Do You Restrain/contain Your Dog If You Have A Stranger Entering Your

Pailin

I am just wondering if I am the only person who makes sure that my dog cannot interact with strangers coming onto my property, especially in the way of meter readers/ tradies etc.

The news article about that poor tradie getting attacked by the three AST's has me wondering. In addition to that my sister recently had an open home where one of her neighbours attended and asked the real estate agent to come back to her house for an evaluation. The real estate agent went over and in the process of looking around the house with the owner she was bitten quite badly by one of their French Mastiffs. The poor woman was terrified. It bit her on her back/butt... I just don't understand how giving dogs unfettered access to strangers, who are in the dogs territory, is a good idea.

I trust my girl, but I don't trust people I don't know and in circumstances I could never begin to predict. She gets shut away if someone is coming in.

Edited by Pailin

Dozer is always restrained for new visitors, kids or tradies..

He's a big dog who doesn't know his own strength and looks quite scary. Added to that is he likes to "talk" to people and that alone can be quite scary if you don't know how to interpret his barks.

He's pretty friendly though, but in the past if we're not home he has let meter readers into the yard of one of our old houses (a neighbor told us about that, I was surprised!), but if we're home he barks and carries on like the most ferocious terror until the person is invited into the house and then he just wants cuddles.

We're pretty lucky in that we have a fully fenced patio area where we can lock dozer in the yard or confined to the patio. It does come in handy for tradies and the like.

Guest crazydoglady99

Always. If I am expecting ANYONE at my house my dog is either on a leash with me, or chewing a lovely big bone in the garden.

I would never allow anyone at my home without my dog being restrained safely away from them or with me.

I need to protect her even more than the visitor!

My staffy I didn't lock up, but supervised very closely. He was extremely obedient. We had a Telstra guy come by once to fix phone problem. I was in the shower when he arrived (he was early) and apparently Sam lifted a lip at him and he wasn't game to come in. Fair enough. Phone guy wasn't too keen on dog when he came in, but by the end of his visit he was well and truly charmed and thought he was an amazing dog. Which of course he was :D

The current dogs have separate routines. Westie pup gets a harness and restrained until he calms down and stops jumping. Cocker is obedient. If need be, she goes in her crate and I close the door, but generally she'll stay where I put her.

With all dogs, if people are going in and out, I put them where they can "supervise" but not get out or interact. I don't want my animals on the road.

I had a friend who was petrified of dogs and she loved my staffy. She knew him from a pup and thought no dog ever compared to him.

I do. I must confess to amazement and bewilderment when I encounter situations where people don't. And these people usually have the worst behaved dogs. See my thread "What would you do?" for another difficult situation with people/dogs.

Scottie is always away for tradies - removed from the property if I can't be there.

The girl who has been doing my nails has 2 big dogs - baby gated away. Her dobe girl growled as I went in today. I did think "F Me I hope that baby gate holds up"

Jesse wanst to jump on and lick everyone and Jonah wants to protect his patch and me so if its a tradie or a stranger picking something up they stay in the house or the back yard depending on what access is needed. I did have a pizza guy walk in one night despite me writing a warning on the order. Luckily Jonah was so surprised to see him near the front door when I opened it that he ran straight past to the gate and when he came back I was able to grab him. Needless to say the pizza guy got crapped on from a great height.

Mine are contained, even though they are only small dogs, unless they know the person like my handyman for instance but when he's out doing the garden - mowing, whipper snipping and so on, they are locked inside so there are no accidents. Personally i think it is the responsible thing to do, no matter what the dog's like. I love my dogs but i don't expect everyone else to feel the same way.

Edited by Her Majesty Dogmad

Mine are contained, even though they are only small dogs, unless they know the person like my handyman for instance but when he's out doing the garden - mowing, whipper snipping and so on, they are locked inside so there are no accidents. Personally i think it is the responsible thing to do, no matter what the dog's like. I love my dogs but i don't expect everyone else to feel the same way.

Scottie is small - but will take any opportunity to "self walk" - it's really for my own sanity than anything else.

Before any tradie enters my house I ask if they're OK with dogs. If they say no then he goes behind a baby gate. If they are, I don't put him away but I am always there.

He generally stays out of their way but if they give him a good pat (these are normally the dog owners themselves) then they've made a new friend.

I do make a point though that they certainly would not get the same dog if no one was home. Which is why no one gets into the house if someone is not home.

Our old dobie wasn't happy at their arrival, but once in the door was happy to watch whatever they did. I'm sure she had the ability to change a waterpump in a dishwasher, she watched every move so intently. Young dobe is either crated, behind the baby gate, or popped on the back deck. She's not as interested in learning new skills!

Mine are always contained if tradies come over, mine are very friendly but sometimes overly so :laugh:. Also tradies tend to leave gates and doors opened.

My tibbies' security is my priority re strangers/tradies coming in to the property. Not all people are dog-security conscious.

We have high side gates to keep the back area where they're kept as secure as possible. In the past there were 2 incidents where tradies came back to collect or drop in tools (& I didn't know it), and they managed to leave 3 gates open. One tibbie took herself off to attend a meeting at the real estate office over the road. The other time, the two tibbies turned up scratching on the door of a day-care mum down the road... they wanted to join the children.

When I know strangers are there, I gauge what their attitude & experience are with dogs. If they're dog people, it always starts with them asking about their breed... & best of all... talking about their own dogs. Tibbies seem to have the knack of looking for attention at first... & then retiring to their nearby day-beds to watch proceedings. Bit cat-like that way.

Edited by mita

Not only is the dog locked up, I refuse to have anyone over if I'm not there. I don't trust anyone not to let the cats escape. I had a tradie turn up unexpectedly when I wasn't home. He rang me and said he wasn't game to go into the back yard because one of my dogs was growling at him.Turns out scrawny geriatric Shibas are terrifying to grown men. :D (actually I was shocked, I didn't think Loki had it in him :o )

No one is in danger when Chloe is on duty, but she has been known to sit on tradies or stand in front of them showing them where their tools are.

So yes ,unless we want them sniffed and licked, we keep her away from visitors who are here to work.

☺️☺️

She's no good at the front door either and has been known to make a break for freedom and run out. She's no idea what to do once free though and only makes it next door.

She doesn't bark at strangers - only will bark at us, to remind us to fed her, let her up/down stairs.