What Could It Be?

Stitch

One of mine is having a problem that I haven't struck before.

He is crated overnight (which he loves) and up till a few weeks ago he was absolutely perfect overnight.

Approx. 1mth ago he was injured and required a course of antibiotics.

Recently he has been waking me up through the night to go outside to poo...something he never did before.

It is not every night and doesn't seem related to what he has eaten which is 1/2 cup of Meals for Mutts in the morning and BARF in the evening.

I am thinking it might be related to a lack of flora in the gut but he does not have diarrhoea.

Stools are a little soft but relatively well formed.

If it is related to the gut flora being diminished by the antibiotics what is the best probiotic?

I have used Protexin on other dogs in the past but never really thought much of it.

Maybe human probiotics might be better?

Anyone have any thoughts on what it might be?

Guest crazydoglady99

Re the probiotics - perhaps look into milk kefir? It has some crazy amount of live probiotic strains 50+, you can buy it from health food stores.

Re the actual problem - my thought was gut flora also.

Good luck - I hope you figure it out.

It may very well not be a lack of gut flora. It is strange that it is totally random..the wanting to poo overnight I mean.

I would have thought that a tummy bug would be a continuous thing, not wait three days then occur then wait a few days then occur again overnight.

It's not like I am feeding anything different.

It may very well not be a lack of gut flora. It is strange that it is totally random..the wanting to poo overnight I mean.

I would have thought that a tummy bug would be a continuous thing, not wait three days then occur then wait a few days then occur again overnight.

It's not like I am feeding anything different.

If it was a month between the original gastric upset and the first night poo, then I would not assume that they were related (depending upon how long the course of antibiotics was).I would be making a vet appointment and taking a sample of the soft poo.

Meanwhile, any yoghurt containing bifidus culture will assist in repopulating gut culture in canines. It won't be as fast as Protexin but it will work.

I don't know why I bother to go to vets sometimes.

Went yesterday and took a poo sample and vet said there was nothing untoward in it.

Came away not knowing any more than when I went there.

Good news then no giardia or anything. Did vet give you any explanation for the weird toileting changes?

No he didn't! I find that many vets are just happy processing the easy options and lack either imagination or interest in problem solving.

Over the years I have solved more dog problems myself and with the help of friends than I care to remember.

Are you in an area where you can easily try another vet? If so, I would. Plus I would go through all the things that are concerning you and demand an opinion on each of them. Vets are human and some of them have no patience OR imagination. if it is out of the ordinary, it doesn't happen. Sigh.

Yes, another vet...got Metrozine (which I suggested)....no more diarrhoea so far! :crossfingers:

I'm glad you got some response. Did the second vet suggest a time limit/ limited course for the medication? Treating a symptom while not knowing the cause is only effective in the short term, as, of course, you know.

Keep pumping the probiotics in, fingers crossed that stabilising the gut flora will cause a return to normality. It is irritating not to be able to pinpoint a cause, though.

Yes, another vet...got Metrozine (which I suggested)....no more diarrhoea so far! :crossfingers:

WOW!....that will 'help' wrt your concerns mentioned in post #1 - why would you give a dog AB when all he does is a normal poo (not running) in the nighttime? ...ABs shouldn't be given lightly.

Metronidazole is not just used as a AB. It has other uses such as treating stomach inflammation. I use it to help reduce toxins in my dog's blood. She has been on it for about 5 years now. I've also used it to treat IBD/pancreatitis in a cat.

Metronidazole is not just used as a AB. It has other uses such as treating stomach inflammation. I use it to help reduce toxins in my dog's blood. She has been on it for about 5 years now. I've also used it to treat IBD/pancreatitis in a cat.

it is definitely not a probiotic...and a softer poo at night time (after a sleep the poo is mostly a little bit softer as there is less compaction due to muscle usage) is nothing that point to digestion issues in the first place. Dogs get older, metabolism can change and so the periods between poo ime...

it is definitely not a probiotic...and a softer poo at night time (after a sleep the poo is mostly a little bit softer as there is less compaction due to muscle usage) is nothing that point to digestion issues in the first place. Dogs get older, metabolism can change and so the periods between poo ime...

Were did I say it was a probiotic?

Were did I say it was a probiotic?

not you - in the first post concerns have been raised whether previous administered ABs could be the cause for the changed poo pattern, and whether giving probiotics could help. (It is actually a myth that 'probiotics' can replace the good flora destroyed by ABs - what they do is that they can help bridging the time till the organism hopefully builds up the good flora again. If the organism can't build up a healthy flora, in the meanwhile they also do 'poo transplants' for humans - I guess a dog just eats poo from other dogs with the same results).

1475445369[/url]' post='6848009']
1475444950[/url]' post='6848008']

What does this mean? Usage of which muscles influence poo softness?

1475445369[/url]' post='6848009']
1475444950[/url]' post='6848008']

What does this mean? Usage of which muscles influence poo softness?

for most people (and dogs ...) sports or another activity where they use their core muscles (stomach / back) will result in 'compacting' the intestines, plus there is the impact of a more efficient metabolism due to a higher energy demand - both will normally result in a firmer stool. Conversely, the poo is likely less firm after a rest / sleep phase when the body relaxed for a longer period - of course, it will also depend on the health state of the organism, fitness level and the type and amount of food.