Camping With Dogs

mowgliandme

Does anyone here take their dogs on camping trips and have something like a checklist of things to bring? Or first aid knowledge/items to know/bring? Last time we were only 1.5 hours away from home so i felt we could come back if anything went wrong but this time we are going three hours away - any tips would be greatly appreciated! :)

She is now almost 4 months old and I've taken her camping once before (and on lots of general weekend getaways), she is wonderfully behaved but I took a playpen which was handy when setting up the tent/cooking, picnic rug, usual food/water/bowls/toys/chews/treats etc., she sleeps in the tent and is overall very happy and relaxed in new settings.

She is on sentinel and nexguard, I'll get a tick twister before we go just in case though

We make sure we take plenty of towels and blankets. They are good for chilly nights (both dogs sleep with us in the tent or camper), when they get wet (anywhere near water!), if they get sick in the car (only ever happened once).

Also, we have a couple of collapsible buckets, as they flat pack well, and take a supply of water from home just in case. And we have added "their" stuff to our first aid box, and that is always with us.

Otherwise just their usual food, leads, beds, etc., and long line ropes. Having two older dogs that are experienced campers makes it easy, as they don't even bother to chase the 'roos anymore (but they are contained/tied up, just in case!)

Have fun!

I travel and camp with my 3 all the time - for agility and retrieving trials as well as for holidays. The best thing I've done is have the back of the X-trail built in:

8FC59081-7512-4EBB-994E-936844A7B8D7_zpsghviay7l.jpg

IMG_6541_zpsxfavp6ce.jpg

Silver shade mesh is brilliant and versatile in Summer and I don't know what I would do without my car's vent lock. I take cool coats and warm coats, lots of towels and more water than I think we will need.

This is my short-stay set up:

F3B703A1-20D2-4207-A7EF-FD9ED768FA24_zpstzvrr3nw.jpg

And I can add walls:

58F02474-275A-495E-A705-2FBB99AD50A5_zpsxqwzlsxv.jpg

We make sure we take plenty of towels and blankets. They are good for chilly nights (both dogs sleep with us in the tent or camper), when they get wet (anywhere near water!), if they get sick in the car (only ever happened once).

Also, we have a couple of collapsible buckets, as they flat pack well, and take a supply of water from home just in case. And we have added "their" stuff to our first aid box, and that is always with us.

Otherwise just their usual food, leads, beds, etc., and long line ropes. Having two older dogs that are experienced campers makes it easy, as they don't even bother to chase the 'roos anymore (but they are contained/tied up, just in case!)

Have fun!

Yep i also take lots of towels/blankets going anywhere - was 100% necessary last time as the ground was all muddy!

What is "their stuff" for the first aid box though? Is there specific medications/bandages I should have?

I travel and camp with my 3 all the time - for agility and retrieving trials as well as for holidays. The best thing I've done is have the back of the X-trail built in:

8FC59081-7512-4EBB-994E-936844A7B8D7_zpsghviay7l.jpg

IMG_6541_zpsxfavp6ce.jpg

Silver shade mesh is brilliant and versatile in Summer and I don't know what I would do without my car's vent lock. I take cool coats and warm coats, lots of towels and more water than I think we will need.

This is my short-stay set up:

F3B703A1-20D2-4207-A7EF-FD9ED768FA24_zpstzvrr3nw.jpg

And I can add walls:

58F02474-275A-495E-A705-2FBB99AD50A5_zpsxqwzlsxv.jpg

That is quite the set up TSD - they must love it!

she is travelling in her crate at the moment, will look into something like that once she has grown a bit more :)

Have fun!

Yep i also take lots of towels/blankets going anywhere - was 100% necessary last time as the ground was all muddy!

What is "their stuff" for the first aid box though? Is there specific medications/bandages I should have?

Whitney (great dane) is on various meds for heart, and Harry (greyhound) has issues with his neck, so their meds come, an array of different bandages, De-Gas, antihistamines, betadine, gauze and saline solution. Also, our vets are wonderful, and I have phoned them when hundreds of kilometers away for advice for pain management when Harry hurt his neck last time we were away. That was invaluable in helping him, and easing my panic!

Contact details for vets in the places you're going. In an emergency you don't want to be trying to find out where the closest vet might be while worrying about a sick pet (speaking from experience it sucks).

Just be careful if you tie them to the esky with the beers in it....... Never good having to chase the beers down the beach :D My staffy camped with us all the time. Didn't take anything special. Just what we used daily at home.

Only time things didn't quite go to plan was when we left him briefly tied to the car while we went to do something. He climbed up onto the roof for a better view of where we were..... Was the then bf's car. He was less than impressed with the claw marks up the bonnet, up the windscreen and on the roof.....

He used to love racing down sand dunes. For once I took a beautiful photo of him and same bf racing down a huge dune at rainbow beach. Miss that beautiful dog so much.

ETA one really handy thing I have, and use daily, is a canvas water bowl. It clips on to our lead and you don't know it's there.

Edited by karen15

I always take a tie out stake because at some point you're going to set up and be stationary or need dog out of the way.

If mat trained bring the mat.

Make sure cooking and fire is out of dogs way and out of way of the tie out.

First aid kits. Local vets. Maybe even let the ranger know you're in the area and when you're leaving (tell them when you leave so they don't check in on you)

If dog is offlead be prepared for wildlife chases. We thankfully only found an echidna, platypus and wasps. No wallabies.

Lots of towels. Dog will find a way to be wet and muddy. Doubles as blankets if unexpectedly cold, seats etc

I've got a check list of stuff at home. I keep our gear pretty light as leading up to going hiking so only what we can carry is the goal. I have a "dog on site" sign in case of other campers but I go pretty remote. Dog backpack so dog carries own food

Don't forget your camera!

Muzzle: emergencies, 1080, wildlife, dog shy rangers

Do some rest runs in backyard with dog and tent if you worry they won't like it.

My small set up:

tumblr_o6llpd92DI1qh8fino1_1280.jpg

Edited by Thistle the dog

I adore camping but our dogs hate it. One smart idea I had was to take one of those kids size beach shelter/tent thingies (similar to the one below) to set up outside for the dogs so they weren't tangled under our table and chairs during the day. We got ours for $2 from an op shop and the dogs loved it - they had a nice airy cave to watch the world go by from and felt a bit safer. They are light and take up little room when packed away, are quick to set up and provide shelter from the sun and light rain.

post-33739-0-95952800-1473918127_thumb.jpg

Edited by Little Gifts

Thanks for all the tips - I've added vet numbers/address to my phone :)

I'll be taking her play pen, so hopefully no esky escapades... it was very handy as the last time i had her on leash while eating and she got into a loaf of bread while i wasnt looking

hadnt heard of a tie out stake but looking into it now :)

Looks like its going to be such a muddy trip already! Got my bag full of towels at the ready O.o

I adore camping but our dogs hate it. One smart idea I had was to take one of those kids size beach shelter/tent thingies (similar to the one below) to set up outside for the dogs so they weren't tangled under our table and chairs during the day. We got ours for $2 from an op shop and the dogs loved it - they had a nice airy cave to watch the world go by from and felt a bit safer. They are light and take up little room when packed away, are quick to set up and provide shelter from the sun and light rain.

Think i have one of those sitting around somewhere, will sneak it along also :)

I also plan for PLENTY of dog training and exercise when we are camping - helps them settle when we want to relax around the camp site or at a winery for lunch. One thing I do notice is that sleep ins are non-existent. Mine are normally brilliant at home but the Springers, in particular, get very restless as soon as the birds start chirping. So I usually suck it up and plan for a long walk on the beach - grab a travel mug of leaf tea and a muesli bar then come back and have a leisurely breakfast later.

You can buy a Stake which screws into the ground with a 3 or 6m plastic coated cable. Works well in hard dirt not so much in sand, I use that or I attach the cables to my ute they are a lot easier to manage and untangle than long lines which was my previous plan. Jesse is a night wanderer and I end up getting up a few times a night to untangle her so she sleeps in the swag with me and Jonah sleeps in his bed at the open end when I can keep a hand on him. He is very protective and takes his duties seriously which can be a pain if there are night wanderers nearby. They only walk past once and then find other routes to their destination.

Sorry Mowgli, canetoad has described exactly what I meant by tie out! Basically a stake you screw into the ground. Much more secure than a random tree branch or your backpack :laugh:

she sleeps in the tent with me though, because i get cold.

Only in the tent? Last time I camped it was in the very low single digits and I had 2 Spaniels under the doona :laugh: Funniest thing was my friend who has one of Em's puppies was camping with us - we bunked in together - it was Murphy's first time camping and he was BESIDE himself with excitement..."oh my GOODNESS! It's my SISTER! Oh my GOODNESS! There's 2 of my favourite PEOPLE lying down to be licked! Oh my GOODNESS it's my mum - yes, complete respect...,oh my GOODNESS! It's my sister!!!" :rofl:

where did you get your tie out from? :) I have been looking for a long line as well but my local pet stores dont seem to stock them, so any recommendations for those too would be great! :)

TSD I think we have the opposite personality pups!

She sleeps snuggled next to me in the tent in my sleeping bag (and tries to sleep in a lot more camping because at home she sleeps in a crate next to my bed) and is more of a lazing around next to people dog, so far the longest walk she's had has been about 20 minutes and she was ready to snooze for a few hours after that

So my hikes are thoroughly limited for a while :( at least until shes a bit older...last one I carried her half way, but shes only 4 months and i was told to only do 5 minutes walking per month of age, not sure if thats a good rule to go by? but seems to tire her out enough!

One thing I wasn't prepared for first time we took our then 6 month old lab camping was a) he was scared of the roos like terrified and 2) he ate bluebottles on the beach.

Bring long leads , stakes to tie them to with the long lead, big tent as the dog will be in there with you and first aid .

Portable canvas water bowl are really Handy for beach camping .