Verifying Pedigree

xoxo

Is there any way I can verify a pedigree of a dog that I don't own?

Dogs vic wont help due to privacy rules.

I am also unable to register on the site as I am not a member of the ANKC.

Not sure what you mean by verify, do you suspect parentage or purity?

Nobody is a member of the ANKC, its members are the state canine controls, but purebred registered dogs in Australia are registered via their state body on the ANKC database...............Dogs Qld members have access to this database..........you could get a DQ member to search for the pedigree

If you suspect parentage, you collect all info you can and submit in writing to DQ in the first instance..........

Are you a Dogs Vic member? Did you breed the dog in question? Is someone claiming a dog you own is the parent when it's not?

I, for one, am glad Dogs Vic is not handing out info to just anyone.

I have ended up with a registered pedigree dog that was actually bred by a backyard breeder (encouraged by the owner of the prefix).

Its a pretty messed up situation...

I am just trying to gather more information about the line.

Not sure what you mean by verify, do you suspect parentage or purity?

Nobody is a member of the ANKC, its members are the state canine controls, but purebred registered dogs in Australia are registered via their state body on the ANKC database...............Dogs Qld members have access to this database..........you could get a DQ member to search for the pedigree

If you suspect parentage, you collect all info you can and submit in writing to DQ in the first instance..........

I am suspect about parents on one side but would also like to compare pedigrees of related dogs with information that I have found elsewhere.

Edited by 36d

Not for 'verifying', because they are not official sources, but if I just want to look at a pedigree I go to one of the online pedigree services for my breed. They are not without errors but they do well enough for research. Many breeds have them, I can think of 4 for my breed. Or for an Australian dog I might look at the breed profiles on dogz online if I didn't want to try and access the ANKC record.

Really verifying requires dna.

Edited by Diva

I have ended up with a registered pedigree dog that was actually bred by a backyard breeder (encouraged by the owner of the prefix).

This has me a little confused....if the dog was bred by a backyard breeder, then how could it be registered :confused:

This has me a little confused....if the dog was bred by a backyard breeder, then how could it be registered :confused:

Maybe it's not. Is that what the OP is trying to find out?

or because it's a BYB dog from registered stock, but not registered itself, they're just wanting more info on the lineage they know is there one generation back.

I wouldn't have thought it was that unusual. Bitch is bred by non-registered breeder owner and the puppies are registered under the prefix of the person that bred the bitch. Perhaps some breeders terms were also included.

This won't help with parentage, but your vet (or one in your location) should be able to do genetic testing, which will give you clarity of genetic make-up. It's not cheap though! Costs about $600 a pop here...

paying for that is a waste of money.

a lady had a purebred Australian Shepherd, paid for it to be dna tested. except there was a mixup and instead it was done for what breeds it was made up of. came back it had labrador, doberman, rottie an foget what else.

Australian Shepherds are a breed descended from some dogs that arrived in America with a shipload of australian sheep, hence their name.

parts of australia still keep and breed what they call German Coolies, no attempt has been done to my knowledge to get them accepted as an australian breed even though they have been a highly regarded sheepdog for over 100 or more years, they got their name from, have you guessed it? Arrived in australia with a shipment of sheep from Germany. I suspect it was some Coolies that came off that xhip in america with those sheep. Rotties or dobermans werent even created as a breed when the coolies landed here in oz .

and i am quite sure they never contributed to the makeup of either the coolie or the australian shepherd, those tests are designed for dogs of unknown parentage so no one can query their accuracy as to the results

Edited by asal

I wouldn't have thought it was that unusual. Bitch is bred by non-registered breeder owner and the puppies are registered under the prefix of the person that bred the bitch. Perhaps some breeders terms were also included.

Yes many breeders who are mentoring newbies do that. nothing unethical or against the law doing that. Hilton often would give out a bitch on breeding terms, provide the service and register the puppies under his prefix in return for pick of the litter. Many old time breeders did that. started many a newbie into the world of pedigree dogs.

This won't help with parentage, but your vet (or one in your location) should be able to do genetic testing, which will give you clarity of genetic make-up. It's not cheap though! Costs about $600 a pop here...

paying for that is a waste of money.

a lady had a purebred Australian Shepherd, paid for it to be dna tested. except there was a mixup and instead it was done for what breeds it was made up of. came back it had labrador, doberman, rottie an foget what else.

Australian Shepherds are a breed descended from some dogs that arrived in America with a shipload of australian sheep, hence their name.

parts of australia still keep and breed what they call German Coolies, no attempt has been done to my knowledge to get them accepted as an australian breed even though they have been a highly regarded sheepdog for over 100 or more years, they got their name from, have you guessed it? Arrived in australia with a shipment of sheep from Germany. I suspect it was some Coolies that came off that xhip in america with those sheep. Rotties or dobermans werent even created as a breed when the coolies landed here in oz .

and i am quite sure they never contributed to the makeup of either the coolie or the australian shepherd, those tests are designed for dogs of unknown parentage so no one can query their accuracy as to the results

I hear people say this quite a bit, but it's not my experience. That one example from who knows what lab doesn't make a rule. The lab my vet uses is very reputable and provides a very comprehensive report along with a breakdown of the identification has happened. The testing is just as useful, and reliable as genetic testing for disease prevalence.

You could try a breed club for the breed if there is one. They may have records in some form, maybe Year Books or similar.

Edited by Airedaler

I've been wondering if the dog (I assume it was a bitch) was sold or leased on breeders terms? Why else would anyone let someone use their prefix?

I've been wondering if the dog (I assume it was a bitch) was sold or leased on breeders terms? Why else would anyone let someone use their prefix?

Breeders allow people use their prefix to breed dogs they have bred all the time and as numbers get more limited in how many a breeder can keep at their own home it will become more common

Some do it formally via contract and call it a guardian home others simply agree that they will do it because the bitch is worthy and the process is either closely supervised or controlled by the breeder and the owner doesn't want to go to the whole process of becoming a member etc.

In NSW these days its becoming even more common because there is an 18 month waiting period after you join DogsNSW, you have to do a course and be inspected before you can get a prefix - rather silly if all you want to do is have one litter because of an agreement you have with the breeder.

If the dog is registered there is a registered pedigree which for everyone else is all that's required to prove parentage unless there is something stand out to make you question it.

If it is questioned a complaint can be lodged with the state CC and they can order DNA tests for parentage.

By being a member and accessing the pedigrees online wont tell her any more than what the pedigree tells her that is provided on the pedigree in fact there is less info provided online nor will any info someone at Vicdogs might give her because they have no access to anything other than the pedigree.

If she has a registered pedigreed dog and doesnt have a pedigree then whoever took responsibility for registering it and allowing their prefix to be used is held responsible and must provide a pedigree or answer to the state's CC.