Zencrate

Panto

If it worked it would be amazing!

Right!?

I think with the proper training, it's an assistance tool, not a fixer. My girl's fireworks phobia was so bad drugs and cuddles was the only solution at the end of the day. But if we'd had something to help in earlier days, I wonder if it would have got as bad?

I think the IF it worked is the big one. The fact that they are drawing on the science of music is an alarm bell...the science is awful!

Looks nice though. Similar looking crates are easily available in the USA.

I giggled at the music idea and thought I might just turn it off - but the best way we distracted Panto from fireworks/thunder was to turn the tv/music on loud to drown out external noise... so maybe there is something in that? I couldn't turn the sound on to listen, but the idea of them explaining it is making me cringe. :laugh:

Does anyone have a similar crate here in Australia? I am considering making one that is similar to this and painted to suit our decor.

This is so interesting! I wonder if they could incorporate some sort of static reduction technology also, as I do believe dogs can sense the static charge buildup with a thunderstorm that makes them scared. If they could I'd be putting my hand up for one!

I'd be immensely interested in this product if it works, for my girl who is storm-phobic and fireworks phobic. I've also used loud music to drown out the noise of storms/fireworks and drawn all the blinds and curtains to shut out the visual aspect of lightning flashes - this definitely helps her.

This is so interesting! I wonder if they could incorporate some sort of static reduction technology also, as I do believe dogs can sense the static charge buildup with a thunderstorm that makes them scared. If they could I'd be putting my hand up for one!

I'd be immensely interested in this product if it works, for my girl who is storm-phobic and fireworks phobic. I've also used loud music to drown out the noise of storms/fireworks and drawn all the blinds and curtains to shut out the visual aspect of lightning flashes - this definitely helps her.

I know it's not static - but another DOLer once told me directing a fan on the dog helps in storms.

Since Scottie has gone deaf he can't hear a lot of the loud bangs he's normally react to and we don't seem to get the level or frequency of storms (at least in my region) here in NZ compared to Sydney.

I wonder if it would be safe to use outside (undercover). When I am home I can manage it ok (with lots of other help and medications) but is when I am away that I worry. We have made progress with the medication and some other strategies though.

I think that there would be a market for something that works. I think there is a crate made in the UK that is supposed to be soundproof, with aircon fan etc.

http://www.prestigepets.co.uk/quiet-kennel/

Edited by betsy

This is the music I tested. I just played lots of the samples.

http://throughadogsear.com/samples/

That's what I use with Malcolm and it does seem to help a little. My parents are also using one of the puppy albums for their puppy. In that case there seems to be a fair bit of classical conditioning involved... pun not intended but awesome all the same. :D It was initially played when the puppy was tired and relaxed and sleepy and now when it goes on it's the signal to relax.

I like the idea of noise cancelling and vibration dampening - and the aesthetics are nice (it's pretty)...

But the k9+caprice with none of that fancy stuff works for my dog. And failing that - the gap between the wall and the sofa.

And they "only ship to certain countries" - really need to know which countries right?

I didn't know that about the static!

At the end of the day my only regret is not learning to medicate her earlier so I got the dosage/medication right sooner before the phobia got worse.

I was conditioned to start stomping when I saw lightning to disguise the sound of thunder and play games with her - at least until I could reach the stereo to turn it up! :laugh:

I realised how conditioned I was when I would be in the supermarket and started stomping when I saw lightning/heard thunder... :rofl:

This is the music I tested. I just played lots of the samples.

http://throughadogsear.com/samples/

That's what I use with Malcolm and it does seem to help a little. My parents are also using one of the puppy albums for their puppy. In that case there seems to be a fair bit of classical conditioning involved... pun not intended but awesome all the same. :D It was initially played when the puppy was tired and relaxed and sleepy and now when it goes on it's the signal to relax.

This is so awesome, I love it. Thanks for the link!

I like the idea of noise cancelling and vibration dampening - and the aesthetics are nice (it's pretty)...

But the k9+caprice with none of that fancy stuff works for my dog. And failing that - the gap between the wall and the sofa.

And they "only ship to certain countries" - really need to know which countries right?

US and Canada. It hasn't even been released yet!

I saw this on FB last night and I too would be interested. I think though my girl is too far along with her intense thunder phobia. I used to play that cd but lost it somewhere in between moves. I also turn the radio up really loud, not sure that does anything. Our usual routine is I medicate her, Xanax and a beta blocker and just hold her really tight. DAP and thundershirts do nothing.

I saw this on FB last night and I too would be interested. I think though my girl is too far along with her intense thunder phobia. I used to play that cd but lost it somewhere in between moves. I also turn the radio up really loud, not sure that does anything. Our usual routine is I medicate her, Xanax and a beta blocker and just hold her really tight. DAP and thundershirts do nothing.

It is awful to see the severe anxiety. We have had good success with clomicalm, after trying xanax with no good results, plus other adjuncts too (DAP, thundershirt, music). I also allow sleeping in the bedroom when it is a bad thunder night. In a much better place now, but took a bit of trial and error, and I'm glad that the medications have helped. One day we might get off them.

It is awful to see the severe anxiety. We have had good success with clomicalm, after trying xanax with no good results, plus other adjuncts too (DAP, thundershirt, music). I also allow sleeping in the bedroom when it is a bad thunder night. In a much better place now, but took a bit of trial and error, and I'm glad that the medications have helped. One day we might get off them.

It is. There was one which just dulled her faculties but I could still see fear in her eyes and I just held her. I can't remember what that one was now, but we did find one which just made her sleepy rather than dull.