Degenerative Myelopathy And Then Vestibular Disease

nelsona

My German shepherd is 14.

My boy is also a cancer survivor.

He was diagnosed with DM three years ago, but it looks like his disease

did not progress that fast.

He was mobile though dragged (a bit)his hind legs (this slowly getting worse) and was incontinent both ways.

I would take him for short walks, but then he would collapse to a sitting position;

and I had to stand him.

He is also deaf and has cataracts.

The vet advised six months ago he had 3-4 months to live, but somehow he is still around.

He suddenly collapsed two weeks ago and I thought this was due to his DM.

It turned out, however, that he had vestibular disease.

He was treated accordingly and recovered;

The problem is that since then, he stopped walking.

I tried to stand him when he got better, but he would just collapse

I massaged his legs, supported his body when standing him, but nothing helped.

It looks like his legs "went" not because of his DM but due to the vestibular disease.

He is just lying. He eats, drinks sleeps a lot and apparently is not in pain.

I blame myself that I should have made him walk somehow; that perhaps his legs deteriorated

due to him lying, not using them.

I took time of work, I turn him often so he doesn't get pressure sores.

He is incontinent, so I keep changing his nappies and bedding.

I love him dearly and could look after him forever, perhaps organise a set of wheels.

I could if I didn't have to work.

If I knew it's a matter of months, I would wait with him for the inevitable (after all he is not in pain).

I have to go to work, however; and he needs 24 hours care.

I don't know what to do. He is alert and keeps looking directly into my eyes.

His intelligent eyes are full of expression.

I don't know what to do.

I would be so grateful for an input.

Edited by nelsona

Im so sorry to hear this, as others have said it is time for you to give him the greatest gift and put him to sleep

A large breed dog that can not stand and get away from his urine and faeces, ven though he may not be in pain, is suffering somewhat.

I hope you can be brave and do the kindest thing for him. Big hugs. xx

Oh dear ....

he has had enough, his body has given up . He is now not 'living' ..his is an existence only as he cannot do any doggy behaviours anymore ....and all he wants from you now is a peace and release from this life.

He will be in discomfort and , as humans are supposed to be the wise ones, we have decisions to make ..not for US..but for our dogs .

Never forget these words of wisdom :

"better a day too early than a day too late "

:hug: to you ...

I'm really sorry for you, from what you describe I think you know the answer. Ask yourself if you truly believe he is enjoying life now, or is he just existing? Dont be blaming yourself that you could have done something to make him better. He wont get better, he is old and he is worn out. You have to be brave and unselfish now, let him go. :(

nelsona thats a great honest post and shows how much you love him. I feel for you as I was in your position with my beloved Mac a very old westie, almost 12 months ago. He had a polyneuropathy, was losing hind leg function,was incontinent, had dementia, poor vision and was as deaf as a door post. I considered wheels for him but he wasn't in good enough shape generally.

The day I came home from work and found him half in and half out of his bed in the laundry, very thirsty, panting and sitting in his wee and poo and unable to move was the day I decided the time had come. I didn't want that for my darling boy. So I made plans to send him on his way. Maccles went to God on the 20th of November last year.

And yes I agree with the others - I suspect your darling boy is telling you 'it's time'.

I hope that helps and take care.hug.gif

I think he's looking into your eyes to say he loves you and now it's time to let him go.

I'm so sorry, you clearly love him dearly

I think so too.

It is the hardest thing we ever have to do, to be brave and strong and let them go. It is one last gift of love.

(I couldn't, and nature was cruel instead.)

My heart hurts for you, Nelsona. I know that pain and the yearning to look into those loving eyes forever. He will always be your heart dog.

Be strong. xx

Can you get the vet to come to your home, and do you have an understanding friend who can be with you? Whether you do it in a day or a week or a month, it's not far off now. Can I just say I've recently had to let 2 dogs go and it was done differently to every other dog I've had put down in the past, and it will be the way I'll do it from now on if at all possible. I took them in to the vet, I made the decision that the time had come and he gave them a pain killer and sedative, put a line in their foreleg with some tape over it and told me to take them home and he would come to my house in about 2 hours. So we went home and in that time they weren't in pain and were quite relaxed. I was able to cuddle and love them, then he came out and we sat where they were comfy. He used the line he'd already put in at the clinic, so no messing about looking for a vein. While I cuddled them, they ever so gently just stopped living. I apologise if this upsets you, but I feel you will be dealing with it soon and I wanted to share the best way I've seen it done in the hope it will make things easier for you both.

We recently had to let our GSD go. (He had suspected DM.) The vet said to me that sometimes people regretted leaving it too long. But he had never heard anyone saying they did it too soon.

Coda reached 10 years and 10 months to the day.

This is my email to the vet on next day:

Thank you for your kindness yesterday with Coda. Even though I knew the day was coming it is still gut-wrenching to finally make that decision.

Last night I looked back at my photos. There were some tears, but there were some smiles too.

Usually on a Sunday morning I lie-in, and Coda would come upstairs to check on me. It was very strange not to have a GSD nose appearing at my pillow. But, and this is the part that gives me comfort, it was also a relief not to listen to him struggling up those stairs. And then waiting to hear if he made it safely back down again. I think his heart kept bringing up long after his body wanted him to stop.

He was a good dog. He was loved by his people. He was a great ambassador for his breed. And in the end, maybe that is all any of us can ask for.

post-2393-0-99068300-1473678959_thumb.jpg

Thank You all so much.

Every personal story is helping me.

I am so grateful for this forum - there is so much kindness and compassion here.

This forum is also educational for me.

You all helped me with my decision.

a BIG hug and a BIG Thank You

I have tears in my eyes reading all these. What a lucky dog he is having someone love him so much.

I agree with those who said he's looking at you with love and to say goodbye. When I helped my little dog fall asleep for the last time in my arms, it was so peaceful. He just relaxed and was gone.

My beautiful boy was hanging in there.

I was going to make a decision until it was decided for me.

During his illness he was lying on a fulton (a soft bedding)

I would turn him over regularly to prevent bedsores

Then a dreaded bedsore appeared - small, like a 5 cent piece.

I treated it as much as I could but within two days it grew

big and infected.

As the vet explained,the infection would be spreading to other parts of his body.

He said the dog was too old to fight it; that his immune system was too tired.

The vet said he could make him sleep on the day or next week.

I made my decision straight away. The vet was so good, gentle, compassionate.

(He referred to my boy "My lovely patient").

My dog just fell asleep. I thought that was finally over for him. Definitely not too soon.

He was tired of life.

I can't thank you enough You beautiful people for helping me.

Edited by nelsona

My beautiful boy was hanging in there.

I was going to make a decision until it was decided for me.

During his illness he was lying on a fulton (a soft bedding)

I would turn him over regularly to prevent bedsores

Then a dreaded bedsore appeared - small, like a 5 cent piece.

I treated it as much as I could but within two days it grew

big and infected.

As the vet explained,the infection would be spreading to other parts of his body.

He said the dog was too old to fight it; that his immune system was too tired.

The vet said he could make him sleep on the day or next week.

I made my decision straight away. The vet was so good, gentle, compassionate.

(He referred to my boy "My lovely patient").

My dog just fell asleep. I thought that was finally over for him. Definitely not too soon.

He was tired of life.

I can't thank you enough You beautiful people for helping me.

So very sorry for your loss, and a celebration of the wonderful life he had with you, so loved and cared for. In my thoughts.

Run free, good boy :rainbowbridge: