Dna Testing

Scottsmum

I saw that! I've been considering getting an Embark but it's quite a bit of $. I really like how they keep your dog's results on hand and compare it to future databases/updates etc.

I also like that embark lets you know what genetic condition markers are in your dog - the wisdom panel doesn't let you know that, just tells you "these breeds a predisposed to X $50 to find out if your dog has it"

Considering they're just genetic markers not banking on that, so like that embark just goes ahead and runs your dog's DNA against the database.

I'll probably get it in the next year or so. Then compare it to the widsom test haha, see if there's any overlap on the potential breed types in the dog.

I saw that! I've been considering getting an Embark but it's quite a bit of $. I really like how they keep your dog's results on hand and compare it to future databases/updates etc.

I also like that embark lets you know what genetic condition markers are in your dog - the wisdom panel doesn't let you know that, just tells you "these breeds a predisposed to X $50 to find out if your dog has it"

Considering they're just genetic markers not banking on that, so like that embark just goes ahead and runs your dog's DNA against the database.

I'll probably get it in the next year or so. Then compare it to the widsom test haha, see if there's any overlap on the potential breed types in the dog.

I think if I was still on "sydney money" I'd have had it done already for a LOL. But I have seen some results (I have since lost them) for another dog which, in my own opinion, were complete shit. So .... I dunno....I do like the idea of adding to the database :)

Come on, share, how shit? :provoke:

My favourite bit of the wisdom test for us was "Boston Terrier". I'm generalising that to some evidence of a "bully type" in her XD

I want to know what the embark will give us, considering how few australian breeds on it (but hey it has catahoula so you never know!)

• 3 weeks later...

LOL. Sas - I just saw your post. As a dedicated member of the LM fan club I apologise for my tardy response.

It's um... very accurate :) *giggle*

Nah - in all seriousness, thanks for sharing. It would be interesting to see if they could get a more accurate read 4 years on.

I thought this was a good read on the topic Dog breed genetic tests put to the test: Science is solid but results aren’t precise

I've seen a few come back with having high % of a rare (in NZ) breed in what looks like a bully breed mix dog, like Italian greyhound, Catahoula Leopard Dog, Chesapeake Bay Retriever for example

Yup. Wish I hadn't deleted the file I saw - it was not long after I moved to NZ and I remember thinking - I'd be surprised if there are many of "that breed" in NZ - and I'll eat a hat if they're contributing to the mutt gene pool... if you know what I mean. Can't for the life of me remember what it was now... LOL

I prefer to spend my money on genetic testing for genes like pra and such

since there is no breed test for humans, we all come back homo sapiens,only locality parameters for populations, I really find it a stretch of the imagination there is a valid one for dog breeds

http://www.familytreemagazine.com/article/dna-fact-or-science-fiction

Edited by asal

I prefer to spend my money on genetic testing for genes like pra and such

since there is no breed test for humans, we all come back homo sapiens,only locality parameters for populations, I really find it a stretch of the imagination there is a valid one for dog breeds

http://www.familytreemagazine.com/article/dna-fact-or-science-fiction

I get what you're saying - but... like knowing where I've come from and as I age I get increasingly sad that I don't know my family history beyond a generation or so.

While I'm not trying to humanise dogs (I can't think of the right word at the moment) I feel the same way in some respects - if I had a mutt who was very questionable I'd do it. I'd do it for Scottie if I was still earning "sydney wages".

A family member recently had her dog tested - she'd been advertised as Golden Retriever - (no papers, private re-home, being sold as she wastoo much dog for this sydney family at the age of 7 months) - as she grew she wasn't "quite right" DNA indicated she wasn't 100% golden (which was obvious) - and they named the breed other they suspected she was. Straight up Golden x Maremma. Makes no difference to the owners, they still love her - and she's much happier on a property with fences to patrol and chickens to protect.

But all in all - I think it's a nice to know / for a laugh - I'd have to have spare money for it (not likely these days).

There are various genealogical tests you can do scottsmum! Similar to the dog DNA tests, they select some of your genetic markers and compare the results to other known individuals and populations. Same as the dog, they're not for medical reasons - just curiosity about genealogical background. There's lots of different types and most give a nifty breakdown by ethnicity and region similarities.

I've always wanted to do the mitochondrial one like Ernie did in DNA nation. DNA nation was an interesting 3 part documentary on genealogical history. Well worth the watch!

There are various genealogical tests you can do scottsmum! Similar to the dog DNA tests, they select some of your genetic markers and compare the results to other known individuals and populations. Same as the dog, they're not for medical reasons - just curiosity about genealogical background. There's lots of different types and most give a nifty breakdown by ethnicity and region similarities.

I've always wanted to do the mitochondrial one like Ernie did in DNA nation. DNA nation was an interesting 3 part documentary on genealogical history. Well worth the watch!

:offtopic: Nah - I kinda know - but you know the un-testable stuff - like my mums Grandmothers name...

:offtopic: Nah - I kinda know - but you know the un-testable stuff - like my mums Grandmothers name...

:(:hug: It could be beneficial in narrowing down an area you share close genes with (so could hypothetically go visiting with old photos, memories, names, stories and see if anyone recognises them - but a bit of a financial and time sink it would be with no guarantee of an answer!)

Here, to tweak it back on topic a bit. It's nice to know what genetic markers your dog shares in common with labelled breeds and types. DNA is so important and tells a lot about a dog. I'm honestly impressed with how close they can get to the types of dogs with the DNA tests, it's on par with saying "this person has genetic markers for blond hair, long legs" etc! And it's cool because there's parentage, health testing, breed typing, hidden genetic traits (cryptic merles!), ensuring genetic diversity and so many more I can't think off the top of my head.

And it's such a young bit of science too! Only about 10 years old, it's going to be great watching it expand and grow. It's why I want the embark so much, because unlike Wisdom Panel it's a "living" DNA test that will update with new research and discoveries! Unlike Wisdom which doesn't seem to have changed from 5 years ago (grumpy face), but it is a bit of fun. If only embark had been advertised well enough that I saw them and not the wisdom!

Like this cool article that popped up on facebook a few weeks ago:

Individual assignment using microsatellite DNA reveals unambiguous breed identification in the domestic dog

Individual assignment tests using a Bayesian statistical approach, an allele frequency based method, and a DCE genetic distance based method were all extremely powerful. Most strikingly, the Bayesian method provided 100% assignment success of individuals into their correct breeds of origin and 100% exclusion success of individuals from all alternate reference populations with a high level of statistical confidence (P < 0.0001).

Refining successful methods to detect breeds and types accurately! I hope Embark incorporates this method for further research, or has it as an option :)

*breathes*

I like genetics and DNA ;)

Edited by Thistle the dog

• 3 weeks later...

A friend recently adopted a puppy of unknown background and had a DNA test done. Sharing results with permission.

post-51207-0-06856200-1478587831_thumb.jpg

post-51207-0-80796600-1478588139_thumb.jpg

Dog in question about 8 weeks ago

post-51207-0-36636100-1478588329_thumb.jpg

Dog as a baby pup (with litter mates)

Edited by Scottsmum

Without looking at DNA results I would have picked Kelpie but as all the pups are cream and quite small something unknown that is smaller in there. The eyes don't look all Kelpie thou.

Interesting. Will the pup be about 50cm at the shoulder fully grown?

Nice pup thou.

I think thats probably quite accurate

Without looking at DNA results I would have picked Kelpie but as all the pups are cream and quite small something unknown that is smaller in there. The eyes don't look all Kelpie thou.

Interesting. Will the pup be about 50cm at the shoulder fully grown?

Nice pup thou.

Koolies can be quite small