Rapid Mental Decline?

MadWoofter

Fleming is rapidly deteriorating mentally. Three weeks ago he had occasional moments of being 'lost' where he would go into the bathroom & face the wall, now he doesn't seem to know where he is most of the time, he doesn't greet me at the door, is sleeping nearly constantly, toileting where-ever (he's normally so fastidious and will hold on until he goes out), and today he didn't recognise my mum, who he loves to bits.

We are off to the vet tomorrow morning and I am fully preparing myself for him to be given his wings (he has other health issues not just the mental decline).

Has anyone else experienced this rapid decline mentally? Was there any non-invasive treatment that helped?

MW when I was researching Mac's canine dementia I read somewhere that 60% of dogs over ten show at least early signs of dementia. But from what I know the decline is not usually so rapid. I'd be suspicious there is something else going on. The problem you've got is that even if you find out what it is will it change your treatment decisions? I feel for you. It's so hard when this happens. Good luck.

Edited by westiemum

Oh WM... huge hugs my friend... and can you pass some on to the old man from me too please?

Whatever happens it will be your gift from the heart to your loyal companion... but it's so hard when it's such a quick timeframe between OK and definitely NOT OK...

Zeddy sprang the decision on me in the course of a couple of hours... definitely not much time to get one's head around things, but it was definitely her time, and I let her go with dignity... I did my crying afterwards, and it definitely took a bit of adjusting to over the next few weeks.

Fingers crossed that he's got something going on that can be reversed somewhat... even for a little while...

T.

I'm far from an expert on this - but sounds like CCD (Canine cognitive dysfunction or doggy dementia). There are a few threads on here if you look for CCD + a lot of great meds and supplements on the market. Lots of trial and error regarding both with most dogs having really varied responses to them. From what I have read - including on facebook it's common for owners to report either instant improvement or not at all

We started Scottie on vivitonin a few months ago as he was showing some symptoms - mainly night walking, getting lost + a few others and the change in his was fast and incredibly remarkable. He still has off nights - usually when he's managed to eat something before a meal time - as the vivitonin works best on an empty tummy.

Vivitonin enhances the quality of life in aging dogs. Not only does it increase oxygenation, but it also improves cardiovascular function and neurological performance.

Is an aged dog barking at night? Does it not recognise its owners? Wanders aimlessly in the garden and appears lost? Started defecating or urinating in the house which it has never done before? Has an enthusiastic dog slowed up and lost interest in going for walks? Does he/she seem breathless when it gets back from a walk? Is the geriatric dog less tolerant of other dogs or even people?

All of these symptoms (alone or together) can be an indication of early senile changes or poor systemic oxygenation.

Vivitonin can go a long way to alleviate this age related deterioration.

Vivitonin tablets contain 50mg of propentofyllin. Propentofyllin exerts a multi-site action that results in vasodilation and reduced blood viscosity to increase blood flow to the internal organs, especially the brain, heart and skeletal muscles. It also has a bronchodilatory effect improving oxygen uptake. Vivitonin alleviates dullness and lethargy and improves overall demeanour in geriatric dogs.

http://www.msd-animal-health.co.nz/products/vivitonin_/010_product-overview.aspx

Good luck - It's so hard watching a dog slip mentally :(

Edited by Scottsmum

I'm so sorry :( it's so hard.

Kidney and liver failure can also change things drastically. Personality changes, mainly kind of dull and ga-ga. Slow. Sleepy. Some will seek a corner and just stand there for hours or get wedged in places. Thirst means more need to pee and they can't keep up with it. Sometimes it's very diluted

For CCD, vivitonin or the beta blocker propranolol work well if CCD is the problem.

Let me know if you need a chat or anything. xxx Anna

Bree is on Apo Selegiline which is only once daily and 1/2 the price of the first med she was on.

We didn't think we could afford Vivitonin at first (our vet estimated it would cost $100 per month) - the Selegiline was a lot cheaper. But he couldnt take selegeline as it contradicted the meds he's on for anxiety.

We were lucky - we were able to source vivitonin for $60 a month via an online pharmacy.

It's worth noting that the two do work differently too :)

This happened with my last BC girl...very sad & it all happened within less than six months. She went deaf as well as having bad dementia & losing control of her bodily functions. The day we arranged for the vet to come & give her her wings, she went walkabout. Just when we were getting used to the idea, that she had decided to find herself a lovely place somewhere in the bush that she loved, to die, she turned back up (followed the smell of a neighbour's motorbike) :cry:

So sad to read this, MadWoofter. I don’t have any additional advice to that given, but you and Fleming are in my thoughts. Danny’s deterioration was fairly rapid, but over a few months, not weeks. He was 17 and a half and also had a variety of conditions all being managed very well until the last week.

Hopefully you will have Fleming with you for a little while yet.

:love::love:

Fleming got his wings this morning :cry:

We think he must have had a brain tumour or bleed for the very rapid decline, and he had hyper-sensitivity this morning. We ended up with a double dose of sedation before he was put on anaesthetic gas in order for the vet to be able to administer the final needle.

He didn't even know who I was, but he's at peace now doG love him