What Could It Be?

Stitch

1475445369[/url]' post='6848009']
1475444950[/url]' post='6848008']

Metronidazole is not just used as a AB. It has other uses such as treating stomach inflammation. I use it to help reduce toxins in my dog's blood. She has been on it for about 5 years now. I've also used it to treat IBD/pancreatitis in a cat.

it is definitely not a probiotic...and a softer poo at night time (after a sleep the poo is mostly a little bit softer as there is less compaction due to muscle usage) is nothing that point to digestion issues in the first place. Dogs get older, metabolism can change and so the periods between poo ime...

What does this mean? Usage of which muscles influence poo softness?

for most people (and dogs ...) sports or another activity where they use their core muscles (stomach / back) will result in 'compacting' the intestines, plus there is the impact of a more efficient metabolism due to a higher energy demand - both will normally result in a firmer stool. Conversely, the poo is likely less firm after a rest / sleep phase when the body relaxed for a longer period - of course, it will also depend on the health state of the organism, fitness level and the type and amount of food.

I don't agree with this at all! Exercise keeps me regular - the doggies too! Too much inactivity gives rise to a sluggish bowel and constipation.

Oh please...of course Metrozine isn't a probiotic and the problem was not related to exercise, poor feeding regimes or muscle control.

In hindsight it is now easy to see that it was a 'stomach bug' ..... what kind I don't know but it must have been picked up when we went to a dog show.

The course of Metrozine quickly and completely brought things back to normal. I know when a dog is sick and needs attention.

and for those who are interested Metrozine ie. Metronidazole is used to treat protozoal infections in dogs and cats including Giardia, Entamoeba, Trichomonas and Balantidium. It also is used to treat anaerobic bacterial infections. Metronidazole has immune modulating activity and may be prescribed to treat inflammatory bowel disease. It may be used to treat colitis caused by other antibiotics, periodontal disease (especially in cats), Clostridium perfringens enterotoxemia, tetanus, diarrhoea of undetermined cause, pancreatic insufficiency (with small-intestinal bacterial overgrowth) and complications of severe liver disease.

Metronidazole may be used with corticosteroids to treat inflammatory bowel disease or gum disease (gingivitis/stomatitis) in cats. Topical metronidazole gel is used to treat skin infections, such as feline chin acne.

It can also be used long term in certain cases.

Oh please...of course Metrozine isn't a probiotic and the problem was not related to exercise, poor feeding regimes or muscle control.

In hindsight it is now easy to see that it was a 'stomach bug' ..... what kind I don't know but it must have been picked up when we went to a dog show.

The course of Metrozine quickly and completely brought things back to normal. I know when a dog is sick and needs attention.

and for those who are interested Metrozine ie. Metronidazole is used to treat protozoal infections in dogs and cats including Giardia, Entamoeba, Trichomonas and Balantidium. It also is used to treat anaerobic bacterial infections. Metronidazole has immune modulating activity and may be prescribed to treat inflammatory bowel disease. It may be used to treat colitis caused by other antibiotics, periodontal disease (especially in cats), Clostridium perfringens enterotoxemia, tetanus, diarrhoea of undetermined cause, pancreatic insufficiency (with small-intestinal bacterial overgrowth) and complications of severe liver disease.

Metronidazole may be used with corticosteroids to treat inflammatory bowel disease or gum disease (gingivitis/stomatitis) in cats. Topical metronidazole gel is used to treat skin infections, such as feline chin acne.

It can also be used long term in certain cases.

indeed, I read through all the posts again and yes, how could there have been ever any doubt with all the clear evidence....

1475497034[/url]' post='6848138']
1475494303[/url]' post='6848134']

Metronidazole is not just used as a AB. It has other uses such as treating stomach inflammation. I use it to help reduce toxins in my dog's blood. She has been on it for about 5 years now. I've also used it to treat IBD/pancreatitis in a cat.

it is definitely not a probiotic...and a softer poo at night time (after a sleep the poo is mostly a little bit softer as there is less compaction due to muscle usage) is nothing that point to digestion issues in the first place. Dogs get older, metabolism can change and so the periods between poo ime...

for most people (and dogs ...) sports or another activity where they use their core muscles (stomach / back) will result in 'compacting' the intestines, plus there is the impact of a more efficient metabolism due to a higher energy demand - both will normally result in a firmer stool. Conversely, the poo is likely less firm after a rest / sleep phase when the body relaxed for a longer period - of course, it will also depend on the health state of the organism, fitness level and the type and amount of food.

Ok, I was wondering if that is what you meant. Thanks for clarifying. Just so you know that is incorrect. Skeletal muscle plays no role in compaction of bowel contents.

And metronidazole is an anti-protozoal too. It's use would be indicated in this case.

Ok, I was wondering if that is what you meant. Thanks for clarifying. Just so you know that is incorrect. Skeletal muscle plays no role in compaction of bowel contents.

And metronidazole is an anti-protozoal too. It's use would be indicated in this case.

think it over next time you sit on your toilet...

1475663596[/url]' post='6848474']
1475661250[/url]' post='6848461']

Valsalva manoeuvre does not equate to skeletal muscle firming the stool.

Edited by Whiskered

I wasn't referring to holding your breath because your poo is smelly - it was more about the muscles usage / control while you pee and poo; there are even specific pelvic floor muscle exercises to strengthen those muscles that doctors might recommend in case of incontinence etc.

...sorry for getting off-topic.

1475672718[/url]' post='6848520']
1475665207[/url]' post='6848483']

I wasn't referring to holding your breath because your poo is smelly - it was more about the muscles usage / control while you pee and poo; there are even specific pelvic floor muscle exercises to strengthen those muscles that doctors might recommend in case of incontinence etc.

...sorry for getting off-topic.

Valsalva manoeuvre is not the same as breath-holding and has nothing to do with faecal odour. Anyway, input was to address statement; use of stomach and back muscles results in compacting of intestines resulting in firmer stool. People use this forum as a legitimate resource in sourcing dog husbandry advice. We should at least provide accurate information.