Puppy Refusing To Eat But Seen Vet Give Ok

steppenwolfstaffords

Got a 8 week old puppy. on wednesday ate lunch, wednesday night didnt get out of bed for tea. temp of 39.3 and taken to the vet, said belly soft seems ok , hydrated bright etc. given shot of antibiotics and some to take home

today is friday still barely eaten. temp is normal puppy is happy bright and still playing and doing puppy things but WONT eat.

she picked at tea last night and thats it .

ive tried

usual food (dry & mince)

diff dry and mince

just mince

dog roll

cooked dog food

cooked human food

nutrigel

pigs ear

turns nose to it all

edited to add

still drinking pooing and weeing and playing like a healthy puppy

ideas?

Edited by steppenwolfstaffords

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure you and or vet have done but a thorough check of teeth mouth gums for signs of any problems, also ears as inflamed ears may inhibit desire to chew.

As far as food, roast chicken or tinned fish worth a shot.

Good luck.

I'm sure you and or vet have done but a thorough check of teeth mouth gums for signs of any problems, also ears as inflamed ears may inhibit desire to chew.

As far as food, roast chicken or tinned fish worth a shot.

Good luck.

thank you the vet check her belly as she was grunting when u touched it. but it was soft and ok they said ... ill check her mouth .. she did have a small chew on the pigs ear this morning but it barely looks touched

thanks ill get some tined fish but id pretty much say shell turn her not to the chicken as she turned her nose to our stew dinner

thanks

When were they vaccinated? I've had pups go a bit funny after vaccs, but as long as you keep them hydrated, they bounce back pretty quickly.

Do not worm her if she's showing wierd signs... or use a softer acting worming tablet like Fenpral or Canex... do NOT give Drontal if she's off her food, as it's really hard on the gut.

T.

Weird double post.

Double post ??

means they posted the same thing twice.

Sounds like the pup got a little out of sorts and is now recovering. If that's what it is then eating should be next. What happened on Tuesday? Did they get vaccinated or something out of the ordinary happen?

ahhh yup i see it now they posted twice ......

they got vaccianted the friday prior so nearer to a whole week prior then not

ive gotten her to ear some cat food ..... atleast for now its something and she might start to increase her appetite and ill start adding regular food back in in a few days if she continues .....FINGERS CROSSED

When were they vaccinated? I've had pups go a bit funny after vaccs, but as long as you keep them hydrated, they bounce back pretty quickly.

Do not worm her if she's showing wierd signs... or use a softer acting worming tablet like Fenpral or Canex... do NOT give Drontal if she's off her food, as it's really hard on the gut.

T.

she was vaccinated 5 days prior ... thanks good idea ... shes my keeper so ill worm her later on once shes better

...if the dog got his puppy shot it could be a reaction to the shot (in case it got a shot hopefully it wasn't a C6 or C7); a reaction is not unlikely - however it seems that vets are reluctant to record those reactions as side effects. In some parts of the world there are data bases where side effects should be entered, but these data bases cover only the first 3 days after the shot...if there are side effects noticeable on the forth day....bad luck....

ETA:...ok, I wrote this post while other responded at the same time...

Edited by Willem

...if the dog got his puppy shot it could be a reaction to the shot (in case it got a shot hopefully it wasn't a C6 or C7); a reaction is not unlikely - however it seems that vets are reluctant to record those reactions as side effects. In some parts of the world there are data bases where side effects should be entered, but these data bases cover only the first 3 days after the shot...if there are side effects noticeable on the forth day....bad luck....

interesting you say this .. she is the only pup that got vaccinated with C5 rest where c3...would it react 5 days later a she was fine till wednesday lunch

interesting you say this .. she is the only pup that got vaccinated with C5 rest where c3...would it react 5 days later a she was fine till wednesday lunch

...here you go...yes, it would...if she already responds to a C5 shot with those side effects, a C6 or C7 shot could have been life threatened. I would ask the vet to record it.

ETA: here an older thread: http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/55368-c5-vaccination-side-effects/

Edited by Willem

thank you very much i never even thought about that seeings as they were vaccinated 5 days earlier ... to think she would react so long after (if thats whats happened)

i worry now about doing the C5 vaccination at the 10 weeks ... as they are going into kennels april next would it be best to just do c3 and give her the booster a few weeks prior to the trip ?

I'd hold off another vaccination until 12 or 14 weeks for this pup, then give her the C5 combination - get the C3 shot and the intra-nasal for the KC components instead of all in one C5 shot.

I'm taking it as read that the dam of this litter was up to date with her immunisations, and thusly if all the pups got a good suck of colostrum when they were born, their maternal immunity should hold just fine until at least 12 weeks of age... the only reason pups get 2-3 shots is to cover any pups that didn't get that maternal immunity from the colostrum.

Vaccinosis is very real, and it occurs a lot more regularly here in Australia than anyone will admit... I'm tipping that your pup will be fine in a few days - just make sure she's drinking enough, and stays otherwise normal in other respects (playing and the like). Overall don't panic... she'll be fine!

If she reacts to the C3 and intra-nasal, then I'd seriously consider titre testing her for future immunity and only giving a C3 if the main 3 killers (Parvo, Distemper, and Hepatitis) drop to an ineffective level... at least you will be prepared for any reaction and have a plan to make her as comfortable as possible while she rides it out.

Oh... and we need photos of the subject of this conversation... you can't use the "P" word and not post photos!

T.

I'd hold off another vaccination until 12 or 14 weeks for this pup, then give her the C5 combination - get the C3 shot and the intra-nasal for the KC components instead of all in one C5 shot.

I'm taking it as read that the dam of this litter was up to date with her immunisations, and thusly if all the pups got a good suck of colostrum when they were born, their maternal immunity should hold just fine until at least 12 weeks of age... the only reason pups get 2-3 shots is to cover any pups that didn't get that maternal immunity from the colostrum.

Vaccinosis is very real, and it occurs a lot more regularly here in Australia than anyone will admit... I'm tipping that your pup will be fine in a few days - just make sure she's drinking enough, and stays otherwise normal in other respects (playing and the like). Overall don't panic... she'll be fine!

If she reacts to the C3 and intra-nasal, then I'd seriously consider titre testing her for future immunity and only giving a C3 if the main 3 killers (Parvo, Distemper, and Hepatitis) drop to an ineffective level... at least you will be prepared for any reaction and have a plan to make her as comfortable as possible while she rides it out.

Oh... and we need photos of the subject of this conversation... you can't use the "P" word and not post photos!

T.

that's (red) is not correct - the immunity they get from the mother (that's the one that fades out over approx. 16 weeks - depends on breed and individual dog) can prevent seroconversion of the vaccine, hence the multiple shots...which causes a hefty load for the immune system of the pup, hence some trends to vaccinate later (when the maternal immunity has faded) and less shots are required for seroconversion. (ETA: without the interference of the maternal immunity normally only one C3 shot is required to achieve life long immunity for parvo, distemper and hepatitis - if in doubt, it can be checked via a titer test).

wrt C5: there are at least 25 strains that can cause Kennel cough - the vaccine only covers 2 of them, last not even a year, plus it is not rated as a core vaccine, hence the benefit of this vaccination is questionable. I know some boarding kennels will ask for it, but why?....if your dog didn't get the shot and picks up Kennel cough from the kennel you obviously can't blame the kennel owner for it - if the dog is healthy and his immune system is not compromised by over-vaccination he will shake it off in 2-3 days.... IMO still better than the potential side effects of this vaccine.

Edited by Willem