Spitting In Dogs Mouths

You all have valid points all i was stating was what I was told by an old timer who obviously believed it worked or helped with dog training and obedience and the reason for the initial post was due to a question from someone else who was asking about it on this site if it helps even in the slightest then its beneficial for both dog and owner im not saying that its the be all and dont train your dog any other way it hurts neither dog nor owner so i cant see any harm and its also not a question about blowing smoke its about being open minded to new or old possibilities

initial post was due to a question from someone else who was asking about it on this site

Interesting. It is usual to respond to a question like that in the thread where it was asked - but sometimes - you can't - if the thread hasn't been updated in ages (like more than a year).

Maybe it's something we could try as a sort of scientific study... I suspect with my dog - it would make no difference. Tho she does like it when I feed her - whether I've chewed the food first or not makes no difference to her (or how obedient she is).

PTS - kill with drug vets use for pain killer overdose (I think).

I dunno what Greyhound people mean. Hopefully they mean as humanely as possible but in NSW - clearly not quite.

I think that in the last 100 years or so - how we kill animals and what is "socially acceptable" (in the city at least) has changed a lot.

even as recently as the 1980s and maybe still happens - Saturday night fun was to go "spotlighting" and a clean kill was optional. Personally even then I preferred a clean kill. But I wasn't the one with the guns.

And people used to dump or drown their excess "pets". cattle and sheep would starve to death in their paddocks during droughts.

Times have changed a lot.

But we still have appalling conditions for puppy farms and the chicken industry and the pork industry. Not all of them but a significant number. The fact that the supermarkets can manipulate the definition of free range for their own benefit so the term remains meaningless - 10,000 hens per hectare - and many never get outside - that's not free range in my book.

I don't think greyhound people can touch them for appalling behaviour and animal cruelty. Tho there might be some battery egg farmers who also race greyhounds. I don't know.

A bit like when you see one dog licking another dogs mouth to calm them down.

A puppy will lick an adult dog's mouth - as a "gimme food" thing or to indicate "pleased to see you" greeting or to show submission/greeting.

I've not seen the mother dog lick the puppy's mouth - but more lick the whole puppy - in much the same movements as we pat a dog. long strokes from head to tail. Which usually does a good job of calming a dog, also ear strokes.

Haven't seem drooly dog mums in action (eg blood hound or dogue de bordeaux) - maybe they spit in their puppies' mouths more?

My stafford licks my pei's mouth and gums and teeth quite a lot. The pei is anxious while the stafford is chill, but the stafford has always been very in tune with the moods of the other dogs in the house (and us humans). In particular she has done wonders with some very scared fosters. She also used to sit next to them sort of on guard duty while they slept. She's not related to any of the dogs she mouth licks but she's always done it when she senses they are distressed in some way. She doesn't lick anything else (not an ear cleaner thankfully!).

The guy i know used pts as post track side a significant place to be for some trainers or owners he said he saw some not very nice things in the industry but he was above board he and his wife also ran a rspca approved foster home all animal related industries have thier bad and good but it's all driven by consumer demand i dont believe in cruelty towards any animal although on the other hand I can understand why some people do it greed is one reason (for mass producers) a sense of doing what they think is the right thing for the environment (as you where saying about saturday nights culling ferals) and lets not forget about callousness (as in the aholes who think it's stress relief to kick thier dogs) i understand why it happens but I don't condone it

Sorry i dont have a pure breed but i saw a bit about spitting in your dogs mouth for training im 45 and i remember an old cocky telling me in my early teens that you spit once for obedience twice for loyalty and three times for your dog to follow you to the ends of the earth I've only ever spat twice and have had the most obedient and loyal dogs that I can ask for i know mates that have done it three times and they're dogs are loyal and obedient but there is no way they can contain them in the yard some even climb trees to get over 6-7 foot fences males always first females always second for spitting the dog will follow the alpha male for protection the alhpa female for affection or family our staffy bully crosses have never failed myself or my wife we aren't harsh with them and we don't need to punish them its worth a shot

Interesting theory but I've also had an old drover, farm hand who has a reputation for having had really good working dogs (I was told this by other people not him) say that it was a load of crock. What about all the other dogs that are obedient, loyal and will also follow their owners to the end of the earth that haven't been spat at, how did they become like that? I inclined to think maybe preparedness and being a good owner has something to do with it.