based on this document.

Yes I know all that but I was more interested in the medical conditions that they link to the breeds and a couple of other things including that only one Maremma was listed.

Shelters also have a LEGAL level of responsibility. You'll never hear about it but insurers have certainly paid out where a shelter has knowingly re-homed an aggressive dog.

And shelters have to make decisions about where they spend resources too - X on Dog A with severe HD or X on 6 other dogs.

You don't have to defend them to me - I know what they do and why and I wasn't attempting to show they were doing anything wrong etc . I don't want everything saved and the number was of no interest to me or I would have not been so interested because I can get the numbers already.

And your point is?

Yes I know all that but I was more interested in the medical conditions that they link to the breeds and a couple of other things including that only one Maremma was listed.

I must be missing something. There's not enough information available. They haven't linked anything to breed. Someone IDs the animal when it comes in (to the best of their ability) and someone else assesses it. The medical descriptions given aren't even detailed enough to reach any conclusions. Regardless of breed, they can't release a human aggressive dog back into the community???

And your point is?

I must be missing something. There's not enough information available. They haven't linked anything to breed. Someone IDs the animal when it comes in (to the best of their ability) and someone else assesses it. The medical descriptions given aren't even detailed enough to reach any conclusions. Regardless of breed, they can't release a human aggressive dog back into the community???

Of course they cant release a human aggressive dog back into the community regardless of breed.

I simply found it interesting and if they are not linking reasons for death to breed then why describe the breed at all? Why not just dog number and why it was put down?

And your point is?

Of course they cant release a human aggressive dog back into the community regardless of breed.

I simply found it interesting and if they are not linking reasons for death to breed then why describe the breed at all? Why not just dog number and why it was put down?

Well EVERY animal that enters the shelter is ID'd - by species and by breed (or the best guess) - every animal that is lost and handed in, caught by council rangers, seized, surrendered, adopted out, fostered and euthanased. It's just the process that is followed when every animal is admitted - scan for microchip is number one by the way. Can you imagine calling the shelter about your lost Dalmatian and being told "sorry we're not sure, we don't record the breed as we don't want to discriminate". Some employee has just lifted a bunch of records out of the very large database.

a whole litter of puppies :-(

356095 Puppy Labrador Retriever Behavioural - Stressed, Anxiety, Timidity, Fearful

Lethal Injection

Euthanised 24-Feb-2016

356096 Puppy Labrador Retriever Behavioural - Stressed, Anxiety, Timidity, Fearful

Lethal Injection

Euthanised 24-Feb-2016

356097 Puppy Labrador Retriever Behavioural - Stressed, Anxiety, Timidity, Fearful

Lethal Injection

Euthanised 24-Feb-2016

356098 Puppy Labrador Retriever Behavioural - Stressed, Anxiety, Timidity, Fearful

Lethal Injection

Euthanised 24-Feb-2016

356099 Puppy Labrador Retriever Behavioural - Stressed, Anxiety, Timidity, Fearful

Lethal Injection

Euthanised 24-Feb-2016

356100 Puppy Labrador Retriever Behavioural - Stressed, Anxiety, Timidity, Fearful

I shouldn't have looked. 2 greyhounds put down for dental reasons for gawds sake when it's known they can have poor mouths and it's not becaus eof poor feeding practices either. No wonder they are saying they are going to put down 50% of all greyhounds surrendered to them if they use dental for an excuse.

And your point is?

Well EVERY animal that enters the shelter is ID'd - by species and by breed (or the best guess) - every animal that is lost and handed in, caught by council rangers, seized, surrendered, adopted out, fostered and euthanased. It's just the process that is followed when every animal is admitted - scan for microchip is number one by the way. Can you imagine calling the shelter about your lost Dalmatian and being told "sorry we're not sure, we don't record the breed as we don't want to discriminate". Some employee has just lifted a bunch of records out of the very large database.

Yes that's right and as a result the dog is identified by its breed or breed type and that info is linked to what happens to it so Can you imagine how such a list could be used to state that a particular breed and or breed type is more highly represented for having to be PTS for aggression than any other etc? That list doesn't tell several other things that I would have hoped could also be included for every dog and I appreciated being able to take a look at it even though when I was looking at it I was aware of all the things you have pointed out.

If it isnt news for others and no one else is interested it wouldn't be the first time I thought something was worthwhile looking at and others didn't .

a whole litter of puppies :-(

356095 Puppy Labrador Retriever Behavioural - Stressed, Anxiety, Timidity, Fearful

Lethal Injection

Euthanised 24-Feb-2016

356096 Puppy Labrador Retriever Behavioural - Stressed, Anxiety, Timidity, Fearful

Lethal Injection

Euthanised 24-Feb-2016

356097 Puppy Labrador Retriever Behavioural - Stressed, Anxiety, Timidity, Fearful

Lethal Injection

Euthanised 24-Feb-2016

356098 Puppy Labrador Retriever Behavioural - Stressed, Anxiety, Timidity, Fearful

Lethal Injection

Euthanised 24-Feb-2016

356099 Puppy Labrador Retriever Behavioural - Stressed, Anxiety, Timidity, Fearful

Lethal Injection

Euthanised 24-Feb-2016

356100 Puppy Labrador Retriever Behavioural - Stressed, Anxiety, Timidity, Fearful

I shouldn't have looked. 2 greyhounds put down for dental reasons for gawds sake when it's known they can have poor mouths and it's not becaus eof poor feeding practices either. No wonder they are saying they are going to put down 50% of all greyhounds surrendered to them if they use dental for an excuse.

It's horrible but I've seen some litters come into shelters that were so messed up. Never seen a human (think food tossed to the mother if she was lucky) and the offspring of poor temperament parents. And I've seen some that were "saved" and are bloody miserable. Catch 22. It's unusual for shelters to euth puppies as they sell very easily. No-one likes doing it.

No comment on the Greys as yes I have seen the same issues with Greys elsewhere.

And your point is?

Yes that's right and as a result the dog is identified by its breed or breed type and that info is linked to what happens to it so Can you imagine how such a list could be used to state that a particular breed and or breed type is more highly represented for having to be PTS for aggression than any other etc? That list doesn't tell several other things that I would have hoped could also be included for every dog and I appreciated being able to take a look at it even though when I was looking at it I was aware of all the things you have pointed out.

If it isnt news for others and no one else is interested it wouldn't be the first time I thought something was worthwhile looking at and others didn't .

It's incomplete data plain and simple that focuses on an emotive topic in an attempt to present RSPCA in the worst possible light.

So do you want the shelter to NOT record breed as each dog enters the shelter?

Same. I'm not sure how you assess separation anxiety in a kennels but it seems to be common reason for PTS. As does "behavioural" with no explanation.

Some of the no explanation is unassisted death - you have to look across the line.

Sure doesn't make the staffies look good does it?