What Would You Do?

ellz

My 17 year old son has just started his apprenticeship as a Painter and Decorator.

Now my son isn't exactly a novice with dogs, but today he's had nothing but trouble with their client's dog. It's a large, fairly nondescript crossbred dog and has spent much of today alternatively "humping" my son's leg and getting narky with him and attempting to bite him when he tells it no and tries to stop it from acting up on him. At one stage, he and a fellow worker were carrying some heavy scaffolding and the dog went for his legs. Obviously it's an OH&S issue, I suggested that he speak to his boss and get him to ask them to keep the dog under control and away from the painters, but he's a bit worried about rocking the boat so early in his new job. I did suggest that if nothing else, maybe a quick call to Animal Control at the council might be appropriate, but he's really not wanting to create an issue.

The owner is apparently quite happy to let this happen and to allow the dog to wander at liberty while the painters are there. My son said that on the few occasions when the gate was shut, the dog spent much of it's time barking at anybody who walked past and getting quite worked up at other dogs walking past.

There hasn't been a serious bite attempt YET, but how far would you think it appropriate to let things go before some sort of action is taken?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The clients home is his workplace. What other workplace would staff being harassed by a potentially aggressive dog be tolerated? Except maybe a shelter or dog trainer etc, but even in that environment steps would be taken to minimise risk.

It's up to his boss to provide a safe work place. He needs to raise his concerns and he should expect his boss to try to act on them. If the worst should happen at the very least the concerns are out there and known.

I know it's a tough place to be in but everyone deserves a safe workplace.

As an after thought, is their an apprentice board or such that he can turn to for help or advice?

The poor kid it's a hard situation for him, but at the end of the day who is going to help him out if he is injured by a dog bite or work place accident due to trying to avoid a dog bite or because of a dog bite. Would his boss be liable? Maybe look at that angle. Boss surely wouldn't want to find himself in that position.

Can you arrange for a Worksafe Inspector to drop randomly in on the workplace? Your son doesn't need to know anything about it, so he won't feel that he has rocked the boat.

Or maybe what I think used to be called the Apprenticeship Commission of Tasmania, they might do random checks on the apprentices at work anyway? Could be worth a discreet phone call to ask whether they do. http://www.skills.tas.gov.au

ETA, snap! I realised Gruff had already suggested it! :)

Edited by LabTested

Is it only your son the dog is getting narky at, or is it all of the workers at the property? If it's everyone, It will probably become a big enough issue to be dealt with fairly quickly without your son kicking up a fuss if multiple tradespeople are getting harassed by the dog.

If it's just your son that the dog has taken a dislike to, perhaps just appease the dog (especially if it's a short-term project), and maybe bring it in a bone or long lasting chew if that's an option? at least that might keep it busy for a few hours a day?

I know that probably isn't the best long-term solution for the dog, but frankly that's not your son's concern. Being able to do his job without harassment is.

Get your son to have a quiet chat to his boss. my husband is a tradie with apprentices and going to workcover or the like is going way overboard and will cause a lot of heartache for all involved. trust me workcover and the like just don't pop into domestic worksites randomly and the boss will know someone has called them in.And if you call the council and they come out they have a complaint the dog is harassing the workers which will not make the home owner very happy with the trades onsite and rightfully so, if no one has advised them the dog is being a nuisance.

Edited by gsd114

It's a large, fairly nondescript crossbred dog and has spent much of today alternatively "humping" my son's leg and getting narky with him and attempting to bite him when he tells it no and tries to stop it from acting up on him.

I would not be telling a dog like that "no" and I would not be letting it hump my leg either. The way I deal with most dogs like that now is to grab their collar and hold them away from me - until they notice they can't get where they want to go, when they back off, I let them go to see what their choice is... More humping and I collar grab again. If it gets extreme... I have a spare lead in my bag and the dog would get tied up.

The other thing I would recommend trying is more subtle. Get some eucalyptus oil, mix it two drops to 200ml water in a misting bottle - and spray on clothes. It smells pretty nasty and would discourage the sniff before humping and probably the humping.

Definitely it's a safety problem for the dog as well as the workers. If they spill paint on the dog or someone gets tripped and falls on it - there's going to be problems for the dog too.

There are a few things he probably should do, but seeing doesn't feel comfortable about approaching anyone about it, what about slapping on some dencorub before work and/or throwing a dry treat for the dog every time it comes near him. This way the dog may still hang around but its intentions may be different.

so the dog won't want to touch him because of the smell, yet he will have a positive association with him from the treats.

If I was your son and feeling the way he does, I'd be befriending the dog. No, he shouldn't have to, but it might be the least confrontational option.

It's a large, fairly nondescript crossbred dog and has spent much of today alternatively "humping" my son's leg and getting narky with him and attempting to bite him when he tells it no and tries to stop it from acting up on him.

I would not be telling a dog like that "no" and I would not be letting it hump my leg either. The way I deal with most dogs like that now is to grab their collar and hold them away from me - until they notice they can't get where they want to go, when they back off, I let them go to see what their choice is... More humping and I collar grab again. If it gets extreme... I have a spare lead in my bag and the dog would get tied up.

The other thing I would recommend trying is more subtle. Get some eucalyptus oil, mix it two drops to 200ml water in a misting bottle - and spray on clothes. It smells pretty nasty and would discourage the sniff before humping and probably the humping.

Definitely it's a safety problem for the dog as well as the workers. If they spill paint on the dog or someone gets tripped and falls on it - there's going to be problems for the dog too.

I'd be careful trying a collar grab with a dog that has been narky with you. Quite a lot of dogs don't like it and if they haven't been conditioned to it, they may bite you just for trying to get their collar.

I'd be careful trying a collar grab with a dog that has been narky with you. Quite a lot of dogs don't like it and if they haven't been conditioned to it, they may bite you just for trying to get their collar.

second that - according to the OP the dog already tried to bite when the poor guy attempted to avoid the humping. While such behaviour can be just play, in this case it looks more like dominance behaviour, which is unacceptable towards a human...and dogs are pretty good in finding out (body language, smell) who is the weakest link in the group (this skill comes from the ancestors that had - and still have - to make the easiest kill and avoiding any risk of injuries to maintain the best chance of survival)- I assume the other colleagues don't get humped?...while this are tough times, and it might cost him his job, considering he is just 17 it is part of the learning - he should stand up, talk to his boss and if required should use aversives to defend himself from being humped (you wouldn't allow such behaviour from a colleague, so why would you accept it from a dog???)....

Once he made this decision for himself, it might be that the humping stops as the dog might recognize the changed body language / attitude. If his boss can't sort it out and arrange that the dog gets locked away or controlled by the owner he should be ready to defend himself...and a possible bite hurt less than constant humiliation in the long run.

ETA: depending on his physical strength and how familiar he is with 'wrestling' a dog, a pepper spray might be a subtile, but very effective alternative: http://www.wellingtonsurplus.com.au/listProduct/SECURITY/PEPPER+SPRAYS

Edited by Willem

Seriously... do none of the other workers see what's happening here? Surely they could back the poor kid up and let the boss know that the dog is being a nuisance. It's an accident waiting to happen.

I like the idea of befriending the dog if there is no way to keep it away from the workers... a nice pigs ear would keep it busy for a short while, and maybe the dog would then look at your son as a source of good things, rather than someone to dominate and potentially bite...

T.

Seriously... do none of the other workers see what's happening here? Surely they could back the poor kid up and let the boss know that the dog is being a nuisance. It's an accident waiting to happen.

I like the idea of befriending the dog if there is no way to keep it away from the workers... a nice pigs ear would keep it busy for a short while, and maybe the dog would then look at your son as a source of good things, rather than someone to dominate and potentially bite...

T.

if it is really dominance behaviour I doubt it will work...any attempts to 'make good friends' would just reinforce the established ranking...giving the treat would be like paying a ransom for not getting humped....

Sounds OK for a dog you know ..however with this description :

It's a large, fairly nondescript crossbred dog and has spent much of today alternatively "humping" my son's leg and getting narky with him and attempting to bite him

no way would I be trying that technique :(

Humping and nipping is dominant behaviour... make no mistake about it. The poor kid needs the dog to look at him as a friend, not as a victim to bully... and as it's not his dog, his options are pretty bloody limited.

He needs to either ask for the dog to be kept somewhere where it's not being a PIA, or he has to make himself a less interesting bullying target... simple as that.

T.