Vaccicheck....looking For Interested Dog Owners

Willem

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GREAT NEWS!!!!

...first: all credit goes to skip who informed me about this vet in Russel Vale (a tad north of Wollongong).

I just had a chat with a very friendly vet who confirmed that they do the VacciCheck as a standard service, and she wasn't even shy to call the testing best practice!!!

The test itself cost AU$ 85 and comes with a yearly check that costs another AU$ 45 ...so in total AU$ 130 - for existing customers, who visit the clinic on a regular basis she even waives the check fee. Here the link to the clinic:

http://www.animalclinic.com.au/contact-us1.pml

She also mention that you have to wait 1-2 days for the results - the test itself only takes less than 30 minutes, but considering the daily traffic in a clinic I understand that this is something you want to do after the normal business hours so you can focus on it without getting disturbed by phone calls etc...

I will make my appointment in approx. 2 weeks when our dog is out of season...I already 'warned' her that she should be ready to order the next kit as there will be a higher demand for it in the next weeks.

For all the dog owners interested in the VacciCheck, but living around Nowra: she also mentioned that they cooperate with a vet in Nowra and that this vet offers the VacciCheck as a standard service too.

ETA: ...forgot to mention: you will receive a letter with the test results as an official document that can be used for e.g. dog clubs that request vaccinations respectively proof of immunity.

Edited by Willem

• 2 weeks later...

FYI I had a titre test done at my vet (Carter Rd Companion Animal Practice in Menai) for somewhere between $60-$80 (can't remember how much). Had the results back in a week. It didn't test for Hepatitis though, only Distemper and Parvo.

FYI I had a titre test done at my vet (Carter Rd Companion Animal Practice in Menai) for somewhere between $60-$80 (can't remember how much). Had the results back in a week. It didn't test for Hepatitis though, only Distemper and Parvo.

that's the advantage of the VacciCheck - it tests all the 3 core vaccines including the hepatitis in one go / one blood sample. I booked her in for tomorrow.

just got the test results for our appointment this morning emailed (they send it also via post, so you have an official genuine document):

12th October 2016

Pet's Name: xxxx

Pet's Microchip Number xxxxxxxx

D.O.B 6th December 2014

Owner Details: Mr xxxxxxx

To Whom It May Concern,

I, Dr Elizabeth Chmurycz, Registered Veterinary Surgeon of NSW, Registration

N5071, performed a ImmunoComb Canine VacciCheck on Xxxx on 12th October

The VacciCheck Antibody test is designed to determine dog serum antibody titre to

Infectious Canine Hepatitis, Canine Parvovirus and Canine Distemper Virus, and is

a test recommended by the World Small Animal Veterinary Association, in their

Vaccine Guidelines of 2010 and 2016.

This test can be used to determine the IgG titre before and following vaccination or

the duration of immunity. It is recommended to be done in puppies from 16 weeks

of age, and in adult dogs.

Xxxx's results are :

Canine Hepatitis S4 Positive

Canine Parvovirus >S6 High Positive

Canine Distemper >S5 - High Positive

Interpretation of results:

S0 Negative, S< 1 - Negative, S2 - Inadequate Immunity

Recommendation if S0, S<1 or S2 results vaccination is required.

S3 and S4 Positive, >S5 High Positive S6 High Positive

Recommendation if S3, S4, > S4, S5 or > S5 vaccination will be of no further benefit.

Follow Up Titre Test is recommended in THREE years as per the 2016 WSAVA

Vaccine guidelines.

Any questions, do not hesitate to contact me on 02 42 845988.

Please note, that there is no titre test available for Canine Respiratory disease

(otherwise known as Canine Cough), with annual vaccinations required in dogs

that require this protection.

Yours Sincerely

Dr Elizabeth (Liz) Chmurycz BVSc CMAVA N5071

Veterinarian

Russell Vale Animal Clinic

Note: these results have been achieved with only 2 shots! We got her with the first puppy shot while she was still with the breeder, the second shot was after approx. 24 weeks (so the window of susceptibility was likely totally closed). Every additional shot would have stressed her immune system unnecessarily, would have made the existing antibodies fight the vaccine and would have increased the risk of severe negative side effects significantly.

I have no doubt that this will become the new standard - it is already very common in GB, and it might take a while till every vet here will offer it, but you just can't ignore the health benefits for the dogs.

Cost have been AU$ 130, this included the VacciCheck and the yearly check. My plan is to do it on a yearly basis to monitor whether there are any changes over the time.

Thanks to Dr Liz and her team!

Eta:..spelling...

Edited by Willem

:thumbsup: Nice!!

My soon to be 11 y.o hasn't been vaccinated since she was 1, so 2 shots and a booster, and I'm pretty sure my 7 y.o only got her 2 puppy shots. Both showed high titres at last check, and have the entire way through. :D

That's terrific!

Now to try and convince my vet to go down that path....

just show him this thread - it won't take long till no vet can afford to ignore the benefits of this change in vaccination regime... go with the flow or loose your clients...

Gee I hope you're right Willem!

I'm sure - at the end they all have to earn their crust and rely on their clients. I could have visited one of the 2 vets were I live, but was happy to drive 40 kms to Liz's clinic to get what I think is the best for the health of my dog. Dog owners will follow or are doing already the same, it is a no brainer, not only will it save money in the long run, but it will also reduce the negative side effects of vaccinations (which can be sometimes life threatening!) to a minimum.

There is no need to vaccinate if the dog already has the wanted immunity! and the test allows to verify this for a reasonable price and requires only one blood sample.

Edited by Willem

quotes from Choice Article:

Why are vets not on board
?

It's been several years since the AVA recommend triennial vaccinations, but many vets continue to recommend annual vaccinations and pet owners are simply not being told about the new guidelines.

There are a couple of obstacles in the way of ensuring all Australian vets operate by the new guidelines.

Vaccine labelling – the Australian regulator, the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority, can't change vaccine labels to the new three-year recommendation without data being provided by the manufacturer to prove a longer duration of immunity (DOI). Manufacturers are only required to provide a minimum DOI. There is more on this issue below.

Self-regulation – the veterinary profession is self-regulated, and vets are not required to join the Australian Veterinary Association (AVA) or follow its guidelines.

There is also data to suggest some vets may be reluctant to make the change as it would impact their income. A vet industry survey in 2005 found "89% of veterinarians indicated that dog and cat vaccinations were the number one contributor to practice turnover, and 91% of vets felt that a change from annual vaccination would have an adverse effect on their practice turnover".

and

Guidelines for vaccinating your dog or cat

Maternal antibodies in a kitten or puppy are soon lost after birth. WSAVA recommends puppies and kittens are first vaccinated at 8–9 weeks of age, followed by a second vaccination 3-4 weeks later and a third given between 14 and 16 weeks, followed by a booster at one year.

WSAVA says 98% of core vaccinations given between 14 and 16 weeks will actually provide immunity for many years, and probably even for the life of the animal. So if the dog is already immune to the three core diseases, re-vaccinating will not provide any extra immunity.

After one year of age

Bring your pet to the vet every year for an annual health check. Discuss with your vet the most suitable vaccination regime for your pet.

If you're concerned that your pet may be vaccinated unnecessarily, ask to have antibody titre testing done. This will tell you if your pet is already immune. It can be done for all the core viruses for dogs and cats so ask your vet if they offer it.

To reduce the risk of tumours, feline adjuvanted vaccines should not be injected into your cat's back.

Don't be shy to ask questions, and get a second opinion if in doubt.

Report any unsatisfactory experiences to your state's veterinary practitioners' board.

If your pet has a negative reaction to any vaccination, such as a loss of appetite or a swollen face, contact your vet immediately and report the case to the APVMA on 1800 700 583

Primal paws offers titre testing. If there is enough interest I am happy to invest in vacci check. ATM due to the very low volume I have been sending them to Vetpath. I am in Sydney but travel so Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth + central coast and Newcastle.

Primal paws offers titre testing. If there is enough interest I am happy to invest in vacci check. ATM due to the very low volume I have been sending them to Vetpath. I am in Sydney but travel so Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth + central coast and Newcastle.

Put me down as interested, it will likely save me a trip to Wollongong. :thumbsup:

Just went to Dr Liz today and both my dogs are fine. Scored 4 and 5 for all three cores.

Great visit and even the blood collection from the neck went well. My chi can b hard to collect from which is why Dr Liz often uses the neck.

Jade got a pigs ear after so she approves.

Even better is that titre testing is recommended in three yes time. I believe this is OK too as I work in pathology and once IgG antibodies are formed they can judge this safe time.

So best thing I ever did!

I also had the heartworm shot. I had read that this wasn't good too and in USA it isn't approved. I checked with vet and she said in USA they used a proheart drug that lasted 6 months and had issues. Heartworm is a big problem in USA. Our Australian proheart is 12months and not the same as the 6month drug overseas. Went ahead with this injection because I am useless at remembering stuff.

Edited by skip