Debarking

Witsend

Does anyone know if there are any vets in Albury that debark dogs.... I have 2 Japanese spitz that are part of the family and have had past issues with neighbours sooking because ours dogs bark as I am sure all dogs do ....when you have a neighbour on one side that screams at them and on the other a neighbour who is constantly banging of course they are going to bark continuously. I seem to always pick the dogs with bad barking problems I have trained my dogs and have tried behaviourists and citronella collars etc nothing seems to work and we have spent thousands trying to alleviate the problem, so if anyone can tell me if there is anyone in the albury area that would be appreciated.

I think some vets will do it if there is a council order for the dogs to be PTS if they are not debarked?

I managed to train my dog to ignore the neighbour who yells at his barking dog. And the other neighbour who likes power tools and working on the car... and she's locked inside when I'm out.

It got a bit loud when a possum considered moving in but it moved out when I got the tree pruned away from the power lines. My dog spent a lot of time on lead in the back yard so she could not run down the back and yell at the possum. That helped a lot with her understanding about what is acceptable behaviour when it comes to possums.

And now we have a new neighbour with two boxers and I'm carefully explaining to my dog - she doesn't get to bark at them or bite their paws should they stick them under the fence (the puppy does this - he's not very bright).

This thread about debarking was on DOL in 2010. Scroll down to see a post from Trisven who names a particular vet in Albury who does the debarking procedure & who was also, at that time, an office-bearer with the area RSPCA. If the situation still is the same, that could be the information you want.

Albury is fortunately in NSW where the law is different from Victoria. But, check carefully, because a couple of years ago, a breeder resident in Victoria took some dogs over the border into NSW & had them debarked (legally according NSW law). Then found herself charged with not complying with the Victorian law. That post by Trisven alludes to that.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/196337-debarking-issues-again/

Edited by mita

.... I have trained my dogs and have tried behaviourists and citronella collars etc nothing seems to work and we have spent thousands trying to alleviate ...

Can only speak for experience in Victoria (I know that's not your question). We had to go that road, did everything 'by the book' which was very rigorous as I think it should be. Important that you keep all of those receipts, especially from qualified behaviourists, plus training receipts, vision prevention fencing, collars, medication if any. Plus all letters of complaint. Council required these to be able to allow procedure as last resort.

I'm in temporary accomodation with no doggie door at the moment. And because of the backyard configuration with a view to the front of the property Andy is barking a lot more. In the past I've been very careful to block off all views from the back yard and that has helped enormously. (Not possible in this house). So I've started leaving both Sarah and Andy inside. Haven't had any complaints and no reports from the mother who pops in from time to time and is pretty good at reporting excess barking.

Have you tried confine them in the backyard without outside views at all or keeping them inside? Might be easier to train them to 'hold' inside than to not bark outside. smile.gif

Edited by westiemum

I have 2 Japanese spitz that are part of the family and have had past issues with neighbours sooking because ours dogs bark as I am sure all dogs do

They are not sooking. Do you have any idea how annoying a constantly barking dog can be!!!

I concur. I also thought it was pretty poor form to say the neighbours are sooking!

Edited by Gruf

It's bloody annoying and i love dogs - i don't allow my own dogs to bark and have a neighbour who calls me at work to let me know if a foster dog is barking. I simply can't have it.

Yup. Scottie howls on occasion too. Its obe of the reasonsI send him to day care. At least i know 2 days a week hes not annoying the neighborhood

I have 2 Japanese spitz that are part of the family and have had past issues with neighbours sooking because ours dogs bark as I am sure all dogs do

They are not sooking. Do you have any idea how annoying a constantly barking dog can be!!!

Agree. And the neighbours who are screaming and banging are probably becoming demented because of the barking dogs or were they screaming and banging before the dogs arrived?

Edited because maybe I was being inappropriate: Of course all dogs bark sometimes and that is as it should be, but from my experience dogs who bark non-stop are distressed and it is stressful for people to listen to them, especially people who are tuned in to doggy behaviour. Some people don't notice dogs barking because they don't notice dogs. It doesn't mean the dogs don't bark.

Edited by sarspididious

I concur. I also thought it was pretty poor form to say the neighbours are sooking!

Whatever the neighbours are doing, the OP is trying to do something about the problem the dogs' barking is causing. I hope useful advice can be got from the Albury vet previously mentioned in an old DOL thread, re the position in relation to NSW law and also any implications if the OP actually lives on the Victorian side of the border.

We had a barking complaint about one of our GRs from a neighbour 2 doors up. The adjacent neighbours had no problems with the barking but did say she would bark occasionally. We were quite worried as the complaint came in the form of a nasty letter in the mailbox and when we spoke to the complainant to find out details and try to work it out he made veiled threats - as in "when he was a child people poisoned annoying dogs"

I found an app called Bark'n mad which I installed on my iPad which tapes the dogs when we go out. It has lots of features including some way you can tape your voice to speak to the dog. We only use the basic recording. We get a graph of the noise made and a recording you can play back. We record our dogs every time we go out. It has given us a lot of peace of mind. We did make changes so the offending dog could no longer see her triggers but it also reassured us she was not barking for long periods. We recently got a puppy and it also lets us know if she is crying when we are gone - we hear them rumbling at lot - and bashing in and out of the dog door - but no crying - yay!

If you did have a spurious complaint you can use the recording to play to Council. You can easily tell if it is not your dog barking, we have dogs barking all down our street and it is obvious who is who.

• Like 1

I do find it funny that people lodge complaints about dogs barking and roosters crowing. Yet I have nowhere to complain too when the cookoos are imprinting their chicks. the bastards keep it up 24/7 for weeks as their chicks are hatching. If you don't know it, cookoos lay their eggs in other birds nests. so they have eggs to imprint as they hatch all over the area and since they are laid over a period of weeks the ever present calls make sleeping neigh impossible

Whatever the neighbours are doing, the OP is trying to do something about the problem the dogs' barking is causing. I hope useful advice can be got from the Albury vet previously mentioned in an old DOL thread, re the position in relation to NSW law and also any implications if the OP actually lives on the Victorian side of the border.

its perfectly fine for the op or any other to live in victoria and have their dog debarked in nsw. it only becomes a problem if they wanted to show it. you cannot show a dog owned in victoria and debarked in another state.

as I understood what happened to that lady, if you live in another state, its perfectly legal to take your show dog to victoria that is debarked and show it. HOW INSANE IS THAT?

But then, depite the fact Australia is one country, none of the states share a common microchip data base. so find a lost pet or steal a pet in another state while on holiday, take it home, it will never be linked up to its true owners if it gets lost again unless the scanner finds it has also been entered in one of those non council data bases? silly as the days of the different guage railways

Edited by asal

We had a barking complaint about one of our GRs from a neighbour 2 doors up. The adjacent neighbours had no problems with the barking but did say she would bark occasionally. We were quite worried as the complaint came in the form of a nasty letter in the mailbox and when we spoke to the complainant to find out details and try to work it out he made veiled threats - as in "when he was a child people poisoned annoying dogs"

I found an app called Bark'n mad which I installed on my iPad which tapes the dogs when we go out. It has lots of features including some way you can tape your voice to speak to the dog. We only use the basic recording. We get a graph of the noise made and a recording you can play back. We record our dogs every time we go out. It has given us a lot of peace of mind. We did make changes so the offending dog could no longer see her triggers but it also reassured us she was not barking for long periods. We recently got a puppy and it also lets us know if she is crying when we are gone - we hear them rumbling at lot - and bashing in and out of the dog door - but no crying - yay!

If you did have a spurious complaint you can use the recording to play to Council. You can easily tell if it is not your dog barking, we have dogs barking all down our street and it is obvious who is who.

Thanks. That is really useful information. I've passed it on to the Tibbie community.

ADDED: It's sparked an interesting conversation about using that taped owner's voice function (combined with items with owner's scent) in cases of separation anxiety.

Also a Tibbie person mentioned a system if you want to add the visual:

I have a system called Arlo (can buy from office works, etc). Easy to set up, small cameras. Operated through an app on the phone. I have 5 cameras, two with microphones. I find it very handy with fosters, and also as I have an older girl who is sometimes unwell I find it gives me peace of mind.

Edited by mita

There's a vet in outer Canberra who does do the surgery Legally and Ethically. Sadly we hit the point of get one of our dogs done or PTS due to continual barking. No training nor collar got through to him, he still is a consistent barker but no noise which has helped everyone incredibly.

I actually had a letter from council that was warning us we had had a complaint put in by neighbors. I spoke to council about the issue, we were in the right and the council were just following up but I didn't want the problem escalating and neighbors taking matters into their own hands.

I had ours dond under GA a tiny incision was made (literally a one stitch incision) and the proceedure was done. Everything was over in under a few hours. Our boy is a much happier dog for it.

I certainly don't jump to this option but as a last resort its better than alot of negative alternatives.

Pm me if you'd like more specifics ect.