Arthritis/painkiller Meds Once A Day - Is It Best In Morning Or Evenin

Katdogs

Stevie's starting on Previcox for her stiff old legs. The vet gave me the tablets and all the warnings and said 'once per day' but I forgot to ask if it's better to give in the morning so she has a better day, or in the evening to help with getting out of bed in the morning? Or doesn't it matter?

She especially liked the instruction that she MUST eat before or with the tablet :laugh:

I liked a metacam & gabapentin combo (works really well together, same as previcox would) at night time after a supper, it seemed to improve movement in the morning. I don't think the stiffer dogs get to shift around at night like they would have so my logic was that it was a better night's sleep. laugh.gif

Fleming was on arthritis medication to be given every second day. I ended up giving it to him in the evening as he got up quite a burst of energy and I had time to take him for an actual walk if he wanted, and had more time to play with him. In the morning I just didn't have the time. Also I am home of an evening so I could keep an eye on him for any reactions etc.

All Zeddy had was Meloxicam of an evening before bedtime so that she had less trouble getting up in the mornings... and it was only needed if the overnight temperature was going to drop below 8 degrees... seems that was the magic number that made her stiff... *grin*

T.