Verifying Pedigree

xoxo

Thanks Steve. Basically what I would broadly consider breeders terms :)

Years ago I sold a puppy which was on limited papers to a great couple. I became great mates with them and they told me they were sorry they had purchased their dog on limited as they would love to have a litter from her.

I took a long long look at her ,knew her lines so I knew I would have bred her if Id kept her so I agreed to upgrade her papers and allow them to have a litter. She was still registered in my name on the DogsNSW system.

They didn't think they wanted any more than one litter so to me it made no sense for them to go through it all when I was helping them so I registered the litter in my prefix as if I still owned her.

They decided they enjoyed the process and then joined DogsNSW and these days they breed and show and love the whole experience.

I got nothing out of it except a good feeling that Id had the opportunity to help someone get started.

Ive no doubt that some wouldn't agree with me but I love seeing new breeders come in and it was sort of like a trial run for them before they paid out a stack of money and had a go of it on their own.

I would also like to say. These days the public and sadly some breeders are educated by animal rights and a variety of other 'experts" and have expectations and a narrow view of how it all should be done so if a breeder seems to be stepping outside of that they start to worry.

Since unless you live in an apartment with no yard everyone is potentially eligible for the moniker

I would also like to say. These days the public and sadly some breeders are educated by animal rights and a variety of other 'experts" and have expectations and a narrow view of how it all should be done so if a breeder seems to be stepping outside of that they start to worry.

looks like the OP has not bothered to come back, its sad how things have changed so much, people want a puppy but unless they buy it from a rescue, they automatically think the worst if they cant find one in rescue and stoop to phone a breeder, if you bred it, your suspect because thanks to AR everyone is viewed as a backyarder and or puppy farmer now.

I remember when the term 'backyard breeder' began to be used as an insulting description, asked then, since everyone has a backyard, do you realise you are all eligible to be called that?

Fell on deaf ears

i think one of the biggest issues facing domestic dogs is the loss of being able to look at ANY dog with a critical eye and recognise its virtues and its faults. No matter it's type, it's breeding, who bred it and where.

While pedigree and puirty and breeds are the primary focus, much is lost from the domestic dog in general.

Perhaps the loss of purpose is the biggest game changer in the last 100 -150 yrs. Most of today's recognised breeds were blended from dogs chosen as fit for whatever purpose, and refined and stabilised into breeds fit for purpose. Then purpose started to disappear and the focus turned to retaining breeds by purity pedigree and for conformation showing.

Now we are grasping on to purity and pedigree to the detriment of domestic dogs in general in my opinion. While I loathe the commercial scale and environment of mixed breed puppy factories, I truly believe what we are seeing is the contemporary version of blending dogs for modern purpose.

I am not saying we shouldn't try to retain breeds we have, but I lose hope for the domestic dog in general when the pedigree breeders get so up in arms about the possibility of making contemporary breeds and accepting a bit of change.

History tells us that the domestic dog population changes to suit the times. We need to let it happen. I for one am excited by the prospect.

• 2 weeks later...

i think one of the biggest issues facing domestic dogs is the loss of being able to look at ANY dog with a critical eye and recognise its virtues and its faults. No matter it's type, it's breeding, who bred it and where.

While pedigree and puirty and breeds are the primary focus, much is lost from the domestic dog in general.

Perhaps the loss of purpose is the biggest game changer in the last 100 -150 yrs. Most of today's recognised breeds were blended from dogs chosen as fit for whatever purpose, and refined and stabilised into breeds fit for purpose. Then purpose started to disappear and the focus turned to retaining breeds by purity pedigree and for conformation showing.

Now we are grasping on to purity and pedigree to the detriment of domestic dogs in general in my opinion. While I loathe the commercial scale and environment of mixed breed puppy factories, I truly believe what we are seeing is the contemporary version of blending dogs for modern purpose.

I am not saying we shouldn't try to retain breeds we have, but I lose hope for the domestic dog in general when the pedigree breeders get so up in arms about the possibility of making contemporary breeds and accepting a bit of change.

History tells us that the domestic dog population changes to suit the times. We need to let it happen. I for one am excited by the prospect.

I remember a thread on here a while back where I was pilloried for suggesting that we as breeders don't have a fundamental right to pontificate to folks about mix breeding. I maintain my position. There is a very nice couple over here who breed Bull Terrier cross Staffords and are very responsible, caring and ethical in their approach. Similarly there are plenty of unscrupulous, unethical, and uncaring pedigree breeders around...

I have a mixed breed dog boarding here for the rescue at the moment. I don't know what breed she is (if I had to guess it would be Amstaff cross Cattle Dog). Honestly she is the most beautiful girl and absolutely loves people and other dogs. Would make a wonderful family pet for those that don't fuss too much over pedigree.