Only One Dog Of Breed Entered?

twopuppas

Hi guys, hoping someone can answer this. Sorry in advance if it's a silly question - I've been attending dog shows (just watching, would love to show one day in the future!) and sometimes I'll only see one dog of a breed around the show. Other times, I never even see either of my dog breeds in the show.

If only one dog is entered of any particular breed, are they disqualified or do they have some kind of 'automatic win'? Do they still qualify for points if there's no other dog/bitch in their breed to go up against?

Thanks in advance!

In answer to your question, it is not unusual to see only one dog of a breed entered, more likely it is a rare breed, other times it could be a judge factor that does not attract entries.

If the judge on the day deems that the specimen, the only one entered, is a good representative of the breed they will be awarded with their challenge certificate with six points, five for the show plus one for the dog itself.

When i first started showing Frenchies back in 1983 I was the only person in my state with them and I titled the ones that I showed, this went on for about nine years before another person started showing a dog that I sold them.

BTW even being the only entry for the breed I did win group and in show classes with them, which proved that they were a good representative of the breed, it is harder to win against the standard, they have to be good, than sometimes competitors.

In theory, a judge judges the dog against the Breed Standard, not against the competition, so it shouldn't matter whether a dog is the only representative of its breed at a show. The judge also signs the declaration on the Challenge Certificate that states that in their opinion the dog is clearly of sufficient quality to warrant being awarded the title of Australian Champion. Because it is subjective, some judges might be happy to award a dog, others mightn't.

As Mjosa said, Group and In Show awards are also there for the winning with a minority, or numerically small breed. Just this past weekend, as the only Lowchen entered at three shows, my puppy won Baby In Group at all three shows and Baby In Show at the third. He's now won 6 Baby In Group and 1 Baby In Show from just 8 shows. He has had breed competition at only one of these shows and he won Baby of Breed at that as well, so it's not nececessarily a fluke.

Basically, if they're good enough, they'll win. If they're moderately acceptable, they might still do ok, but you can't fool all of the judges all of the time.

In theory, a judge judges the dog against the Breed Standard, not against the competition, so it shouldn't matter whether a dog is the only representative of its breed at a show. The judge also signs the declaration on the Challenge Certificate that states that in their opinion the dog is clearly of sufficient quality to warrant being awarded the title of Australian Champion. Because it is subjective, some judges might be happy to award a dog, others mightn't.

As Mjosa said, Group and In Show awards are also there for the winning with a minority, or numerically small breed. Just this past weekend, as the only Lowchen entered at three shows, my puppy won Baby In Group at all three shows and Baby In Show at the third. He's now won 6 Baby In Group and 1 Baby In Show from just 8 shows. He has had breed competition at only one of these shows and he won Baby of Breed at that as well, so it's not nececessarily a fluke.

Basically, if they're good enough, they'll win. If they're moderately acceptable, they might still do ok, but you can't fool all of the judges all of the time.

Thanks guys! I'm looking at getting into showing and I suspect on a few occasions we might be up against the breed standard. We'll see how we go! :laugh:

For the last 18 months, I have had the only one of my breed being shown in the country, being a rare breed.

He's almost 2 & has won a few class in group and a RUBIG ????

In a few weeks , we will have 2 baby Bergamascos out at the shows , one with me in SA and the other with his breeder in NSW, so at least he now won't be the only one ????

Interestingly, at the Launceston Royal (just finished yesterday), one of the judges was very pedantic when it came to singleton dogs in a breed. Many no-awards and challenges withheld, even on Multi Best In Show winning Supreme Champions.

So yes, it can and probably will happen. You're at the mercy of the judge on the day.