Microchip Issues

Ivory & Beau

I had Badgers microchip scanned recently when the vet was out for my horse as I had done a search of his chip awhile ago and nothing came up online.

His chip scans with the same number on his papers but still doesn't appear online when I do a search.

Should I get him done again?

Check which registry the chip is registered with and then contact them. I have had a few where the chip is registered but no details on it, have sent in copies of surrender papers and they fix it for us.

I have seen others where we still have the form from the vet on the day they implanted it but somehow the registry put someone elses details on the chip not ours - that was confusing to sort out as the registry claimed they dont make mistakes until we sent them a copy of the signed implant form from the vets.

Something to also be aware of is the way the number is entered can change whether or not it comes up. I had a horse microchipped and put on the Hendra register and when the vet entered the chip number she wrote it as it appeared underneath the barcode on the packet, with spaces in between runs of numbers. When I went into the registry to check status the number wouldn't come up as I was entering it as an unbroken string of numbers without spaces. I had to contact the company which administers the registry to alert them to the issue, they changed the horse's number to remove the spaces for mine but it is a potentially concerning issue for sure.

And some scanners don't pick them up. When I got the cocker scanned, the first scanner the vet used found nothing. She got another one and it found it straight away. That's cause for concern if the dog finding body, council, RSPCA etc only scan once or have aged dodgy scanners.

And some scanners don't pick them up. When I got the cocker scanned, the first scanner the vet used found nothing. She got another one and it found it straight away. That's cause for concern if the dog finding body, council, RSPCA etc only scan once or have aged dodgy scanners.

had that happen, turned out the first scanners batteries were low.

It's not a company, but the NSW government.

Residents in NSW must have their dogs and cats included on the NSW Registry.

There is a difference in NSW between microchipping and registering. Two different processes. Microchipping is the identification of a dog or cat and registration is the process of recording their address and which local government area they reside under.

Adding them to the microchip database, in NSW, is free.

Microchipping incurs a fee, usually by an Authorised Implanter or a vet.

Registering them costs - the once only fee is paid online on the new system or direct to a council on the old system.

Edited by ~Anne~

NSW chips need to be registered with another registry if the dog is moved out of NSW. It is a total pain in the neck.

Chose a registry that you trust (Central Animal Records is my personal favourite) and register his details with them, using the chip number he has.